Page 1 of 19 12345611 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi folks. I have some new versions of software for trial & testing. An upgrade to TreoHelper, which includes an SMS section to let you assign different ringtones based on a text match. And also a companion application+hack, PBJTime, which will show selected SMSs in a hotkey popup.

To get the PBJTime going, what you'd do is assign one of the SMS triggers in TreoHelper to launch PBJTime based on a text match. For example, if I sign up for Yahoo breaking news, I'd set my text match to yahoo-inc.com and tell it to launch PBJTime, select a ringtone, and also tell it to delete the msg.

In my personal configuration, I have an SMS trigger for my Yahoo breaking news alerts, and it plays Aaron's yankee-doodle rendition for 16 seconds whenever there is news

It's kinda open-ended like that, so bare with me while we figure out how to make configurations easier. As always, there are sources so you can fix any bugs.

I personally have not tested on GSM devices. These particular API are difficult to simulate. I do suggest that anyone using this software, do a backup etc and take care in case there are instabilities

http://rallypilot.sourceforge.net/treohelper.html
    From the description, this app is mostly for the Treo 300? Or can the SMS feature be used on the 270 as well?
  3.    #3  
    Originally posted by Alli
    From the description, this app is mostly for the Treo 300? Or can the SMS feature be used on the 270 as well?
    I have a report that it does work on the 270. It is written to support the GSM & CDMA devices, though the GSM doesn't do anything with the ringtone duration specification.

TreoHelper was originally written for the 300, as that is my personal device which needed "fixing". But 90% of it should be compatible with the GSM devices. Options which won't work are the "drop net" when green/grey because it relies on an event which isn't supplied on the GSM version.
    The SMS feature works fine and dandy on my 270
  5.    #5  
    Ok cool! I should also mention that it is a good idea to turn off the main Message Tone (in system Preferences, Ringers), and then use the Def tab in TreoHelper. Otherwise the Message Tone will always play with each SMS and get jumbled in with ones you play via TreoHelper, or override it etc.
    Are you able to incorporate a feature that connects/dials to the data network on reset? Something that would take your default Network and connect to it.
  7.    #7  
    Originally posted by Appleman
    Are you able to incorporate a feature that connects/dials to the data network on reset? Something that would take your default Network and connect to it.
    I'm not sure I understand you. This is for the Treo 180/270/300. TreoHelper has the option to turn on the phone after a reset -- which is the equivalent of holding down the power button. This will also connect to the network if you have that system-wide setting (Preferences->Network->Options menu).
    The system wide setting on the 180/270 just puts a little triangle in our signal meter, telling us that the GPRS network is available. It doesn't actually "dial" the network up, or activate it in the way in which data can be sent. We have to launch an app that connects to the network and logs in, or manually go into Prefs>Network and tap connect.

From what I understand, your app is mainly dealing with the phone part of the Treo. The limitation I am referring to is Palm OS related. There seems to be a fine line, at least on the 180/270, in where the "phone" functions end and where the Palm OS begins.

ie: The phone part connects to the voice network and allows the Palm OS to make and receive calls. Similar to how the system wide setting allows you to connect to the data network, but does not activate it or log in until the Palm OS tells it to.
  9.    #9  
    The system wide setting on the 180/270 just puts a little triangle in our signal meter, telling us that the GPRS network is available. It doesn't actually "dial" the network up, or activate it in the way in which data can be sent. We have to launch an app that connects to the network and logs in, or manually go into Prefs>Network and tap connect.
    Ok, that's obviously different than what it does on the 300. Wonder why they did that..

I actually don't use that setting on my 300 as I find that keeping the network active during flaky reception will cause the turbo drain syndrome. Which is why I have the "drop net" option for coverage loss. I don't know if the 270 has turbo drain, I don't think it does.

