Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 27891011121314151617 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    237 Global Posts
    Originally posted by potatoho

Yeah but, isn't your device that weird one with the handsfree glitch? I'm still confused why your's has that problem.. we tracked it down to the busted PrvHwWismoHeadsetIntHandler call that was in the old GSM ROM. But your GPRS ROM should have good code for that. Dunno.
    No. I only had that problem with some previous versions. Without TreoHelper it worked fine.

BTW when you say .38 doesn't auto-dial. It tries to right, but then it hangs up or something? I should have mentioned that the auto-dial requires phone service class events, which is the same thing we determined was causing your hangup problems before. So enabling/disabling auto-dial will require a soft reset etc.
    No. It doesn't do anything. I did soft resets between all my tests (enable/disable auto-dial).
  2.    #222  
    Originally posted by rfg17
    No. I only had that problem with some previous versions. Without TreoHelper it worked fine.
    I know but we tried a version with everything removed except the phnServiceVoice registration. Simply registering for that was all it took to break your handsfree button. To get TreoHelper to work again, required me to unregister for that service class. But that's a crutch because there's lots of good stuff in the phnServiceVoice class.

In the past, pre-GPRS, Handspring had a bug in the debounce code for the handsfree button. Here is a disassembly:

(broken)
    Code:
    00001854   4e4fa0f7		L102            sysTrapTimGetTicks
    00001858   35400058		                MOVE.W	D0,88(A2)
    0000185c   6000001a		                BRA	L104
    00001860   1038f41c		L103            MOVE.B	$fffff41c.W,D0
    00001864   c005			                AND.B	D5,D0
    00001866   67ec			                BEQ	L102
    00001868   4e4fa0f7		                sysTrapTimGetTicks
    0000186c   382a0058		                MOVE.W	88(A2),D4
    00001870   2204			                MOVE.L	D4,D1
    00001872   d283			                ADD.L	D3,D1
    00001874   b280			                CMP.L	D0,D1
    00001876   63b0			                BLS	L101
    (fixed)
    Code:
    00001850   4e4fa0f7		L102            sysTrapTimGetTicks
    00001854   25400058		                MOVE.L	D0,88(A2)
    00001858   60000018		                BRA	L104
    0000185c   1038f41c		L103            MOVE.B	$fffff41c.W,D0
    00001860   c004			                AND.B	D4,D0
    00001862   67ec			                BEQ	L102
    00001864   4e4fa0f7		                sysTrapTimGetTicks
    00001868   222a0058		                MOVE.L	88(A2),D1
    0000186c   d283			                ADD.L	D3,D1
    0000186e   b280			                CMP.L	D0,D1
    00001870   63b2			                BLS	L101
    You can see in the broken version, it was only storing 16-bits (a word) into the 88(A2) variable. And then it was comparing that to the current TimGetTicks() value which is always a 32-bit value. So the comparison would be incorrect, and possibly have random results -- making the switch debounce a little unpredictable.

I don't have any idea how that translates into phnServiceVoice tickling that problem. I can only guess that it causes an extra delay during the event chain. Possibly not even related to this old bug. I only dug that up in my research in looking for hangup problems and remedies, and I found a patch to that library which made that fix and supposedly cured the problem etc.

The weird thing is that the fixed version is included in the anonymous patch, the GPRS 3.5.2H5.6 ROM, and the Treo 300 ROM. I believe you mentioned that your ROM is GPRS 3.5.2H5.6 but that leaves me wondering why yours has the same symptoms of a broken handsfree button debounce function. Perhaps the U.S. and non-U.S. versions are different?
    Global Posts
    252 Global Posts
    I upgraded to the latest version 38 and the hands free button on my Treo 180 still does not work. Frimware 534b09gg.3 Software 3.5.2H5.7
    with GPRS 1.1.1

Great program!

