Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 27891011121314 LastLast
    I did a regular backup before I installed the update. Then when it was finished I had nothing but the native Palm apps. None of my 3rd party apps. were restored. I use Agendus, Snappermail, Treo300SMS, Treo Alert Mgr., etc. etc. etc. All gone.
    Originally posted by Llynx
    Has anybody else had this problem? Any problems with Treo300SMS ??

Any suggestions? (if you hear a thumping noise, that just just me pounding my head on my desk... )
    So I take it the upgrade worked ok, but it just craps out during the final hotsync where it reloads everything. I also have Treo300SMS but it didn't cause any problems. Come to think of it, if I'd remembered I had it I would have probably deleted it before starting.. I'm kinda paranoid about these flash updaters etc.

You can always delete the Treo300SMS.prc from your backup directory, and then install it later.

So far I'm pretty satisfied with the update. I haven't had any weird drain episodes yet, and I don't have any work-arounds installed -- I just left it alone with it connected all day on my belt. Plenty of red blink throughout the day but no death. Thumbs up!
    Originally posted by vgill

Verify your brightness is correct. When I did it, it reset my brightness to max, which eats battery like no tomorrow.

fyi

/v
    I did, and it did. However, the battery drain was never this bad. Something has definitely happened. Is anyone else seeing this?
    Oh well, DRAT! Picked up my Treo 300. Sssssssssss, it's a hot burrito. Guess they didn't fix the turbo drain. But so far no blink of death. Back to implementing work-arounds.
    OK, did another test this evening. I took the Treo, fully charged, off the charger about 5:00 driving up for a meeting. I built up a data session before going into the building. Within 15 minutes, the battery had drained on "notch" and the data connection had dropped. I built it up, again, at 5:30.

With the data connection built (grey arrows) and light data usage (maybe 15 minutes total browsing), the Treo was *completely* dead by 7:00.

There is, perhaps, a slight improvement in throughput (but nothing earthshattering).

I have talked with an application engineer at Sprint who is going to load the new firmware tomorrow and (hopefully) confirm this.

I'm about to mail this to a developer at Handspring.

...er... back to the drawing board
    Originally posted by JoeGuru
    OK, did another test this evening. I took the Treo, fully charged, off the charger about 5:00 driving up for a meeting. I built up a data session before going into the building. Within 15 minutes, the battery had drained on "notch" and the data connection had dropped. I built it up, again, at 5:30.

With the data connection built (grey arrows) and light data usage (maybe 15 minutes total browsing), the Treo was *completely* dead by 7:00.

There is, perhaps, a slight improvement in throughput (but nothing earthshattering).

I have talked with an application engineer at Sprint who is going to load the new firmware tomorrow and (hopefully) confirm this.

I'm about to mail this to a developer at Handspring.

...er... back to the drawing board
    Sorry... make that dead by 7:30.
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    Sounds like maybe your hardware is bad. If you've had this drain issue for quite awhile your battery could be toast since there are only x number of charge/drain cycles before it becomes a brick. Yet another reason why the new Treo should've had a replaceable battery.

You mention Joe that it took some time to get the data connection going so that would contribute to the lousy battery life since the radio would have to ramp up power to communicate with the tower.

What is weird about this issue is my desk has a couple of spots where I can just barely get a signal, but if the Treo is moved it loses it right away, yet I've never seen this issue. Is there any date of manufacture on the Treo we could narrow this down to? I got mine refurbished so it has whatever the latest/greatest was leaving the factory last January.
    Originally posted by massaloch
    I've installed the new firmware, but haven't had a chance to try to induce RBOD (generally have to be home for that). If it's fixed, great! if not, bye bye treo, and an unpleasant letter to handspring, and sprint.

Is there a list of fixes circulating anywhere?

Thanks
    Mark
    Well I got home and with the treo in my pocket for fifteen minutes (where it sometimes drifts in and out of service) Lo! the Red Blink Of Death. Oh well.

Nice try Handspring & Sprint, but you struck out.

Mark
    Mine hasn't RBOD yet. I'm quite confident that I have the conditions to cause it, but I'm letting it happen (or not happen) on it's own.

I've definitely had the turbo drain w/ stuck green arrows already though. That sucks because that makes me have to use my TreoHelper dropnet (no coverage) option. Maybe it's more resilient, will find out. I have it set for 30 seconds, where it always required 15 seconds or less to catch it.

No spontaneous reboots during connections so far! So I think they've actually fixed one thing. I still get an awful lot of 0x1102 errors.

I'm thinking quietly to myself, that if they don't get a handle on this CDMA battery goodness, I may have to ditch Sprint. I don't know where the problem is, but the solution is obviously to be more aggressive with beta testers and resolving the issues.

It shouldn't have taken 8 months to bring forth this update, when clearly it hasn't fixed issues which are demonstrable within 12 short hours. I mean when the turbo drain happens, the device gets pretty darned hot. I'm thinking of an approximate temp.. I'd say coffee cup hot.

Is it MICROWAVING ME TO DEATH or what. It's hot in the upper back portion right where the radio is. I wish I had one of those EMI detectors because I've never thought about it until now. I've talked on it before from battery full to battery dead and it's not gotten nearly that hot. Now it's scaring the crap out of me, thinking about what would cause it to get so hot in the radio area.
    Originally posted by Llynx
    I did a regular backup before I installed the update. Then when it was finished I had nothing but the native Palm apps. None of my 3rd party apps. were restored. I use Agendus, Snappermail, Treo300SMS, Treo Alert Mgr., etc. etc. etc. All gone.