So let's see. I can check the flag in the preferences and maybe do the network connection on GSM devices. I'll look into it. I'm a little worried about doing that from a timer callback.
    No turbo drain. I thinks that's a special feature that Handspring and Sprint pooled all their resources together to implement.
    The status in preferences/network is generally unreliable. It is set to whatever the use last set it too. The 270 can disconnect from the gprs network, as evidenced by either no gprs indiacator, or merely the small gprs triangle (meaning gprs available but not logged in), and the Preferences/Network screen will still indicate the choice "Disconnect". Obviously, you can't disconnect - you already are disconnected... But to reestablish the GPRS connection, it usually suffices to 'Disconnect' and then 'Connect' on that screen.

What I am saying is that looking at what the Preferences/Network screen shows is unreliable on the 270, while looking at the Antenna Icon (signal strength / GPRS network status) is reliable.

Don't know where those two live in the OS though.
  12.    #12  
    Ok give it a shot now. I uploaded TreoHelper 0.10. It looks at the Preferences->Network->Options checkbox setting for auto-login and if set, it does a NetLibOpen a few seconds after the phone network registration occurs. Since the 300 already does this, I only enabled it for GSM.
    Thanks potatoho!! That worked like a charm. I have wanted that for so long. "Always on" is as close as it can get now. You have replaced Treo Tools for me.

Again, excellent job, and thanks for the quick response.
    I'll be interested to hear what happens when the 270 decides (semi-spontaneously) to diconnect from the GPRS network.

Will this get it to re-connect? (It probably shouldn't, as that would likely cause battery drain in the 270)

Another question - The option check box in Preferences/Network which tells the 270 to "connect to the data network whenever wireless mode is powered on" will not survive a soft reset. It will become 'unchecked'. Is there a way to have that preference survive soft resets?

P.S. I'll update to 0.10 also for another data point for you.
    Originally posted by jaytee
    I'll be interested to hear what happens when the 270 decides (semi-spontaneously) to diconnect from the GPRS network.

Will this get it to re-connect? (It probably shouldn't, as that would likely cause battery drain in the 270)

Another question - The option check box in Preferences/Network which tells the 270 to "connect to the data network whenever wireless mode is powered on" will not survive a soft reset. It will become 'unchecked'. Is there a way to have that preference survive soft resets?

P.S. I'll update to 0.10 also for another data point for you.
    On my 180, the preference stays checked. Interesting.....

On my 180, the preference stays checked. Interesting.....
    Phoeey! It doesn't stay checked here! Just re-re-re-checked it! Can anyone else confirm that it WON'T stay checked through a soft reset on their 270?
    what is pbj time for? don't understand.
  18.    #18  
    Originally posted by 003oret
    what is pbj time for? don't understand.
    I was stumped for a clockpop'ish name, and couldn't get this song out of my head..

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/peanutbutter.shtml
    http://pbjdance.com/

PBJTime is a popup clock & battery thing, but it also shows SMSs which you've launched with TreoHelper. So if you get 10-20 SMSs during the day for news etc, you won't have them clogging up your screen with dialogs you must manually dismiss. Instead PBJTime will show them for 20 seconds and go away, or you can hold down the hotkey and see them.
  19.    #19  

TreoHelper tries one time to bring up the network per phone cycle. I could make it persist, well, actually I'm not sure I know of an event on the GSM which indicates a change in connect status. There probably is one, at least I use the one on the CDMA.

So the 270 gets kicked off the network too?
  20.    #20  
    Phoeey! It doesn't stay checked here! Just re-re-re-checked it! Can anyone else confirm that it WON'T stay checked through a soft reset on their 270?
    Hrm it stays checked in the emulator. You're talking about a 270 with GPRS right?

Preferences->Network-->Options menu->Preferences.

So you're saying you can check that, and then soft reset and it will be unchecked next time?

There is an easy way to programmatically set that preference on reset. But I'd obviously have to make it an option and squeeze it into the TreoHelper screen.
Page 1 of 19 12345611 ... LastLast