1.    #1  
    Anybody aware of a hack or other software that will allow me to turn the backlight on and off quickly in any app? I'm not talking about the backlight gadget in LauncherX or something like glowhack. Those are limited in their own ways (you have to be in LauncherX to use the gadget, and glowhack is time-related).

Basically, I'm trying to get back the ability my old Palm Pilot had-- swipe the stylus vertically up the screen and it toggled the backlight.

Oh, and I have a 270 FWIW. And yes, I know about double-clicking the power button. I just hate that because half the time I end up shutting my Treo off by accident.
    Have you looked at the MultiBacklight Hack? You'll have to do a search but it works for me.
  3.    #3  
    Hey, not bad! That works pretty well. And when I'm not in a text-entry situation, KeyCapsHack allows me to just click-and-hold on the Q button, turning it into a contrast button, which MultiBacklight Hack turns into a backlight toggle. Cool, thanks!

Of course, I can't seem to adjust the contrast now, but since I never touched it after the first day I owned the 270, I couldn't care less.

Thanks a ton for the suggestion.
    Simple. Option button (blue) and Q. That half moon is the contrast brightness control.

-D
    Originally posted by computerfixitguy
    Simple. Option button (blue) and Q. That half moon is the contrast brightness control.

-D
    I don't think that's going to work because of the hack he has installed to turn the contrast button into the backlight button.
    Originally posted by computerfixitguy

-D
    Nope. It is contrast button and page up with this hack.
  7.    #7  
    Nope, option-Q toggles the backlight now (therefore I don't have access to the Contrast control, but again, I don't care about that). Option-page up does nothing special (other than paging-up).
    Here are the instructions included with the hack.

------------
    Instructions
    ------------
    To use this program simply enable Backlight Hack in Hackmaster. Then anytime you hit the
    contrast button the backlight will be toggled. If you hold the contrast button down it
    will toggle the mode between normal backlight and inverted backlight. To access the
    contrast function, hold the contrast button and hit the pageup key.
    If you prefer the inverted mode to the "normal" mode, you can go to the setup dialog (the
    + in hackmaster) and check the "Default to inverted mode" checkbox.
    <removed>
    Last edited by piano; 05/01/2003 at 06:45 PM.
    Or
    you could use the <Pen> option in <Buttons> in <prefs> to activate the old backlite swipe function [post 1.1.1 ugrade]
    Originally posted by BrickWalls
    Or
    you could use the <Pen> option in <Buttons> in <prefs> to activate the old backlite swipe function [post 1.1.1 ugrade]
    I believe that option is only on the 180g. He has a 270.
  12.    #12  
    Originally posted by Appleman

I believe that option is only on the 180g. He has a 270.
    Exactly. Like I said in the original post:

Basically, I'm trying to get back the ability my old Palm Pilot had-- swipe the stylus vertically up the screen and it toggled the backlight.

But I've found that this MultiBacklight Hack works fine.
    Have you tried xLights from MotionApps (www.motionapps.com)?
  14.    #14  
    Originally posted by aivan
    Have you tried xLights from MotionApps (www.motionapps.com)?
    I did read about that one, but it seemed a bit over-reaching for what I wanted. I needed just the occasional backlight-on, not something that would always be doing stuff automatically.

I've decided that this MultiBacklight Hack is almost perfect. The only thing that would be better (for me) would be a hack that, like the original feature, would toggle the backlight with a simple vertical pen swipe. Oh well.
    Originally posted by Fleischner

I did read about that one, but it seemed a bit over-reaching for what I wanted. I needed just the occasional backlight-on, not something that would always be doing stuff automatically.

I've decided that this MultiBacklight Hack is almost perfect. The only thing that would be better (for me) would be a hack that, like the original feature, would toggle the backlight with a simple vertical pen swipe. Oh well.
    That's basically what XLights does. That or toggle it with a key press. Try the demo and see.