Same for me. I backed up everything & it still didn't restore all my apps, etc. (everything is restored on a normal hard reset). It kept stopping durinf the "restoring" process. I had to keep re-hotsyncing. ten when it finally did a complete restore, like 5% of my tird party apps were restored. i spent 4 hours restoring one by one all my other apps. what a piece of friggin shiznit!! seriously, all this waiting for nothing. i notice NO difference what soever with new firmware. hmff. whatever...
    Originally posted by 003oret
    when it finally did a complete restore, like 5% of my tird party apps were restored.
    Curious.. had you ever done a hard reset/restore before? I used to install software in fancy ways (pilot-xfer, IR beaming) and I noticed that a lot of times certain files didn't have the backup bit set. Finally I just went through with t'catalog or filez or something and made sure that I wouldn't miss anything.

I think older hotsync desktop software used to leave the backup bit off as well. The updater said something about requiring 3.1 or later.
    I've been using my Treo around 19 months now.

My results with the new firmware:

1) Turbo-drain still exists, drains somewhat faster.
    The Treo almost went completely out (I haven't allowed
    it to go completely out before, but it used to drop the
    wireless mode off when the battery got too low. Not
    sure if it acts this way anymore.)

2) Battery power seems to have decreased some (Battery
    doesn't seem to last as long as before.)

Is there a way to revert back? Probably not, eh?

I'd be happy to beta test for Handspring. I wonder how
    they recruit testers.
    Got the fatal reset loop thing, due no doubt to the TreoHelper/Radio on auto setting (didn't read all the posts before leaping in). Ah well - hard reset time. Dang.
    Originally posted by potatoho

Curious.. had you ever done a hard reset/restore before? I used to install software in fancy ways (pilot-xfer, IR beaming) and I noticed that a lot of times certain files didn't have the backup bit set. Finally I just went through with t'catalog or filez or something and made sure that I wouldn't miss anything.

I think older hotsync desktop software used to leave the backup bit off as well. The updater said something about requiring 3.1 or later.
    Yeah I've done multiple hard resets before (with "syncall") and EVERYTHING was backed up no prob... oh well. Only 4 months for the new Treo 600!!!
    Originally posted by nrosser
    Got the fatal reset loop thing, due no doubt to the TreoHelper/Radio on auto setting (didn't read all the posts before leaping in). Ah well - hard reset time. Dang.
    I just put a note in the other thread.

You should be able to just hold down pgup during a reset, and then go and delete TreoHelper. Then do a soft reset after that.
    I haven't really had mine long enough to tell for sure, but I think after this update I have less battery life.

Are other people noticing this too?
    Oh yeah....my Eudora web browser is dead after this update. I get:

Fatal Alert
    DataMgr.c, Line7025,DmWrite:DmWriteCheck failed
    (Reset)

and the thing freezes up and needs a soft reset.

Tried uninstalling and reinstalling EudoraWeb to no avail.

Does anyone have it working after the update?

I think I want my old firmware back........
  18. jmw
    You've had so many problems. I have gotten away pretty much clean.

I have never had this "turbo drain" problem you speak of. My green arrows always turn grey when I'm done (one exception - if i leave blazer on a page that reloads).

I installed the new firmware yesterday, it went fairly smooth. I got one fatal error the first time I reset, and then one more when my email program somehow ended up with old emails on it - I deleted all the mail and now the treo is running just fine.

I don't notice any difference with the new firmware. According to handspring's site, there are only 2 minor fixes in this release. Does anyone have a "What's new" list besides that one? I don't see how you go from 1.02 to 1.21 with just 2 fixes.
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    The upgrade went smoothly for me. A few comments:

-- I had a bunch of apps in flash (via JackFlash), and when I saw the updater making changes to flash, I got worried. However, I reset my Treo, JackFlash alerted me that there had been an OS upgrade which affected flash and asked me whether I wanted to have the app try to fix the problem. I said yes, JackFlash then went through a "compacting flash" mode and then everything returned to normal; i.e. all of my pre-update apps that were in flash returned. Very impressed.

-- I disabled TreoHelper, Xmaster and a few other apps before upgrading, but I forgot about TreoAlertManager and some ring tone apps. Didn't seem to affect the upgrade, however.

-- Have experienced a definite and noticeable decrease in battery life. Using the Treo just as I do everyday, yet instead of having full power when I get home from work as I normally do, the battery is almost half-dead.

-- Everthing seems a bit, I don't know, zippier. The date apps seem to load faster and react better. The changes to Blazer are most noticable. I have always overcloced that app, but only to about 34 or 35 using FastCPU. If I tried to go higher, my Blazer would cease functioning. Now, I am able to overclock Blazer to the max (45 I think) without problems, and the thing just absolutely flies surfing the web! Not sure what this type of extreme overclocking + the update will do to battery life, but the dramatic increase in speed makes it worth trying for a while.
    Originally posted by rocketweb
    Oh yeah....my Eudora web browser is dead after this update.
    No problem here using Eudora/Web 2.1.
    Peter Campbell * www.krazy.com