Thanks
    Global Posts
    237 Global Posts

The weird thing is that the fixed version is included in the anonymous patch, the GPRS 3.5.2H5.6 ROM, and the Treo 300 ROM. I believe you mentioned that your ROM is GPRS 3.5.2H5.6 but that leaves me wondering why yours has the same symptoms of a broken handsfree button debounce function. Perhaps the U.S. and non-U.S. versions are different?
    Actually I'm running v.3.5.2H5.7
    Potatoho,

Once again, I am travelling out of my time zone (in LA this time) and the message tones that are played by TreoHelper are clipped after the first second (or less). The tone plays for the correct duration, but the volume drops to soft after the first second (or less).

You may remember that I had the same exact problem last time I was out of my time zone (last time it was in Raleigh, NC). Same as last time, only the sounds played by TreoHelper are affected: the voicemail tone is not affected, the VeriChat tone is not affected and if I uninstall TreoHelper, the SMS tone is not affected. Also same as last time, uninstalling VeriChat, TreoAlertMgr and Treo300SMS does not help.

I'll be in this timezone until Friday. Let me know if there's anything you think I can try.
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    I just installed TreoHelper last night (I have a Treo 300) and have been playing around with it. I have a crappy signal at home so I can test the auto-off and auto-on easily. I've noticed that sometimes, after shutting off automatically, the Treo will turn on at the specified interval, but not power on the radio. It will just stay on and doing nothing until it turns itself off again after a minute or so. This doesn't happen all the time, and I haven't done it enough to try to find a pattern, but I thought I'd let you know about it.
  7.    #227  
    Originally posted by procure
    It will just stay on and doing nothing until it turns itself off again after a minute or so.
    Was there a dialog on the screen at the time? And if so, did it power on the phone right after the dialog was dismissed?

Maybe that's why I've not had that problem myself, as I don't often get modal dialogs. Part of an older GSM work-around was that we found that phone on/off didn't work reliably from a procalarm. I prefer procalarms because they don't care if another modal dialog is up on the display. However to fix the GSM version I moved the phone on/off to a display alarm, and as such it follows those rules.

I suppose I could make the CDMA version use a procalarm and the broken GSM models use a display alarm.
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    No, there was no dialog on the screen. It was the normal start up screen with the speed dial buttons - nothing else was showing.

I suppose I could make the CDMA version use a procalarm and the broken GSM models use a display alarm.
    I would really love that. I've had several cases where alarm model dialog boxes, or SMS alerts are preventing my phone from starting/stopping the radio. I hadn't realized that it was a change in the behavior of TH.
    Global Posts
    237 Global Posts
    Since upgrading to the latest version, I've noticed increased instability with my 270. The problems come in two flavors: in some cases, the screen will not shut off no matter what I do. The only cure for this seems to be a soft reset. There have also been more frequent instances of lockups in the phone and Blazer apps that require soft resets. While I can't directly attribute these to TH, it does seem like stability has decreased since loading .38.

My question is this: can you make .25 available, as it seemed much more stable? I had been keeping a copy of it around on my laptop, but I lost it.

Thanks
  11.    #231  
    Since upgrading to the latest version, I've noticed increased instability with my 270. The problems come in two flavors: in some cases, the screen will not shut off no matter what I do. The only cure for this seems to be a soft reset. There have also been more frequent instances of lockups in the phone and Blazer apps that require soft resets. While I can't directly attribute these to TH, it does seem like stability has decreased since loading .38.

My question is this: can you make .25 available, as it seemed much more stable? I had been keeping a copy of it around on my laptop, but I lost it.
    That buggy old thing?

http://rallypilot.sourceforge.net/wo...elper-0_25.zip
  12.    #232  
    Originally posted by BillFugina
    I'll be in this timezone until Friday. Let me know if there's anything you think I can try.
    I haven't been able to come up with a theory as of this time, sorry.
  13.    #233  
    Any idea which settings are contributing to this behavior? For example, there is one programmatic condition which will delay the shut off, and that is if the "Stay on (lid close) if net active" is enabled. If that was not set, then it will help me to find it because I can eliminate a bunch of code etc etc.

Lockups. I would say that ideally you should be able to scale back TH features until the fault is found. A lot of phone events come through the code, but it's not a super-duper amount, mostly every few seconds during network activity. They can only be separated by service class and most events are in the same class so the TH code gets run for lots of events which aren't used by TH. I've tried to keep the event code light but it's always possible that a particular API doesn't like to be called during an event etc. And that changes from device to device unfortunately.

