Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    MODEM for the TREO 90 - PSION TRAVEL MODEM
    I have ordered this modem, and has anyone some knowledge on if it will work... if not, it gets sold... I was told that it should work, it's done by IR, wireless, the modem is plugged into the wall jack..
    2nd question:
    HOW DO I BACK UP MY TREO 90?
    What software do I use? I know it hotsync's and backs it up.. but is there a way to BACK the TREO contents up on my 128K SD CARD? I dont' ever take it out?
    I have some games and splash photo on the card.
    Thanks
    Grabbit
    With the SD card, there is now a copy menu in applications, that lets you copy an individual app to the card. To backup the whole Treo in one shot, get BackupBuddyVFSFree. There is a non-free version that is said to be faster, and that allows partial backups.

You should also check out a program that lets you manipulate single files. Two free programs are Filecaddy, and Filez. Filecaddy is faster, which matters when you look at your backup directory. You can just copy files from there, rather than restoring your whole Treo to the state it was at backup. Filez lets you bitwise edit files, though only those on the Treo itself, not on SD card.

By the way, you should check to make sure your OS is 4.1H3. If it's not H3, you should run the updater to update your ROM before installing everything, because it will require a hard reset.
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    How do I figure out what version of PALM OS I have?
    thanks
    Grabbit
    Originally posted by grabbit97
    How do I figure out what version of PALM OS I have?
    thanks
    Grabbit
    Ta-dah!

http://support.handspring.com/esuppo...sType=RESEARCH
    Grabbit,

Psion Travel Modem works great with the 90. I use it every day. Configure your wireless suite by tapping the icon on your PC desktop, follow the prompts and it should work out of the box.

Two recommendations: SnapperMail ROCKS! Any size email, it opens attachments and can unzip and zip them. Comes with zip and jpg software. Opens text files as well. With QuickWord it can open MSWord docs. Can also hook up about a dozen different accounts. It also sends email directly from memo, datebook and contacts, all as attachments. It's a must for the power email user.

On the cheaper side: Top Gun Postman at http://www.isaac.cs.berkeley.edu//pilot/ is freeware and works great for standard email messages. It links your 90 Mail app with your Modem to send a recieve. Once configured it gives you one button sending a receiving. Most of the limitation are in the Mail app itself: max receive size 32K (I think) Max send size 10K. No attachments. For 99% of what you probably do, this works fine. I like it better than One-Touch Mail, which comes in your internet suite (and can be deleted). It's bug: You have to delete everything except the actual email address from the To: field when replying.

Blazer is very good for most stuff. Does not support Java though.

Psion lasts about a month of daily email sessions. Browsing will burn out the batteries in about 4 hours. Psion makes an power cord for the modem too if you're planning on heavy use.

Enjoy,

Kevin
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    By the way, you should check to make sure your OS is 4.1H3. If it's not H3, you should run the updater to update your ROM before installing everything, because it will require a hard reset. [/B][/QUOTE]

WHERE DO I GET THE UPDATE?
    OK, first off, where do I get the update, I have 4.1H, why do I need the UPDATE? where do I get it?

2nd.... I backed up the WHOLE TREO on the SD CARD ( i have 128K) so If I get the UPDATE for the OS, then I can RESTORE the treo using the SD card and BackupBUDDY?

HELP

Thanks, GRABBIT
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    Originally posted by J. Kevin Wolfe
    Grabbit,

Psion Travel Modem works great with the 90. I use it every day. Configure your wireless suite by tapping the icon on your PC desktop, follow the prompts and it should work out of the box.

Psion lasts about a month of daily email sessions. Browsing will burn out the batteries in about 4 hours. Psion makes an power cord for the modem too if you're planning on heavy use.

Enjoy,

Kevin
    HELP, OK I am going to use AOL for my service provider, will that work?

