Global Posts
    135 Global Posts
    well, i guess there will be a lot of "newbie" type posts coming with the price drop, so i might as well start them all.

stunningly, it took only 2 days for my treo to arrive. my girlfriend said it's now at home, beckoning me to leave work early. )

i drop things. enough said. not too often, but i do. i've got a heavy duty Rhinoskin for my old Visor Deluxe.

without spending a fortune, what are some of the better Treo protective cases out there?

and on a related note, what other "side" purchases do i need? protective sheets for the screen? etc etc?

thanks,
    newbie Tree
    welcome to the exciting world of Treo users. you're in for a fun roller coaster ride in the next few months. lots of info on this board. do a search on 'cases' or 'holsters' and you'll get more than enough information (info overload actually). also, IMO screen protectors are a must for any PDA. again, welcome, have fun, and good luck.
    Global Posts
    265 Global Posts
    i use brillianize (see link below) as a protectant for my treo, glasses, computer, tv. etc, it puts on a slick protective coating so you never have to use the ugly overlays. order the #8k, it will last forever.

http://www.brillianize.com/
    morris stalk
    I got the Case Techworks and love it. I bought the one that the Sprint store had, just a leather holster (now sitting at home colection dust). THe Case Tech one is almost the same with the addition of a front cover and some more.

click here for their site

Good case, Matt Burkhard
    Go here for all your newbie questions. It's a great resource.

All your questions answered here.
    I have bought around five Treo cases and holsters since I bought my Treo. End result is that I agree with Matt. The CaseTech Works is the only way to go.

It is the only available case that protects the Treo, allows you to wear it on your belt like a holster, and doesn't make you remove it from the case to answer the phone or plug it into the hotsync/power adapter cable.

The only gripe is that, when the case is new and the leather is still tight, it can have a tendancy to open the flip-top all by itself. This problem goes away after a day or two.
    i also have several cases - the handspring nylon sport case, the leather international case, and the brookstone. once i got the brookstone case, i have never used the others.

i am not a constant phone user, so slipping it out to get a call is not a big deal for me. and the case is sleek and fits like a glove. and at $12.50 the price is hard to beat.

the case tech works is tempting, however...
    Change is a challenge to the adventurous, an opportunity to the alert, a threat to the insecure.
    It's a great looking case, and the company's service is wonderful.

It's by far the most professional looking case, IMHO.

Highly recommended!
    Originally posted by Treesham
    well, i guess there will be a lot of "newbie" type posts coming with the price drop, so i might as well start them all.

stunningly, it took only 2 days for my treo to arrive. my girlfriend said it's now at home, beckoning me to leave work early. )

i drop things. enough said. not too often, but i do. i've got a heavy duty Rhinoskin for my old Visor Deluxe.

without spending a fortune, what are some of the better Treo protective cases out there?

and on a related note, what other "side" purchases do i need? protective sheets for the screen? etc etc?

thanks,
    newbie Tree
    I highly recommend the Drivers Fone "hands free" system from Heartlandamerica.com costs $20 (as compared to $99.99 elsewhere)

Basically a battery (3 AA) device w/speaker and microphone that attaches to your vehicle's headrest. You plug the unit into the earbud jack of the Treo .. and there you go!

I got 3 units - one for each car. It comes w/2 adapters .. 1 for typical 2.5mm jacks .. and the other that works w/the Treo (2.5mm w/3 bands)

As for cases .. I picked up a simple leather one w/clear plastic sleeve that fits over the keyboard. It has a snap-loop that attaches over the antenna - it has the hard plastic knob that fits into a belt clip. I think I picked it up at ... either a Staples or Best Buy ..

If you travel alot .. you might want a travel charger ... seidio.com features a pretty good one .. you can charge up your Treo via car cigarette lighter or AC plug using a single device.

Enjoy your Treo (I got mine just a few months ago)

I've found two cases that work quite well:

For business, I use the Nutshell (www.tuff-as-nuts.com) leather holster with belt loop (clip also available).

For outdoor stuff, I just got the Basecamp model from Grinder Gear (www.grindergear.com). Not waterproof, but well designed and very protective.

Good luck.
    Global Posts
    135 Global Posts
    Originally posted by rasatter

For outdoor stuff, I just got the Basecamp model from Grinder Gear (www.grindergear.com). Not waterproof, but well designed and very protective.

Good luck.
    that's more what i'm looking for. i'm less concerned with belt clips and how it looks, and more concered with if i drop the thing.

good protection on that basecamp? can i use the phone by just opening it, or do i have to pull it out? etc etc

thanks!

Tree
    I use the Belkin Treo case. cost 20 bucks and works great. The website is sold out but you can get them at CC for the same price.

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProdu...duct_Id=129557

J.
    Originally posted by jptsr1
    I use the Belkin Treo case. cost 20 bucks and works great. The website is sold out but you can get them at CC for the same price.

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProdu...duct_Id=129557

J.
    What's the flap, velcro? I have a Brookstone case but the velcro was very annoying so I had to cut off the flap. I'd actually like a nice magnetic flap, I had one for my blackberry and man there's no going back. Of course, there is a contingent of people who hate magnetic clasps. Dunno why.

Can't we all just agree that velcro is evil
    Originally posted by potatoho

What's the flap, velcro? I have a Brookstone case but the velcro was very annoying so I had to cut off the flap. I'd actually like a nice magnetic flap, I had one for my blackberry and man there's no going back. Of course, there is a contingent of people who hate magnetic clasps. Dunno why.

Can't we all just agree that velcro is evil
    Its velcro, works fine though. What was the problem you had with the flap on the Brookstone?

J.
    Originally posted by jptsr1
    Its velcro, works fine though. What was the problem you had with the flap on the Brookstone?
    It had velcro on it. 1-1/4" x 3/4" strip of it. Nasty, noisy, stuff.
    Originally posted by potatoho

It had velcro on it. 1-1/4" x 3/4" strip of it. Nasty, noisy, stuff.
    The Belkin model is not for you then. It definitely has a patch of Velcro to keep it closed. If you want one with a magnetic clasp, I have a pouch from Coach that I used to use with my Palm pilot that my wife now uses for her palm 515. Iím pretty sure they still make it. I think it was originally for a deck of cards or a pack of cigarettes, but it fits the Treo nicely. It even has a little pouch up front you can put your earpiece in. Think it ran me about $150 like 4 or so years ago.

J.