1.    #1  
    This morning I received an E-mail from Tiger Direct announcing they have Treo 180's for $49.99. great price for a "backup" phone or to get a family member started on the Treo.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...RCCODE=WEM451A
    Wow!!!!
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
  3. ocs
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    Be careful, though -- it appears the phone is vendor-locked, it does not like my Cingular SIM card.

Oliver
  4. ocs
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    Looks like TD has reduced the price further -- $29 after $150 rebate. But presumably still locked to T-Mobile (still not mentioned on their page).
    Is it true this great Tiger Direct rebate is only good on New T-Mobile accounts?
    -mbd26
  6. ocs
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    Originally posted by mbd26
    Is it true this great Tiger Direct rebate is only good on New T-Mobile accounts?
    Yes, the rebate is for signing up with T-Mobile. That is actually clearly explained on the page (or on the linked rebate coupon).

What is NOT at all mentioned is that the phone is also carrier-locked to T-Mobile, so if you try to use another carrier's SIM card, it (likely) won't work (mine doesn't accept my Cingular SIM card).

I thought about this for a while (after calling TD and complaining about it and getting an RMA), and decided to keep the Treo anyway. My main concern is that I won't be able to travel abroad with this Treo (since I always buy local pre-paid SIM cards to avoid the pay-through-the-nose rates US carriers charge you for international roaming). But I have an unlocked Motorola 7389 Tri-Band phone that I can use for that if really needed... and this Treo will likely be a cheap short-term solution anyway (to replace my other broken 180) until HS or someone else comes out with a new, enticing model.

Still, I consider the sales approach of TD unethical...

Oliver
  7.    #7  
    Since I am a T-Mobile customer I guess it being "carrier locked" would notbe of concern. I bought my initial Treo 180 from Handspring with T-Mobile service activation; does that mean the phone is carrier locked? When I contacted AT&T to see if their SIM card would work in a Treo I was told no without further explanation.

Recently I bought a Treo 270 from T-Mobile on their upgrade progam; does that mean that phone is carrier locked?
  8. ocs
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    The only reliable way to find out is to try it out. Find someone who has GSM service with another carrier (AT&T or Cingular) and try their SIM chip in your Treo. If you can make phone calls, it's not locked. If you get an error indicating that the SIM card cannot be used in this Treo, it's locked.

If you don't know anyone with AT&T or Cingular service, maybe go to an AT&T or Cingular store and ask them to try it out (pretent you're interested in switching carriers soon when your contract with T-Mobile expires).
  9.    #9  
    You've made my point. I paid "full" price for the Treo 180 and have no idea if it's "carrier locked" so does that make Handspring unethical? Tiger Direct's offer was a real bargain and based on your comments it sounds like they fully disclosed information about the "deal". I am not their apologist but I consider their offer above board. Check out the following string if you want to see some serious ethical issues.
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...threadid=33198
  10. ocs
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    Tiger Direct's offer was a real bargain and based on your comments it sounds like they fully disclosed information about the "deal". I am not their apologist but I consider their offer above board.
    Is it really a bargain? It's $200 for a Treo 180 if you don't take the $150 T-Mobile rebate. The 180 is a discontinued item. What is "full price" for a discontinued item?

Further, last I checked the TigerDirect page does not state anywhere that the phone portion of the Treo 180 can only be used with T-Mobile's service. Au contraire, mon ami! Let me quote from TD's web site:

How do I activate my Treo communicator?

Depending on which service provider you use, your experience will vary slightly. Below there is a link to activate your service, with easy-to-read instructions which are included in the Treo box with the SIM card.

The Treo communicator operates on the worldwide GSM network. In North America, new GSM service plans are offered from Cingular Wireless and T-Mobile. If you would like to use an existing wireless account with the Treo communicator, please contact your carrier to confirm that it works on the GSM network.
    If that's not misleading (or rather plain false) and thus unethical, I don't know what would be.

Unless, of course, you think that "your experience will vary slightly" should be interpreted as "if you don't use T-Mobile it won't work".

Oliver
    Last edited by ocs; 04/15/2003 at 01:05 PM.
  11. ocs
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    Well, looks like I bought the 180 a couple weeks too early -- now it's down to nothing ($0) after rebate, at TigerDirect. Presumably with the same caveat as earlier mentioned in this thread.
    don't you think they're all just left-over returns from Handspring and thus simply refurbished items which will quickly develop the old 180 problems that plagues so many users?
  13. ocs
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    Well, last week they (TD) were selling Treos at two different prices ($29 and $39, I think), and the cheaper ones were open boxes/returns (probably from people who didn't like the fact that it was carrier-locked?). The one I got a couple of weeks ago definitely looked new (not a scratch on it).
    >>> Looks like a Great way to get Spare Parts :-)

All those who cracked their screen etc. could consider that.