Global Posts
    180 Global Posts
    What is going on with a Handspring more than a year ago the 180 and 270 models came out, with the first picture some time before they were launched. Next August will be the 1st year birthday of my 300. So when is Hanspring going to make the move ? of announcing at least the new unit details. If they wait for October they will find a market with New Palm Os , Pocket Pc Phones and new Smarthphones by Microsoft , Samsung & Motorola. They better hurry up
    I was at a breakfast in San Diego last week where Paul Jacobs - President of Qualcomm Wireless and son of the founder spoke. He was slinging around the new kyocera--although he complained it had a fatal flaw--no keyboard.

I asked the presentation about rumors of a new treo. He said he was actually meeting with Donna D. from Handspring that same day and that he had seen the the new treo and that it was "awesome". Supposedly to come out this summer...
    Oh please please please say it's using CDMA and will work on the Sprint network
    Uh huh - yup - QCOM's Big Guy says DD showed him the awesome new Treo - uh huh.

Yup.

For sure.

Uh huh.
    What technology does Qualcomm hold all the patents on again? I'm guessing DonnaD wouldn't be meeting with the president of Qualcomm about a GSM version!

Why haven't we seen anything at the FCC website, if the new Treo is coming out this summer? The FCC usually leaks details and photos at least a few months before release.
    Y'all please quit it. I just got my Treo300 Dec 1st, '02. Let me enjoy it a bit longer. :-)
    Originally posted by scrinch
    Why haven't we seen anything at the FCC website, if the new Treo is coming out this summer? The FCC usually leaks details and photos at least a few months before release.
    That's the prime reason why I think it will be amazing if we see any new phone from Handspring before the Christmas shopping season (and even then it could be close).
    All of the Treo price dropping usually means that they are trying to clear out their stocks for newer models. Of course, it could also mean that Treo 300 sales have stalled, and they are trying to jump start things again.

It seems to me that the Treo 300 is more successful than it's GSM counterparts (although I haven't seen the sales figures) so it wouldn't suprise me if they released their next gen stuff on CDMA first.

All that being said, I still think that it will be at least Sept or Oct before we see new Treo hardware on the shelves.
    Also, I did a little bit of research. Unlike the nine month lead times that showed up with some of the Samsung products (like the I330), the lead time between FCC approval and Sprint announcement of Handspring product was rather short.

The information about the Treo 300 showed up on the FCC website on July 9, 2002, and Sprint started delivering the Treo 300 on August 8 (just short of one month). Of course, Sprint had some financial "skin in the game", as it had help fund the Treo 300 development project.

Still, the absence of FCC approval or acknowledgement still don't mean that we wont see a new Treo in a month and a half, based on previous performance.

Again, that being said, I still don't think we will see a new Treo before September.
    I'm not sure why the President of QCOM Wireless Group meeting with the President of HAND would be surprizing...or unbelievable. After all, the treo 300 is based on CDMA. More importantly, QCOM made a significant investment in HAND (I think it was north of $10 Mil) back in '01. I know from business school buddies who work at QCOM it wasn't Donna's first visit to QCOM by any means.

My take on the next treo is that the release will be an evolutionary refresh, not a total redesign. I'm hoping for a better, brighter screen, faster processer, updated OS, SD Card, better battery life, and oh...did I mention...a smaller form factor?

Interestingly, Paul Jacobs seemed quite taken with the treo 300. He mentioned he'd be using a treo 300 for his personal phone if it weren't for Sprint's shoddy coverage in San Diego...I think it also has to do with the fact that Verizon doesn't support the treo right now and verizon is QCOM's largest domestic customer.
    Originally posted by pcruz
    My take on the next treo is that the release will be an evolutionary refresh, not a total redesign. I'm hoping for a better, brighter screen, faster processer, updated OS, SD Card, better battery life, and oh...did I mention...a smaller form factor?
    this is all i'm hoping for. i dont really need the smaller form factor, but will take it.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    if it doesn't have built in BlueTooth they can keep it, and I'll go with the T608 coming out next month.