Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast
    "There will be a new Treo this Fall (Q4, in time for Xmas), and it will be the shiz. Pictures from FCC will show up late Aug or Sept., depending on timeframes, followed by a real marketing campaign (which the Treo has lacked)."

where did u hear that there would be a real marketing campaign? Im wondering where they will get the funds to market? i think it will be essential for them to market this thing to help popularize it.

Everyone ive showed it to loves it, but i think they need the TV or magazines to tell them to buy it.
    Originally posted by gmaugham
    I knew someone would make a comment like this. Send me a digital camera and I'll do it.

Geoffrey

As I said, I already believe you. So you won't be getting my digital camera. That said, you really should enter the 21st century and get one. Isn't it funny how the only people in the world who don't have digital cameras these days are the ones who have access to something special and everyone asks them to post a picture of it?

Scott
    If there's any truth to that (and that poster is someone I certainly don't put much trust in), the only way there will be a big ad campaign is with Sprint footing the bill. Handspring certainly doesn't have the money for it.

Scott
    I didn't say I don't have one. I just said someone should send me one

Actually, I don't know where mine is. It's an old one, so I should get a new one, however, my Nikon SLR is great and I just have the pictures put onto CDs whenever I develop a roll. Admittedly, I have to wait to finish a roll.

Geoffrey

Originally posted by Scott R
    That said, you really should enter the 21st century and get one.
    Here it is.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Originally posted by gmaugham
    Here it is.
    What's that in the top-left corner in the title bar of the pop-up window? It looks like an "X".

Scott
    It's from software I use called Battery Line Hack.

Geoffrey
    In ref to HAND marketing capmpaign, I know that they are planning a direct mail piece. Whose mailing list and how significant I do not know...
    I hate it when somebody has a cooler
    toy than me...
    Global Posts
    143 Global Posts
    Just so we are clear, when I updated my PRL over the air two weeks ago, I now reflect Rev 10019.

I am not sure what this says about the Sprint rep who claims there is a Firmware upgrade, given that one would presume he has access to the lastest PRL rev as well, but I thought I would just throw this out there as something worth considering when trying to determine if we are having our collective chains yanked.
    I know that 10019 was out. I vaguely remember someone on here mentioning a problem after upgrading their PRL and then having to downgrade. For whatever reason, the firmware upgrade, which includes a PRL upgrade (installed separately), has 10018. I would guess that it was the most up-to-date when Handspring was putting together the package.

Geoffrey
    Global Posts
    143 Global Posts
    OK, so any word when it will be released to the vast unwashed? or is this likely to remain an inhouse upgrade until the new Treo is released in Q! '04 (c'mon, you don't really believe they will deliver it on time, now do you? Has Handsping EVER?)
    Yes, I guess someone could forge a picture. It wouldn't be all that hard. But why do it?

Geoffrey was nice enough to share a little information with us. I don't think he got paid by anyone for it. So, why waste the time and energy to edit a picture...and then another picture?

Now, I guess we can ask why the people at Sprint state that there is no patch for the phone. It's become pretty clear that there is one...but there doesn't appear to be any economic reason for them to release it....or it actually does more to harm the phone than help.

It would appear from the rev number that there actually have been quite a few patches created (not released) as the general release is 1.02 and the patch Geoffrey has revs the ROM to 1.21.

For me, I'm just hoping that the FCC finally forces phone number portability on the mobile market when the 3rd extension on the deadline comes up this November. If that happens, I'll be seriously looking at other providers that care a little bit more about customer service and the technology they sell than Sprint. I know they may not exist, but it'll be worth it...if I can take my phone number with me to at least shop. Sure, I may pay more, but, to me, higher quality service is worth something.

As for the next Treo being great...uh huh...sure. Let's wait and see it first. I've been in the computer/software industry since 1981 and I'm still waiting on some of the great stuff that was to be released Q4 81

...ken
    Last edited by kschoenberg; 05/09/2003 at 05:20 PM.
    Got an PRL update on my new Treo over the wireless connection from Technical service. Now it shows version 10019.
    Firmware shows Rev. 1.02 . Is there a "firmware" update or not???
    They're just tech Toys Folks, There IS a higher power.
    Yes, there appears to be a ROM Upgrade.
    No, it has not been released to the general public
    No, Sprint/Handspring have not admitted that any sort of ROM Upgrade exists. In fact, they both deny its existence.
    Sounds like Area 51. Perhaps they fear people complaining that they lost data during the upgrade.
    David
    As I posted before, there is no ROM update. I challenge anyone who claims to have it to post a picture of the screen stating so. (unretouched, please). I know it's fun to start and maintain an urban legend type story, but this rediculous.

There will be a ROM update...it's called the new Treo, released in Q4 of this year.
    Originally posted by mikec
    I challenge anyone who claims to have it to post a picture of the screen stating so. (unretouched, please). I know it's fun to start and maintain an urban legend type story, but this rediculous.
    He already did it, see above. Normally I would be just as skeptical as you, but I factor in someone's post count when these sorts of things come up and gmaugham's got enough posts under his belt to earn him the benefit of the doubt (at least from me).

Scott
    As I posted before, there is no ROM update. I challenge anyone who claims to have it to post a picture of the screen stating so. (unretouched, please). I know it's fun to start and maintain an urban legend type story, but this rediculous.

There will be a ROM update...it's called the new Treo, released in Q4 of this year.
    --------------------

Well, the screenshot has been posted twice and it's pretty convincing to some of us.

Those of you who claim repeatedly that there isn't a ROM upgrade are now challenged to show some proof to the contrary other than rhetoric.
    I just got back from the spint store and I was told that the firmware is done but won't be released until June 18. I asked the guys what firmware version it was to confirm that he's not BSing and he said 1.21.

So no more interigation on poor Geoffrey.
    According to Sprint Tech Support, there is a new ROM for the Treo (they call it ROM151). They, unfortunately, require you to take your phone to a Sprint store. So I'm starting a pool. I take Flesa, Mastershard or Ethiopian Express. Here are the bets you may place:

1) I get to the Sprint store and everything goes perfectly

2) I get to the Sprint store and they say "firmware... what firmware?"

3) I get to the Sprint store and they look at my Treo, wet themselves and say "what's that"

4) I get to the Sprint store and the employees, themselves, have forgotten how to get there

I'll report back in a couple of hours.
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast