View Poll Results: What's better for connecting your Treo to your laptop for Internet access?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • PalmNet

17 77.27%
  • WirelessModem

4 18.18%
  • Both are equally as good

1 4.55%
  1.    #1  
    They are mutually exclusive so I cannot vote because the poll is meaningless, sorry. If your laptop runs XP and only has USB ports (no irda or serial) PalmNet is your only choice as WM doesn't support that scenerio. If you don't have XP/2000 or don't have USB on a windows machine then WM is the only option as PalmNet doesn't support those scenerios. Same thing with Mac. WM supports it, PalmNet doesn't.
    David
    They're not mutually exclusive. I have a laptop with XP Pro, USB, and serial ports. I run wireless modem with serial, but I would like to know if there are any advantages to PalmNet and USB.
  4. jmw
    Originally posted by WFTarHeel
    They're not mutually exclusive. I have a laptop with XP Pro, USB, and serial ports. I run wireless modem with serial, but I would like to know if there are any advantages to PalmNet and USB.
    Hello fellow tarheel -

Yes, the main advantages to Palmnet are:

1) Speed. I am getting about 80 kbps with Palmnet, whereas it was about 35-40 with WirelessModem over IR.

2) Possibly, battery life. Supposedly IR and serial use up a lot of power. Not sure if USB is any better, but my impression was that it uses less power.

WirelessModem is the way to go if you want to (or have to) use serial or IR.
    Thanks for all of the good information.

Do your connections stay up when you are using PalmNet, or do you find that they often get dropped after a few minutes?

Right now, my biggest complaint is that my connections get dropped.
    Originally posted by WFTarHeel
    Right now, my biggest complaint is that my connections get dropped.
    Sprint will make sure that continues to happen. I've found running a web radio station helps, but if I'm not in the mood, something that gobbles up fewer megabytes would be better. Perhaps someone could write a batch file which would ping or do something continuously untill the user restored the window and CTRL-C'd to stop it.
    David