I'm going to look through the code and try to make it more scaleable in the next version.
    Global Posts
    237 Global Posts

Any idea which settings are contributing to this behavior? For example, there is one programmatic condition which will delay the shut off, and that is if the "Stay on (lid close) if net active" is enabled. If that was not set, then it will help me to find it because I can eliminate a bunch of code etc etc.

No, I don't use "Stay on (lid close) if net active"

Thanks for the link to the old version.
    argh, i just got hit with something really really annoying. to get rid of the feedback problem, i turned messaging tone off and enabled the default sms tone on, at loud volume. this worked well until i was on a call, and an alert came.... it was still on loud, and needless to say, my ears are ringing. can you make it so it will behave like ringtones... that when the lid is open, it will be at soft volume no matter what?

on an unrelated note, i have another feature request for treohelper. youre able to hit OK automatically during the signon screen.... so i was wondering if you can have settable delay for all the other major popups. like it would be great if i could put instant for battery notifications (i hate it when i'm on the phone, and try to adjust volume using jogdial and cant because of the battery popup), 1 min for for smses/newmsg (i tried pjbtime and hated it. i need the ability to sms back. what would be nice is a little screen hack with an icon for new smses, which disappears whenever you go into the sms prog), and never for voicemail/missed call popups.

oh, last thing.... i've been getting random fatal errors when i end a call by closing the lid. this is a treo300, and i did have "stay on if net active" enabled. i'm going to try to disable it, and if it happens again, i'm going to delete treohelper and see if thats even it.

anyway, i really appreciate this app that you make. thanks a lot.
  16.    #236  
    Originally posted by image
    argh, i just got hit with something really really annoying. to get rid of the feedback problem, i turned messaging tone off and enabled the default sms tone on, at loud volume. this worked well until i was on a call, and an alert came.... it was still on loud, and needless to say, my ears are ringing. can you make it so it will behave like ringtones... that when the lid is open, it will be at soft volume no matter what?
    I originally had it that way, but I didn't like it Seems I have to make it an option or something.

on an unrelated note, i have another feature request for treohelper. youre able to hit OK automatically during the signon screen....
    The method I use is not generic. The phone API provides an event when the error occurs and I use another API function to dismiss the dialog.

i tried pjbtime and hated it. i need the ability to sms back.
    Pbjtime is only useful for incoming SMS, basically news alerts. I signed up for a pile of the Yahoo ones so they are coming in all over the place. 13 so far today! Without pbjtime I wouldn't be able to do anything else with my device other than staying in the SMS app

oh, last thing.... i've been getting random fatal errors when i end a call by closing the lid. this is a treo300
    Ending a call will run the auto-OK code as well. I'd say try turning that off. I'm playing around with that trying to get that auto-OK feature stable.
  17.    #237  
    can you make it so it will behave like ringtones... that when the lid is open, it will be at soft volume no matter what?
    Is it ok if I just do a checkbox for "Lid open mute" ? I tried the soft and it still hurts my ear, and why would I even want to hear it while I'm on the phone anyways.

Edited.. hold on, I was just looking at the code and I already mute the SMS tone during a phone call. What the heck, lemme test it again.

It works okay here. Can you tell me what version you are running? Looking at the sources I took care of that on release 0.7.
    Last edited by potatoho; 06/27/2003 at 08:05 PM.
    it happened with the latest .38

maybe its a a race condition (is that possible in palm?) where code to mute during phone call gets executed before the default sms trigger gets priority. lemme try real quick.

hmm. ok, it didnt happen. strange. oh wells, it mustve been a quirk that one time.
  19.    #239  
    it happened with the latest .38

maybe its a a race condition (is that possible in palm?) where code to mute during phone call gets executed before the default sms trigger gets priority. lemme try real quick.

hmm. ok, it didnt happen. strange. oh wells, it mustve been a quirk that one time.
    Was it at the beginning or end of a phone call, or during the middle?
    it was the begining of a phone call. i had just picked up by pressing the button (was typing in verichat previously... ), and a few seconds into it, i get assaulted by an loud *** alert tone.