Global Posts
    180 Global Posts
    If you have some time do a search on the Web for the NEC 808. It looks like an evolution Up from the TREO with some nice features and capabilities.
    Can you give us a link of what you're talking about? A google search gives me alot of gibberish...
    Originally posted by gfunkmagic
    gibberish...
    meaning GSM, an instant disqualifier.
    David
    i can't read it, but there is a pic
    http://www.cellulari.it/html/arcmaga...Darticolo=4910
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Here's a good shot of the thing.

http://www.nec.co.uk/mobile_e808.asp

WC
    Warren C.
    It is good looking and looks well built. What OS does it use?

A few negatives, though:

GSM
    1-1/4" thick
    small screen

Handspring will do better (I hope).
    It almost looked like the 808 had a proprietary OS, but the buttons above the keyboard looked very similar to the palm os. I hope it's not a proprietary operating system!

What about expansion cards? Although 64mb is a lot more than 16mb, the picture capability, video playback, voice recording, etc. will chew up memory quickly.

I have to admit, it almost looks like the next version of treo!

Cluemeister
    There is mention of Java support on one of the above-referenced sites. I am suspecting it's not Palm, but maybe Linux.

Just a guess. I really like the form factor and could live with the thickness if other dimensions were reduced. That is, if the screen isn't smaller than on the Treo.

Geoffrey
    Global Posts
    313 Global Posts
    More information is at: http://www.3g.co.uk/PR/Feb2003/4969.htm
    Henry L lazarus hlazar@netaxs.com
    www.netaxs.com/~hlazar/
    www.netaxs.com/~hlazar/god.html
    I agree. This or something very similar is the form factor of the future. If they can work in a standard numeric keypad as well as the thumboard, include a SDIO slot, thin the unit down to <1" and make the screen 320 x 320 at >2-3/4" diagonal, we'd have the perfect (HA!) device. Oh, and use a stable OS for which plenty of software is available.

The hinge on this phone looks to be a HUGE improvement over the current Treo!
    Originally posted by scrinch
    I agree. This or something very similar is the form factor of the future. If they can work in a standard numeric keypad as well as the thumboard, include a SDIO slot, thin the unit down to <1" and make the screen 320 x 320 at >2-3/4" diagonal, we'd have the perfect (HA!) device. Oh, and use a stable OS for which plenty of software is available.

The hinge on this phone looks to be a HUGE improvement over the current Treo!
    A standard numeric keypad PLUS QEWRTY keypad? I wonder how this would be even possible? The only possibility I can think of would be to have the numeric keypad on the outside of the flip cover, but then this would leave the keys exposed to accidental pressing! Interesting concept but I really don't see how this could be efficiently done...

A standard numeric keypad PLUS QEWRTY keypad? I wonder how this would be even possible? The only possibility I can think of would be to have the numeric keypad on the outside of the flip cover, but then this would leave the keys exposed to accidental pressing! Interesting concept but I really don't see how this could be efficiently done...
    Most phones with external keys have a keylock.
    I don't know if anybody here did the metric conversion, but the thing is huge! About the same height as the Treo, but much wider.

My Treo is already at least a half an inch too wide for comfortable phone use. I make it work, but it would be much nicer if it went on a diet to lose that half inch.

Paul
    needs an external cid or someway you can check to see who is calling you without opening your phone.
    A standard numeric keypad PLUS QEWRTY keypad? I wonder how this would be even possible?
    Check out the Fastap keypad here. The idea is to use the space between the numeric keys for alphabetic keys. Looks intriguing! It would be a gamble for Handspring, but a solution like this one could appeal to both the "phone-first" and "PDA-first" crowds.
    Last edited by scrinch; 04/15/2003 at 05:51 PM.