Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast
    Originally posted by potatoho
    Just a shot in the dark.. have you set the date/time on the device?
    No, I just checked the box to have it be automatically set when connecting to the network. This appears to have worked, as it has the correct time.

I can call *2 just fine, but anything else just gives me a "bee-boo-bee-boo-bee-boo" warning tone then it hangs up. Trying to call my Treo from a landline immediately connects with my voice mail.
    Originally posted by Dan Harkless
    I just replaced my October-vintage Treo with a new one from Circuit City (under my protection plan), and it has the old PRL 10015 and Firmware 1.02. It hasn't been activated yet, though (been over 3.5 hours, and the Sprint rep said it was supposed to be done within 2 hours), so I guess it's possible the PRL will get auto-updated at some point?
    A helpful tech at a Sprint store got my phone working today. 20-30 minutes after the phone was working again, I opened it up and there was a notification that the network settings were out-of-date (or words to that effect). It went into an auto-update, and I thought perhaps the purpose of this was to update the PRL, but when it was done it was still at 10015.
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    The only way to get a PRL update is through *2. When you get one (either by request or automatic) a voice message will let you know what's going on while you listen to elevator music.
    I've updated to PRL 10018 in the past and then tried to get to 10019 today. The Sprint droid told me that 10018 was current for my Treo but I asked her to register my Treo for an upgrade anyway. The upgrade took place and I'm still at 10018. Go figure!
    I had mine upgraded over *2 last week and it is now x19.
    What is the benifit of upgrading from:

PRL Rev: 10015
    Firmware Rev: 1.02

to the newest?

How will this help me, will it fry my phone and will I notice any improvment?

<b>The difficult is easy, the impossible takes time.</b>
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    PRL means Preferred Roaming List.

It is a database that is stored in the cell phone side of your Treo. It is essentially a list of service providers and areas of service. This includes other cell service providers that Sprint has agreements with.

So not only does the PRL tell your phone how to locate Sprint's service, but how to locate compatible service when outside of Sprint's network (roaming). The list also tells which services it prefers when there are multiple available services to choose from (so it can choose the cheapest service, for example). PRL updates can also make finding cell service faster, add new areas of service, etc.

The Treo 300 is a single mode phone operating only on 1900 CDMA, which means there aren't very many compatible service sites outside of Sprint's network. Because of this, PRL updates for the Treo 300 don't really do much for the majority of Treo 300 users.

I believe I read somewhere that the 10018 upgrade saves Sprint about $15 million per year because of new roaming agreements.
    Originally posted by jaak3
    The only way to get a PRL update is through *2. When you get one (either by request or automatic) a voice message will let you know what's going on while you listen to elevator music.
    I just did it, and a recording just kept saying thank you for calling sprint customer service or something like that. After it repeated 3 or 4 times, it just disconnected.

There was no menu option to select. What did those who upgraded do?
    Originally posted by convbcuda
    I just did it, and a recording just kept saying thank you for calling sprint customer service or something like that. After it repeated 3 or 4 times, it just disconnected.

There was no menu option to select. What did those who upgraded do?
    Did you already say "P R L Update" and tell a person you wanted an upgrade? Because you have to do that first, and then a few minutes later you can call *2 and it will go through the update.
    Originally posted by potatoho

Did you already say "P R L Update" and tell a person you wanted an upgrade? Because you have to do that first, and then a few minutes later you can call *2 and it will go through the update.
    So, I dial *2, when it answers, I say PRL Update, and then a person actually answers? They should have the recorded voice tell you to do that.
    Any update on the release of the firmware for the 300?

Paul
    The stores should have it on the 18th. There is also a confusing rumor going around (which may, actually, be true) that Sprint will release it as a download on the Sprint site that day.

I talked with some developers at Handspring about this code. They claim that all development work on the 300 is actually being done by Sprint (under license from Handspring). So the Handspring folks claim not to have it.

...means you have to wait for Sprint to do it in their own due time.

Morons.
    I called a sprint store and talked to one of the head techs. He said he just got back from some meeting and he was told that the software will be released as a download on sprint's website.
    any word whether the new firmware fixes rbod/turbodrain? or is it wait and see? yet another dead phone and resync this morning ...

mark
    Dunno, but what I found that cures that problem is to get Treo Helper and set it to turn wireless mode off after 1 minute of no service, and then set it to turn on wireless mode after 1 minute. You will never have to reset again.
    I talked to an application engineer who deployed ROM151 on a customer's hand held as an attempted fix (shot in the dark) for someone having connection problems. It made no difference.

Overall throughput seems to be increased, but the turbo drain is still there at times.

Maybe Sprint will get the next release ready to go in August and have it deployed around February of next year.

I've never before seen a company that snatched defeat from the jaws of victory as well as Sprint. They better hope that they can get their act together before (1) number portability and (2) Verizon gets a clue.
    I'm not sure where you get ROM151 from. It's actually firmware rev 1.21. I know because I got an advanced copy. Can you explain about this ROM151?

Thanks.

Geoffrey
    Dunno, but what I found that cures that problem is to get Treo Helper and set it to turn wireless mode off after 1 minute of no service, and then set it to turn on wireless mode after 1 minute. You will never have to reset again.
    ---------------------------------

This does work but TreoHelper interferes with TreoAlertMgr so that no repeating alerts work for SMS messages!
    Just a guess if this is ROM upgrade does come out it will be the last one for the Treo 300. I'm sure they'll drop it when the 600 is launched.
    If they're not selling it...they won't spend 10 seconds supporting it.
    This is my experience with other phones like the Kyo 6035 and Sprint...they could change...customer service and tech support could become a priority...Yassar Arafat could become Prime Minister of Israel...

...ken
    If you call Vision support and ask them what the latest firmware is, they'll tell you ROM151 (not 1.62). I think the terms are interchangeable.

The application engineer I've been talking to has tried to get me an advance copy to test with. I have a weird problem that I really want to test with 1.62. However, since the launch is 5 days away, they're not sending advance copies.

I'm going to document the problem in another thread. You'll like it.
Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast