Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 491011121314
    No complaints here!

I tested all of my apps, and have had ZERO problems thus far. Here's a list of the apps I've tested since upgrading to the latest version 1.21:

Astroids
    Blazer
    Defender 2
    Eudora Email/Web
    Joust
    List (an MLS listing DB program)
    LoanWiz Pro
    Monopoly
    PalmNet
    Quick Office
    Snapper Mail
    SplashPhoto
    TCRinger
    Verichat

The only possible hitch I'm seeing thus far, is that it seems to take a bit longer to connect the Data connection.

L8r
    Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    I've also noticed it takes longer now to connect initially, but the increased connection speeds are worth the wait.
    Visor Deluxe, Treo 90, 300, 650, 700P, 700WX, Blackberry 8830 - Sprint
    Realtor - Communications Consultant
    It takes longer because it is retrying the connection multiple times if the net is busy. Before I put the update patch on, I would see FATAL EXCEPTIONS when the phone had difficulties. I could see where this would drain the battery a bit more.

The overall problems with Treo battery life I have experienced since the first day. We'll see if they addressed it with Treo 600 as they claim.

Cheers,
    Rob
    I did the update dance with star 2. It took 2 minutes.
    Everything is perfect and no rebooting was needed. I had previously removed jackflash rom material and backed all up. What seems to be different from others experience is that none of my applications needed to be restored. They were all still there and all work properly. version is now ,,,,19 Most obvious is that I now have a working phone with a good connection. Suprise!
    Sprint told me that the update is to identify all new towers in an area that were not previously known, matching some techie stuff I read months ago. It also allows for the roaming free of charge on all networks, since these were intentionally blocked, depending on plan used. So it all makes sense sort of.
    JON
    I guess I may as well chime in with my experiences...

I made note of potatoho's (I think it was him) comments and installed the application called Filez to make sure all of my apps were set to backup. A few of the files I wasn't sure what they were and left them as-is. I did a HotSync to make sure everything was backed up and then ran the upgrade program. By and large everything seemed to work well.

I can't say that I've noticed any improvement in speed or coverage, unfortunately. Everyone here seems to be seeing a noticeable speed improvement, so I guess I'll have to take your collective word for it. IMO, browsing is still too slow and most sites are still too mobile-unfriendly to be enjoyable.

Scott
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    I agree that most sites are mobile un-friendly but that didn't appear to be in the scope of this upgrade. I'm teetering on the fence of trying a Pocket PC Phone Edition to see if the online experience is any different. I'd love it for Javascript and frames to be handled by Blazer in a way other than ignoring it.
    Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    The only problem I have experineced is with the Search function. I press the Option button, then enter text to search and every time I'm getting a Fatal Exception eror. I have to reset eeach time. Anyone experiencing the same?!?
    This might be caused by the applications installed on your Treo. Each application has to implement a search routine and I suspect that one of the applications that you have is screwing up things after the upgrade. What are the applications that you installed after you got your Treo? Try un-installing them and run the search option.

-chiru
    Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    Thanks, working on that now...

Originally posted by chiru
    This might be caused by the applications installed on your Treo. Each application has to implement a search routine and I suspect that one of the applications that you have is screwing up things after the upgrade. What are the applications that you installed after you got your Treo? Try un-installing them and run the search option.

-chiru
    Is the consensus to do the upgrade or not?

I've got PRL 10015 Firmware 1.02.
    Global Posts
    745 Global Posts
    To update one calls *2 and leave it or interact with the menus?

Originally posted by potatoho

Mine was 10015 too. I called and she typed in some stuff and said next time I dial *2 it will automatically update the PRL to 10019. It just finished, pretty cool. Though I have no idea what a Preferred Roaming List is. I don't have roaming enabled, so maybe it doesn't affect me.

As for firmware, I was told I could take it to a Sprint store to upgrade it. Doesn't sound right to me. If it is, then very cool.

Oh yeah almost forgot. Sprint has some daily/weekly phone-minutes-used SMS thing they are offering. Sends you an SMS or something. It's free for two months, and then $1.99 mo. I declined.
    I did *2 and Claire automatically updated my PRL to 10019.

Is there anyway Claire can screw me by updating the Preferred Roaming List?

Is there anything else that gets updated?

Originally posted by manorton
    Is the consensus to do the upgrade or not?

I've got PRL 10015 Firmware 1.02.
    I'm getting painfully slow transfer rates of 4 - 6kbps on firmware 1.02. I figure updating would probably help, but I'm worried about the battery drain issue. Are the majority of people getting that? If I decide to update and I get the turbo drain, is there any way to go back to the previous firmware verion? Thanks.
    I got the 19 version upgrade uneventfully from Sprint using the *2 method---very nice.
    But I just made a trip to Florida. While there the phone found Sprint an all worked. Then I went into a building where the signal was weak or blocked. The red light was on. After the one hour meeting the phone was completely dead----drained one guesses by the phone using max efforts to find the mother ship. This never happenned before. And I notice that all other times the battery lasts less than half the time it used to.
    Lif could be better if Sprint would get rid of some of their phone tech people and balance the remainder with some PC type people who know this aspect better. They are clearly weak in this regard and Handspring Palm can't completely cover for them. So I worry about the 600 which is supposedly is specked by the carrier not handspring.
    Because anyone with a sense would not have done this to their customer base, particularly without warning them. Arrogance and Ignorance. Now how do I get rid of this supposed improvement, which has no noticeable favorable offset????????????
    JON
    Where have you seen this? The info I've see indicates that the 600 isn't beholden to a particular carrier. The article Treo 600 Revealed says that while they're working with carriers
    Unlike the Treo 300, Sprint does not have exclusivity to the Treo 600, so other CDMA carriers can carry the device if they choose too.

Originally posted by jhaglund
    So I worry about the 600 which is supposedly is specked by the carrier not handspring.
    Originally posted by jhaglund
    But I just made a trip to Florida. While there the phone found Sprint an all worked. Then I went into a building where the signal was weak or blocked.
    Welcome to my world

Yes I got the turbo drain twice yesterday. Lots of busy network signals too. I think it's all the race fans in town here. I'm now starting to shutdown the network at every opportunity. I have to add some lesser times on TreoHelper for grey arrows to see if it helps.

Oh and I finally did get a couple of RBODs on the updated firmware. Though technically I don't think it was the infamous RBOD because I was able to fix these with a soft reset (I have an app with a soft reset option) on one, and on the other it fixed itself when I cycled the radio power. All other RBODs on the older firmware required a pin reset.
    "Handspring is working with leading wireless operators including Sprint in North America and Orange S.A. throughout Europe to customize products for their respective networks, applications and brands."
    If you cut through this stuff, each 600 is designed by the carrier to its own specifications. The 300 did some of this, but the 600 is designed to be out-specked from day one, to include any carrier. There were many references to this by Handspring.
    It is probably a benefit, but who knows if you can move from carrier to carrier with the same 600......
    JON
    Got a Treo 300 6 weeks ago, and haven't had any particular battery issues with it. However, I saw that my firmware was one of the versions addressed by the Updater.

After reading the messages in this string, I called Sprint support, and referred them to this article and it's issues, which they said was news to them. Afterwards, a person who said they were second-level Treo support called me back. He said that if I installed the Updater, "...there is a 50% chance that [I] would experience serious deteriation of battery life."

He suggested that I wait until Sprint comes out with a patch they are working on to fix the documented battery life issues. He assured me they were working on it, and it would probably be out before the end of Summer.
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    Wow, I didn't know the Treo 600 was coming out that soon!
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 491011121314