Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I have written a small program for Windows that will monitor your Exchange inbox and send an alert to any e-mail address when new messages arrive. I use it to send a one-way text message to my Treo 300 whenever I get new mail on the Exchange server.

I put this together in just a few hours and it is functional, but should be considered an alpha release program. Anyone who would like to try it is welcome to take a look at

http://www.dogspots.com/emailnotify/.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

EMail Notify has been tested with Exchange Server 5.5, but it should work with other versions as well. It is useful for sending alerts to any cell phone, pager or pda that can receive text messages through an e-mail address. It has a delay that when set will only send alerts if a message sits untouched for a certain length of time. This eliminates the need to turn alerts on and off when you come and go from your desk. It also has a schedule feature to limit alerts so that they are only sent during certain times of the day.

I created this program because I was disappointed with the e-mail options for my new Treo 300. I needed something that could read the mail on my Exchange Server and would alert me when new mail came in. I started using Sprint Business Connection and when it was working it did exactly what I needed, but it proved to be unreliable. Most of the time it would fail to actually send alerts and the dates in the Treo client would always get messed up. Then the alerts would always seem to start working when I was at my desk actually reading mail on my desktop computer. I thought about turning off the alerts when I was at my desk, but I was afraid I would never get them working again. Finally I decided to give up on Business Connection altogether; I tried several e-mail clients and settled on SnapperMail. SnapperMail works great, but it doesn't have a way to alert me to e-mail as soon as it arrives; it can only check on a schedule. EMail Notify allows me to use whatever e-mail client I choose and still get alerts whenever I get a new message.
    The challenge with this, IMO is if you get a lot of e-mails (I get at least 200 per day), an alert for every one of them would drive me crazy. Personally, I prefer either the SnapperMail approach or OWA.
    Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    That's why I've asked Bill to allow for customization of the SMS alert message. I use BaseJet, and, if I can customize the alert message, I can trigger a pull of the new message.

Once I can do this, I just get the 200+ messages a day delivered to my Treo as they arrive.

Maybe Will can build something like this into Snapper...
  4.    #4  
    Originally posted by Maniac8888
    The challenge with this, IMO is if you get a lot of e-mails (I get at least 200 per day), an alert for every one of them would drive me crazy. Personally, I prefer either the SnapperMail approach or OWA.
    I have added a new feature that allows you to specify that only one alert is sent for all of the messages that have come in since the last alert. So, if you set the delay to 60 minutes, the program will start and then wait for 60 minutes. After the first 60 min, if any e-mails have come in, it will send one alert telling you how many messages have come in. Then it will wait another 60 min. If after 60 minutes no messages have come in, it will do nothing and wait until the next message comes in. When that next message comes in, it will send an alert and then start the timer over, waiting 60 minutes before it does anything again. I think this should significantly cut down on the number of alerts you get but still benefit from not having to check for mail on a schedule.
  5.    #5  
    Originally posted by KKenna
    That's why I've asked Bill to allow for customization of the SMS alert message. I use BaseJet, and, if I can customize the alert message, I can trigger a pull of the new message.

Once I can do this, I just get the 200+ messages a day delivered to my Treo as they arrive.
    The customization is in there now. Please let me know how it works for you.

Maybe Will can build something like this into Snapper...
    It would be really cool if Snapper could be triggered to do a fetch.
    Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    I've got it loaded, and it's the perfect compliment to BaseJet running on the Treo 300. I've configured it to wait 5 seconds before sending the alert to give Qurb time to filter SPAM, and set the alert subject to mailer@basejet.com.

Works like a charm...

Thanks Bill !!!
    I've got it loaded, and it's the perfect compliment to BaseJet running on the Treo 300. I've configured it to wait 5 seconds before sending the alert to give Qurb time to filter SPAM, and set the alert subject to mailer@basejet.com.

Works like a charm...

Thanks Bill !!!
    Basejet has put out another update which fixed the SMS trigger bugs I had with Outlook. Now I set the interval and it will only trigger during those intervals if new mail has been received, exactly like it did way back in build 25 or so.

here are the notes from their web site:

04/14/2003
    Fixed SMS triggering related bugs in Launcher
    Added support for Excel and PowerPoint files
    Added date filtering support for IMAP
    Oh cool. Basejet might actually work as advertised now?
    Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    Maybe it's just me, but I installed the update... No SMS trigger. I uninstalled the software from both the Treo and the desktop (even removed the BaseJet directory), and still no SMS trigger.

Going back to using emailnotify. I've given up on BaseJet ever moving this product forward. They must've lost their lead programmer or something...
    Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    OK. Nevermind. It seems to be working now. It looks to me like about exactly an hour after I installed the update, the SMS triggers started comming through.