I have AOL installed on my TREO... wil that work with the PSION? SUre hope so... please advise
    Thank you for your repsonse about the PSION MODEM
    grabbit
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by J. Kevin Wolfe
    [B]Grabbit,

Where do I get the WIRELESS SUITE? Dont' know where to get it or which one to use or does it come with the PSION?
    It comes with the 90. It's on the Treo Desktop CD. If it's not on your desktop now, reinstall your desktop from the CD. It might give you an option, but on my Mac it was there automatically. Choose the option to configure it. Put in your internet account info and it should all sync up on your next sync. It installs Blazer browser, One Touch Mail, etc. It also configures your network connection with all data needed to connect by IR.

Incidentally, once the connection is figured you can get AvantGo via your modem.

Kevin
    You only need the update to enable the SD card slot to deal with certain cards. You can use the backup on your card to restore after a ROM update. The update comes from Handspring, here.
    The update also fixes a few bugs. The most notable is not being able to format a 128Meg SD. So if you intend to get a large SD it would be worth it.
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    I have a 128K SD CARD in the TREO 90 NOW... didn't have to format it, it came formatted...

SO, now what do I do, is it essential that I update the TREO OS? IF I do, will I be able to RESTORE my TREO with the INFO on the BACKUPBUDDY that lies on the SD CARD? I am new at this< SORRY for all the questions... and about the IR SOFTWARE>> it's on the CD that came with the TREO??? IF SO, DO I have the option to install it later.. I didn't install it when I ran the CD the first time. Thanks again.. GRABBIT
    For the Psion modem to work, you won't need to upgrade your 90. As a matter of fact if you've bought it in the last 4 months it probably is already upgraded. (Home, Menu, Info, Version will say 4.1H3 if it's upgraded.)

Take the Desktop disc that came with the Treo. Put the CD in the drive and install the desktop like normal. (Your backups should not be affected.) And icon should appear on your PC desktop that says "Wireless Suite." Double click on it. Go through the setup. It will prompt you to enter details of your internet connection (logins, passwords, server addresses, etc.). When done, hotsync. All connections are installed. No software is needed for the psion modem. And this modem has not changed hardware in 4 years.

Plug your modem into the phone jack and press the on button on top. If all was connected right, you should be able to tap the Blazer icon on your Treo's home screen and connect to the internet.

Don't worry. We'll talk you through it. It seems tougher than landing a plane when the pilot's unconscious and you've had three free drinks in first class, but it's not.

Kevin
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    As I told you, I ordered the PSION TRAVEL MODEM.. I have AOL as my service provider for the dial up.. and it's AOL 2.0 for PALM... already on there. Will the PSION be able to connect me to AOL, as when I went to install the software from the CD that came with the TREO, it said something about AOL not being one of the ones that it could configure, so I guess I am asking NOW WHAT>>>thanks grabbit
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    Anyone have any suggestions about AOL and the PSION TRAVEL MODEM? Do I just enter the number for access in the AOL software on the PALM, and it will connect?
    Help please.
    Thanks
    Grabbit
    Grabbit,

I haven't configured AOL on a handheld before. According to HS support, you will not be able to get AOL web on your Treo (since it's not PPP), but you'll be able to do aol mail. The directions are here:

http://support.handspring.com/esuppo...olutionId=6164

If this doesn't suit your needs, you'll probably have to switch to a provided that offers full internet service. ATT offers a basic plan for $17 a month. I've been with them for about 6 years connecting by handheld and have very few complaints.
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    I have the software on the PDA for AOL... so you are saying I can just put the phone number in there.. and the PSION will dial it.. connecting thru IR?
    Hope it works, it used to work using the SPRINGBOARD modem on our VISOR PRO, which we still have, and I will use as a backup.

grabbit
    Grabbit,

I used to connect with my edge and a thinmodem. Once you've got all that same info into your Net Prefs, I'm assuming you're good to go. That's how it worked with my ATT account. If you have troubles once you get it, post here and I'll see what I can do to help.

Kevin
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    I got the PSION TRAVEL MODEM today, riight out of the box, went into easyswtich, and chose USA, and BINGO, ran AOL on the TREO 90, and we were online getting my email!!
    Thank you so much for all your help.
    Grabbit
    Glad it went so smoothly.