1.    #1  
    And no, not Business Connection.

I'm looking for something that will allow me to send and receive work email on the Treo. At work I use Notes 5. However BC and Treomail both require a PC that is always on and connected to the network. My problem is the network is setup to automatically disconnect in the middle of the night. So if I'm away from the office for more than a day, I can't get my email.

The only thing I've found is a forwarding agent called Wireless mail. It works, sort of, but lacks advanced features and all it really does is forward (doesn't include CC addresses, nor syncronize like BC). The good thing is that my computer can be disconnected and off and I'll still receive email.

Is there anything out there like BC that does not require the constant network connection?
    Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    As long as it's not important for you to have a record of items sent from your handheld in your Sent Items at the office, you can use any of the POP3-type clients (As long as your IT guys have enabled this). I believe SnapperMail is the best in this respect.

Mark Blank has a Beta going for an app called chatter who's most interesting feature (I believe) is a persistant IMAP connection which allows you to receive e-mail spontaneously without an SMS trigger or a desktop client. Notes should have the IMAP protocol running. Do a search for chatter and sign up for the Beta. It's a very neat program.

The truth is that the two best apps going for corporate access are the SprintBC and BaseJet, but both require a desktop program to be logged in and running at all times.
    To the best of my knowledge, the only way to have redirector functionality without an always-on desktop app is by convincing your IT dept. to spend the money on the server-side version of BizConn, or some other similar product.

Geoffrey
    Yep - if you want your Treo to act like a Blackberry, the IT guys have to install some server-side software, just like BlackBerry requires.
    I've just trained myself to lessen my dependence on my laptop. Not always feasible, but it sure will be this afternoon when I go to the home opener for my local MLB team...
    Originally posted by KKenna

<snip>

The truth is that the two best apps going for corporate access are the SprintBC and BaseJet, but both require a desktop program to be logged in and running at all times.
    Not true. Basejet does not require a desktop program. It can run stand-alone.

Secondly, accessing corporate e-mail requires nothing other than turning on the POP3 capability of the mail server. Certainly, there are some security issues but there are many options available without having to use a server-side version of anything.

There is a substantial post in the "Communications" section that covers almost all the alternatives for corporate e-mail. You might want to do a search.
    Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    You can run BaseJet in stand-alone and specify the Outlook/Notes login ? I was under the impression that you had to go to POP3 with no launcher.
  7.    #7  
    Hmm, seems I may have to get IS involved...that's going to be a challenge when you work at a company with over 5,000 employees and Blackberry's aren't standard issue in my department. Whenever your a "special case" they don't seem to want to make exceptions...but it's worth a try. I assume the Treo can be set up just like a Blackberry? Security will be an issue for them of course. So any ammo I can use to convince them would be helpful.

I do need records of sent messages stored, and not just on the treo...That's why corporate access is crucial if I really want to use this thing for work.
    I know that my company wouldn't turn on the POP3 portion of our Exchange Server for anything, so that option's not available for a lot of people.

As far as getting your IT dept. to install the server-side software, you may want to know that the costs are not inconsequential.

Geoffrey
    You can run BaseJet in stand-alone and specify the Outlook/Notes login ? I was under the impression that you had to go to POP3 with no launcher.
    You are correct. Running stand-alone requires access to POP3 or IMAP4 on the mail server.
    Originally posted by gmaugham
    I know that my company wouldn't turn on the POP3 portion of our Exchange Server for anything, so that option's not available for a lot of people.

As far as getting your IT dept. to install the server-side software, you may want to know that the costs are not inconsequential.

Geoffrey
    Yes, you are right but...there a are a lot of ways to get Exchange to work with PDA's quite inexpensively and still maintain security. One example would be to use OWA with this utility or, another option is to enable POP3 with port redirection and user authentication or, VPN. There are a lot of ways to do it without "breaking the bank," expending a lot of time or compromizing security.
    I understand your point. In a company like mine, which has "standardized" on Blackberries and requires a human sacrifice for anything else, getting them to install, and pay even a small amount for, services like OWA for PDA. I think this solution would be a great alternative, since we already have OWA implemented. I'm going to forward it to my IT people and see how much blood they require.

Geoffrey
  12.    #12  
    If I could just figure out on my own, how to prevent my desktop from disconnecting from the network everynight automatically, I could use BC and problem solved.
    Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    Why are you logged out ? Inactivity or just because it's 11:30pm or something ? If inactivity, there's lots of ways around that...
  14.    #14  
    Why are you logged out ? Inactivity or just because it's 11:30pm or something ? If inactivity, there's lots of ways around that...
    I'm not sure. I think it's inactivity. Got any ideas I can try out?
    Originally posted by mo-bile

I'm not sure. I think it's inactivity. Got any ideas I can try out?
    if you/your company use a file sever, it might be setup to log you out so it can do a backup of the server.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    All you need (if inactivity timeout is the culprit) is a small batch file that writes a file to the network in a loop:

Write file to server
    wait 30 minutes
    start over

You could run the file and minimize it and you'd never know it was there. I used a similar idea when IP tunnelling first came out to keep the PPP connection alive.

Now, before you take my advice you should know that this may really upset your IT department and violate office policy. You should check first before you get yourself in trouble.
    Originally posted by Felipe

if you/your company use a file sever, it might be setup to log you out so it can do a backup of the server.
    Yes but more likely than not the server breaks the connections after a certain amount of innactivity and requires a re-login and/or at a specific time for security purposes.
  18.    #18  
    Originally posted by Maniac8888

Yes but more likely than not the server breaks the connections after a certain amount of innactivity and requires a re-login and/or at a specific time for security purposes.
    You might be right.

And yeah, I am a little worried about violating anything setup for security reasons.

Maybe I'll just ask them if they have anyone setup with Blackberries and if they could set me up with something similar on my Treo.
    Originally posted by mo-bile

And yeah, I am a little worried about violating anything setup for security reasons.
    I had the same concerns at my company which is notorious for security. Wireless LANs are banned, forwarding email to an non-coporate email account is banned, laptops are chained to desks etc.

I spent a month or two looking for "legal" work-arounds and finally came up with a solution. I now use the modem in my Treo and dial into one of the corporate dial up connections. Once the connection is established I can download and send corporate email through Eudora without violating any corporate rules and without trying to get IT involved to install software on the corporate email server.

I have a coporate account with Sprint so I am unsure of the charges but some have said the charges for the modem connection can be steep. Also watch for battery drain, the internal modem chews up a lot of juice.
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    Go to www.visto.com and check out their solution. I have implemented it at my organization with great success. Visto will provide you with a palm client application that can pull your exchange corporate email from your server periodically--sometimes resulting in a blackberry like appearance.