Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Originally posted by sgruby

I haven't had any users report extra charges lately
    Does this mean you've had users report charges some time back?

Best,
    --Mathew
    Originally posted by mathewlu

Does this mean you've had users report charges some time back?

Best,
    --Mathew
    Only when they dialed numbers other than #777
    the bottom line is that YES they can see what we do, if its palm net or just blazer browser. but they go after the little guys with $29.99 unlimited vision . I have used vision non stop for months putting 100's of megs a week down and up and since my family plan is $130 a month noramally I dont have any anomilies on my bills
  4.    #24  
    quake8 I have the 49.99 plan, why'd they come after me?
    I have a $120 plan and I have been charged.
    Originally posted by longday
    quake8 I have the 49.99 plan, why'd they come after me?
    As a former Verizoner, seems to me SPCS's business model is based on technology first / human intervention second. Being able to buy a phone from any retail outlet, activate it online, view account info and change plan options online, call tech support and get an automated computer (claire), all tend to remove the need for humans at SPCS. Perhaps the CFO (probably himself a computer) has contracted programmers (or computers with enough ai to write their own code) to constantly analyse profit and loss and initiate selective t.o.s. enforcement when a certain set of criteria are met. So while very few know what the acre of servers are crunching at a given moment, you gotta admit the impetus to create an entirely automated wireless company is breath-taking in scope.

Reminds me of an original Star Trek episode where someone installs an "M5" computer in the enterprise to test its abilities compared to humans, but it arms itself and starts annihilating the other startfleet ships in the area. I don't remember how they shut the thing off, but the moral of the story was that humans serve an important role and should not be eliminated completely.
    David
    I called sprint today and asked them about all this and i was told that as long as i don't dial a isp or another number to get internet access, that i would be fine, he said it was ok just using #777, and that would go under my unlimited data plan
    well that was smart of you to let sprint know you planned on doing that! i'm sure they're happy about that...
    Originally posted by 003oret
    well that was smart of you to let sprint know you planned on doing that! i'm sure they're happy about that...
    No kidding, LOL.
    What, is there a Sprint fitler on this board? I am sure there are a lot of people that watch this board, never post or resigister. If I had to guess, I would say perhaps Handsrping, Sprint, Palm, other smartpohone companies and the like.

Just my 2-cetns,matt burkhard
    Being a technology lawyer, I just had to read the terms of service from top to bottom. Nowhere do they prohibit this type of usage. Unless SprintPCS has some secret, additional terms of service, I don't know how they can prohibit unlimited usage via PdaNet. Of course, they are free to change those terms at any time upon notice, as they effectively did when they switched from per KB pricing to unlimited data for a fixed fee.

Would someone please explain to me what I am missing here? Also, I fail to understand how SprintPCS can differentiate between data sessions that end at the Treo and data sessions that pass through to a laptop. No one has offered up any kind of reasonable explanation for this. I don't think they can do it, so long as you are not making a data call (such as dialing up an ISP). I could be completely wrong, and if so, I would love to hear how this sort of monitoring is accomplished.

One more related note. I use SnapperMail and QuickOffice Premiere. When I am away from the office for a couple of days without my laptop, it is not uncommon for me to run many MB of data through my device forwarding large attachments that I receive and modify. I can think of one occasion where I sent over 10MB of data via SnapperMail in one session. How would this use be distinguished from using the Treo as a "modem" (technically it's not) via PdaNet?

Just curious.
    Originally posted by curtiscarmack

Would someone please explain to me what I am missing here? Also, I fail to understand how SprintPCS can differentiate between data sessions that end at the Treo and data sessions that pass through to a laptop.
    It's just the amount of data. Looking at my desktop connection, since yesterday I've used the network for over a gigabyte of data. Surely you can't do that on a Treo by using Blazer and the like.
    Kurt, I agree that I would never use PdaNet the same way I use my broadband connection. On the other hand, in a typical week of traveling using PdaNet, I may only run about 50-75 MB of data through the Treo. I could easily get to 20-30 MB or more in a week just on the Treo (because of large e-mail attachments). I guess I would like some guidance from Sprint.

All of the foregoing presupposes some sort of limit on the amount of data transferred and/or the method used to access data. While this makes sense to me from a business perspective, I still don't see where Sprint has imposed anything like this in their terms of service.

All that said, I agree with your point that the amount of usage would be the most likely way Sprint would monitor this, though it is not an infallible method.
  14. twc
    How do you do this, via the USB cable? I'm sure this question has been asked before, but I can't find the answer. What software is required?

Thanks in advance for any help.
    Originally posted by twc
    Thanks in advance for any help.
    You're welcome, click here.
    David
    Originally posted by KRamsauer
    It's just the amount of data. Looking at my desktop connection, since yesterday I've used the network for over a gigabyte of data. Surely you can't do that on a Treo by using Blazer and the like.
    But with an i700 and streaming video to ppcpe media player, one could download huge amounts of data (provided an electric socket is nearby to keep the samsung juiced).
    David
    Originally posted by drw
    But with an i700 and streaming video to ppcpe media player, one could download huge amounts of data (provided an electric socket is nearby to keep the samsung juiced).
    And again, that would be using the i700 in ways other than intended. I fail to see your point.
    Here is a link that answers question about charges for PdaNet usage: http://www.junefabrics.com/palmnet/faq.php#charge

As for the Sprint PCS network, the conclusion as of today is that you should not get charged for regular network usage...I know...almost too good to be true.

Even if Sprint might change plan in the future, I am not too concern about that. For regular usage this should not impact too much in terms of charges. The fact is that the PdaNet software and our support has been driving people towards Treo 300 with the Sprint plan, so the software and the plan are actually promoting their sign-up.

Personally I don't encourage substantial heavy usage (such as more than 100M/month) through Treo. I use Treo as my wireless ISP regularly and don't even get half of that traffic.

Someone mentioned "Casual Minute Charges", it will only occur when you dial your own ISP through a number different than "#777". It won't apply to you if you don't even know what that means, as it requires you to be an expert user to set up dial up networking in the latest version 2.02.
    PdaNet(PalmNet) Support
    Let your PC go online using Treo
    <a href="http://www.junefabrics.com/palmnet">http://www.junefabrics.com/palmnet</a>
    Originally posted by KRamsauer
    And again, that would be using the i700 in ways other than intended. I fail to see your point.
    Every pocket pc phone edition phone will include pocket pc phone edition media player. If sprintpcs doesn't intend users to use any program that accesses the internet on their pocket pc phone edition phone other than pocket pc internet explorer, then they will have to make special arrangements with microsoft to make sure that it's impossible to install pocketpc phone edition media player on a vision pocket pc phone edition device.

Should sprintpcs say, "hey, you used 6 gigs last month you must have connected the pocketpc phone edition phone to a laptop", in this instance one must respond "negative, I was using the installed pocketpc phone edition media player to view streaming media a lot on the pocket pc phone edition phone only".

If sprint doesn't intend future users of the i700 to use it a lot in a standalone manner, then they should define "unlimited".
    David
    Okay, I thought you were talking about the Palm i705. Perhaps they wouldn't be as testy with people using PPCs. That does seem to be reasonable (if extremely rare).
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast