Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    At my company we have two Treo 300s. One of them has developed a weird screen problem. Just off center there is a something that appears to be a bacterial growth (for lack of better words). It is yellow in color and when you look at it through a magnifying glass it looks like crystal growth. It is about half the size of a dime. When you hold the Treo at an angle so that you can barely see the screen it is very bright. You can even see it (dimly) when the screen is turned off.

Anyone seen this? And, who should I contact? Handspring or Sprint?

Thanks.
    Sprint stores do returns for Treo 300s; Sprint handles all that stuff not Handspring. Take it to the store. It is probably something covered under warranty. I cracked my screen once and the screen turned blue around the cracks and had yellow spots. Sounds like you just have yellow on its own though.
    your pixels are dying. take it to sprint. they will replace it on the spot. happened to me with two different treos. incidentally i'm on treo #6. and i've loved all 6 of them!!!
    It's common with most of Treos .. will be quite visible if the screen background is dark .. you will notice area off the center where the it is kind of different color than the rest
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    Well, we called Sprint and they said a local store would replace it. What's weird about the problem is that if you rub the screen where the artifacts show up they tend to move around and change shape. Oh well, if others have had the problem I guess it is well known.

Thanks for the help.
    the store will replace it??

did you buy it ther and did you have insurance?
    I have this problem too: an opaque yellow spot a little smaller than a dime, surrounded by a discolored halo. It happened suddenly: I was on an airplane, using my pilot with no problems. When I got off the plane and took it out of my pocket to look at the time, this spot had appeared at the top edge of the screen near the lefthand side of the hinge. Over the course of the next day or so, it migrated down half an inch to where it rests presently, in the middle of my @!#$ screen.

I took it to the Sprint store where I bought the phone and their technician said "That's a pressure spot. I can't replace it." To make a long story long, I spoke for quite a while on the phone with Sprint customer service and they said they'd replace it for free but they ended up charging me for two treos, so I refused delivery of both.

Anyway, my current plan is to take it to another Sprint store that hopefully has a more helpful technician.
    goto the store and say you are dropping calls and it locks up

dont tell them the screen is a problem

its obvious you pushed on it way to hard and broke it, the only way your getting a free treo is if it locks up and or misses/drops calls
    That's a good idea.

It's not obvious to me that I "pushed on it way too hard" though. I certainly didn't do so consciously.

The spring in the hinge makes a clicking noise when I open it, so perhaps it clicks against the edge of the LCD and that caused the pressure on the screen if, indeed, the spot was caused by excessive pressure.
    Originally posted by quake8
    goto the store and say you are dropping calls and it locks up

dont tell them the screen is a problem

its obvious you pushed on it way to hard and broke it, the only way your getting a free treo is if it locks up and or misses/drops calls
    Moral qualms aside (lying is generally a bad idea, especially when it's for monetary gain), you think they aren't going to turn it on and test it? And then they'll see the pressure spot and (perhaps rightly) reject the claim.
    I purchased my Treo 300 in early May. Late June I noticed three yellow specks in a triangle shape in the center of the unit. They are very noticeable but I did not bring it to Sprint's attention because I was reluctant to receive a refurbished unit with a history of problems. I've been happy with my unit...no problems with battery drain, cracked cover, etc.

Yesterday I noticed another yellow spot the size of a dime. I could no longer ignore this and visited a Sprint Store today. They agreed to ship me a unit via UPS within a few business days. I do have the equipment replacement plan, but I was not requested to pay the $35 deductible. A service technician did not examine the unit. The representative looked at the spots and simply requested a new unit online.

I'm not looking forward to receiving a refurbished unit. I was trying to hold out until the 600s are available as a replacement
    Originally posted by kwcampbell
    I'm not looking forward to receiving a refurbished unit. I was trying to hold out until the 600s are available as a replacement
    With many Treos sitting around unsold I would be surprised if they offer a 600 as a replacement.
    Originally posted by quake8
    its obvious you pushed on it way to hard and broke it
    I don't think it's obvious he pushed on it. Several people are experiencing the same thing, my boss for instance showed me his treo the other day with a yellow circle exactly as described by other users. He went to the sprint store and they gave him a replacement. No insurance claim as it's a warranty item. He's on treo #4 now (#1, #2 both had malfunctioning batteries). I like how we're immediately blaming the users when there's a problem. Like when the 270's screens started failing, users were faulted for running hacks or something. Later on, Handspring admitted the batch was faulty.
    David
    Originally posted by KRamsauer
    With many Treos sitting around unsold I would be surprised if they offer a 600 as a replacement.
    If a smartphone lemon law were to be drafted, I'd say give the manufacturer 2 attempts to fix the =same= problem or 3 attempts overall after which time the full purchase price would be refunded to the customer so he/she can buy something else.
    David
    I received a refurb unit after problems with my connector at the bottom - it was FAR better than the original, which was purchased in August of last year. The refurb had no hinge wobble, the paint has not come off at all, and it seems more solid overall.
    Embrace the refurb!
    I finally took my phone into a different Sprint store. They were much more helpful and agreed to replace the phone with a minimum of hassles.

The only thing they were hesitant about was that the serial number was worn off the back of the phone. That was almost a deal-breaker. So now that I received my new (refurb?) phone, the first thing I am going to do is cover that flimsy little barcode label on the back with a piece of scotch tape.

For those of you in Los Angeles, I highly recommend the Hollywood store near the Beverly Center. The service department at the one in Santa Monica was not so helpful.
    I had that problem too. Sprint replaced it with a brand new phone -- no questions asked. I have not had a problem with the phone since. I just wish I could get a little better coverage from Sprint as my vacation home is 1 mile from where coverage ends.
    hey dudes

I took my phone, with the yellow growth, to the Pasadena Sprint PCS store

they told me it was a manufacturer's defect and it would be replaced right away

they didn't have any in stock, so HandSpring will be sending me a refurbished one

btw --- are all of your phones being replaced with Refurbished or new ones?

THANKS!!!!
    BLUETOOTH!!!!
    ...replaced with refurb.
    Hi,

Well I seem to have developed the so called "pressure spot", described by Joee...

Used it today at Noon. Had left it in the Car in the morning to charge up... The Color seemed a bit faded around the edges... figured it might have been the heat in the car... Used it seemed OK... Put it back on the charger in the Car, then found this afternoon the dime sized Yellow dot of death.

Thinking back on it... My Treo has had a kind of color fade streak issue, but I figured that was something to do with the screen protector...

Any thoughts on repair? Now that it's out of warranty? Just recently replaced the battery... Figured I'd be able to get another year or so out of it. Guess NOT!

For now I can work around the spot. The screen still responds to touch, I just need to move stuff around the screen to see around it...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast