Page 1 of 14 12345611 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I have been having a lot of trouble with dropped calls recently...it turns out that I have outdated firmware and an old PRL...if you have also been experiencing problems, you should check yours...

You can check your versions by going to Menu -> Options -> Phone Info while in the phone application. My PRL is 10015 and my firmware is 1.02. According to Sprint, the current versions are 10018 for the PRL and ROM151 for the firmware. Sprint can update your PRL for you remotely...just call *2 on your phone...

Does anyone know how I can update the version of my firmware?
    Are there any other tips for preventing dropped calls / ensuring better reception (i.e. altering settings, removing programs that are known to interfere with the phone app)?

Thanks,
    Seth

P.S. - www.freewarepalm.com is a great place to get programs for your Treo...
    The Preferred Roaming List can be updated and it affects the behavior of CDMA phones when roaming. I don't think it is going to help the quality of your local Sprint PCS net infrastructure though. Sounds to me like you have poor signals in your area.

1.02 is the only firmware version out there and no updaters have been released for Treo 300 by Sprint or Handspring. I think you may have been misinformed.
    Originally posted by jawbreaker
    According to Sprint, the current versions are 10018 for the PRL and ROM151 for the firmware. Sprint can update your PRL for you remotely...just call *2 on your phone...
    Mine was 10015 too. I called and she typed in some stuff and said next time I dial *2 it will automatically update the PRL to 10019. It just finished, pretty cool. Though I have no idea what a Preferred Roaming List is. I don't have roaming enabled, so maybe it doesn't affect me.

As for firmware, I was told I could take it to a Sprint store to upgrade it. Doesn't sound right to me. If it is, then very cool.

Oh yeah almost forgot. Sprint has some daily/weekly phone-minutes-used SMS thing they are offering. Sends you an SMS or something. It's free for two months, and then $1.99 mo. I declined.
    Last edited by potatoho; 04/08/2003 at 05:07 PM.
    I had updated my PRL a couple of weeks ago to 10018, but unfortunately, it had no effect on my constant disconnects. It may have fixed other issues, but the one that mattered the most proabably needs to be addressed by someone going to the Cell tower and adjusting some hardware.
    Bryan Nystrom
    Natara Software, Inc.
    Back in the fall I called tech support for something and they informed me that my PRL was out of date. Like a lemming I called back and allowed Claire to update my PRL. The result sucked. I was roaming all the time instead of being on the Sprint network. Vision wasn't available anywhere. After a dozen calls I finally got them to agree to flash me back to the original PRL. They sent me to a store, who had no idea what I was talking about and couldn't do it. Finally another (arranged) call to Claire and they straightened it out. Be careful what you wish for...

Dunc
    anyone out there with a newer firmware version?
    Version 1.21 of the firmware is currently being tested for release. I have no idea what the timetable is, though.
    what will the new firmware version add to the device? SMS like treo300sms only free, I hope............
    Originally posted by starrwulfe
    what will the new firmware version add to the device? SMS like treo300sms only free, I hope............
    I suggest they do these things:

- Fix red blink of death. This is pretty much where network goes away and won't come back until a pin reset. It coincides with the red light blinking forever, even after phone is turned off. Though I've had it happen with the light blinking green forever.

- Fix turbo drain. This is where the battery drains without warning in less than an hour. My own tests indicate this has something to do with coverage loss while the 3G is active.

- Fix the radio reboots. This is a situation where the device will reboot when certain radio API times out. Doesn't bug me so much, but it should be fixed.

- Better reception without dropping calls. I have a Sanyo 4900 and through the debug screen I see the same signal strength as the Treo 300. Yet the Sanyo is more robust. It may be a better radio, but it also may just be a setting of signal strength threshold.

There's been a time or two that the device has acted weird, such as failing to hang up a call, or hanging forever on a network connect. Perhaps when they fix the above, those situations will also go away.
    I suggest they do these things:

- Fix red blink of death. This is pretty much where network goes away and won't come back until a pin reset. It coincides with the red light blinking forever, even after phone is turned off. Though I've had it happen with the light blinking green forever.

- Fix turbo drain. This is where the battery drains without warning in less than an hour. My own tests indicate this has something to do with coverage loss while the 3G is active.

- Fix the radio reboots. This is a situation where the device will reboot when certain radio API times out. Doesn't bug me so much, but it should be fixed.

- Better reception without dropping calls. I have a Sanyo 4900 and through the debug screen I see the same signal strength as the Treo 300. Yet the Sanyo is more robust. It may be a better radio, but it also may just be a setting of signal strength threshold.

It fixed all of these for me, although I did not often have the "turbo drain" problem. It doesn't add any new features of which I am aware.
    is it internal beta?
    Curtis,

Do you know how the firmware will be distributed? My experience is that the "techs" at Sprint stores barely ever get the upgrades and will generally claim they either don't have the software or the cable to do it. Of course, this was the experience with a Kyo 6035.

I hope that Sprint/HS will make the firmware upgrade available directly.

...ken
    I don't know where in the beta process this is or how it will be distributed. I just know that I was asked to test it, so I did. I'll post information as soon as I get any. Sorry not to be more helpful.
    can you asked whoever asked you to test it how some of us can help out and test as well?
    I was just told that the new firmware will likely be released within days. That's all I know at the moment.
    Based on the package I received, I expect that the new firmware will probably be made available as a download, in addition to a SprintPCS store upgrade. The package I worked with had a virtually finished installer routine, etc., that seemed to be aimed at regular users. Again, if I learn more, I will post the info.
    Curtis,

Thank you for sharing the information with us!

Ken
    Besides the Sprint store, where would we find this when it's released?

tnx!
    Does anyone have any idea what is in this upgrade?

I can't say how I know, but the installer has no related documentation explaining this.

Geoffrey
    Spill the beans ...

Is the upgrade staged somewhere available?
Page 1 of 14 12345611 ... LastLast