Very weird...
    OK. Nevermind. It seems to be working now. It looks to me like about exactly an hour after I installed the update, the SMS triggers started comming through.

Very weird...
    For some reason there seems to be a one hour delay on a few things in Basejet. For instance when you do on-device polling, it won't take effect for an hour.
    I don't know if you're a Palm coder Bill, but SnapperMail does have a very simple API for third party apps to trigger it into a send and fetch operation. It came out in version 1.6 and I think Notify Mail (and a few others) currently use it - can't be sure though cos I aint tried it.

-W
    Will Lau

www.snappermail.com

A Killer Email Client for Palm OS Smartphones, now available...
    Thanks for this application Bill- it works like a charm!

I find Email Notify most useful when used in combination with a good SPAM filter. It you give your filter time to process the mail before the EmailNotify delay, then you will not be innundated with false alarms, and your Treo will then let you know only when you get valid emails.

I find SpamBayes most useful for filtering:
    http://spambayes.sourceforge.net/
    There is an Outlook plugin for it. It is a very smart program which basically you train to recognize your specific junk mail. I get few false positives on it, and like how it is constantly adapting to the latest spam signatures.
    The downside is that your client Outlook must be running all the time in order for the filtering to work. However, this is not a problem for me, and the superior filtering is well worth it.

I use Outlook 2000, Exchange 2000.

In fact, while working at my desk in some other application, I will hear the bing on my desktop telling me I got mail. If my Treo also then beeps, I know it's good mail. Otherwise, it's junk and I don't even bother to look at it.

It is great to be in a meeting, or on the road, and see what email you're getting. It allows me to respond to clients (and my spouse) very rapidly.

Cheers,
    Daniel Williams

PS: A co-worker also uses EmailNotify, but the memory used by it grows constanly over a few hours. Is this a memory leak?
    I've been using Email Notify for my POP3 accounts for months and I love it. I like being notified of e-mail right away but not having SnapperMail fetch it automatically because I don't always want to download the e-mail right then and there. Besides, setting SnapperMail to look for e-mail every 10 minutes or so will kill the battery. Thanks for the great program Bill.
  15.    #15  
    Thanks for the kind words about EMailNotify.

I'll look into the memory issue and post here when there is a new version that fixes the problem.

Again, thanks for the feedback. I appreciate it.

-bill
  16.    #16  
    Originally posted by snapperfish
    I don't know if you're a Palm coder Bill, but SnapperMail does have a very simple API for third party apps to trigger it into a send and fetch operation. It came out in version 1.6 and I think Notify Mail (and a few others) currently use it - can't be sure though cos I aint tried it.

-W
    Will, I am not a Palm coder. EMailNotify runs on a windows machine and sends a message to the Treo when new mail arrives in a mailbox.

Most people use TreoHelper to intercept the message when it arrives on the Treo to trigger a fetch in SnapperMail.

-Bill

P.S.: I use SnapperMail and think it is great. Thanks for a great program.
    Does anyone have a copy of EmailNotify? I know this is a very old thread, but this utility seems to do exactly what I'm looking for. The link no longer works and I PM'd the author (Bill Fugina), but I don't think he is active here anymore.

If not, does anybody have a suggestion for a similar utility?
    I'm using the SMS trigger feature of Chatteremail and need something lightweight to send an SMS whenever I get new email from my exchange account.

Hmm, I think old Sprint Business connect application used SMS for redirecting mail. I wonder if I could use that..
    Quote Originally Posted by Zath View Post
    Does anyone have a copy of EmailNotify? I know this is a very old thread, but this utility seems to do exactly what I'm looking for. The link no longer works and I PM'd the author (Bill Fugina), but I don't think he is active here anymore.

If not, does anybody have a suggestion for a similar utility?
    I'm using the SMS trigger feature of Chatteremail and need something lightweight to send an SMS whenever I get new email from my exchange account.

Hmm, I think old Sprint Business connect application used SMS for redirecting mail. I wonder if I could use that..
    Wow, talking about an old thread! I still have a copy laying around somewhere, but I'm at work right now. I'll post it tonight.
    Nevermind, found it already.

http://www.tps-reports.com/EMailNotify.zip
  20.    #20  
    I do not frequent this website any longer, but it was good enough to send me an email when you replied to my thread.

My website is still up, but it seems very slow. I'll check with the hosting company and see what the problem is.

The website is http://www.dogspots.com/EMailNotify/

There is a support website for EMailNotify, but there has been absolutely no traffic on it, so there isn't anything useful there now, but if you have any trouble or questions, please post there and I will reply.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast