1.    #1  
    I WILL buy a Treo 300 in the next few days. I saw an ad at Amazon.com that says they sell the unit for $499 minus $200 from a Sprint rebate and minus $150 from Amazon. Total cost is $149. I went to a Radio Shack and they told me they were not allowed to match the price. Did this mean it's against the law or were they just making excuses. They will waive the $34 activation fee and said the unit comes with charger, ear phone, and car charger. Does anyone know if the Amazon phone has the same options?
    I believe they are the same. Even if not, you have to compare $150 versus $34. That's a no-brainer - or is it?
    Here are my questions:
    1) Is there any chance the Sprint store will match the Amazon deal?
    2) If I buy online, will the Sprint store acitivate it? I know I can do it online, but prefer to go in to store.
    3) Any other reason to buy or not buy the 300 online?

PS - I am anxious, this looks like the perfect pda/cell phone.!
    Last edited by WillyGM; 04/01/2003 at 06:39 AM.
    IMO, the Treo 270 is pretty much the perfect cell phone (for today). The data priority over voice can generate missed calls, and, depending on where you are, data disconnects are frequent. Customer service is godawful.

The only downside to the 270 is cost. But if you can afford it, it is (IMO) a far better solution.

- m
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    Originally posted by mblank
    IMO, the Treo 270 is pretty much the perfect cell phone (for today). The data priority over voice can generate missed calls, and, depending on where you are, data disconnects are frequent. Customer service is godawful.

The only downside to the 270 is cost. But if you can afford it, it is (IMO) a far better solution.

- m
    The data priority is different on the 270 vs 300? I wouldn't think it would be any different.

I haven't had any issues with data disconnects and I don't live in a metropolis either.

Conversely I left T-mobile due to the lousy customer service I experienced. Just like car buyers, wireless customers have wildly different experiences with the different vendors.

Willy take a long look through these message boards if you want a feel for what sort of issues Treo owners have.

The Sprint store may or may not match the price. Its my understanding that the phone will come activated from Amazon, but if not the Sprint store can activate it for you. Your other option is to hit *2 from the phone itself and let CS help you activate it.
    Customer service is godawful.
    Just don't go to T-Mobile, you'll be sorry. Sprint customer service may be long winded and useless, but at least they'll throw cash at you to shut you up
    Actually, the 270 does data and voice very differently from the 300. When a voice call comes in on the 270, the data channel is effectively put on hold until the voice call has ended. There's simply no such thing as missing a voice call due to a data session.

Customer service is, I suppose, very dependent on who you end up dealing with. In my experience, however, T-Mobile has the superior customer service.

- m

p.s. I use both the Treo 300 and the Treo 270.
    Customer service is, I suppose, very dependent on who you end up dealing with. In my experience, however, T-Mobile has the superior customer service.
    Well I'm definitely letting my money talk for me. T-Mobile has conned me out of a year's worth of $40/mo and a $50 phone rebate with their lies and false advertising of coverage, so be it. Whereas I now have 3 Sprint phones, and am thinking of adding another. Sprint is giving away phones man! Good ones too! That's customer service.

Eh, I guess I'm just a little pissed off at T-Mobile. Getting shafted over and over tends to do that to a person. YMMV.

Edited to say that I really hate T-Mobile!
  7.    #7  
    All very interesting, but nobody has answered my original questions. I would also like to know if Amazon will accept a return before 30 days and what about cancelling cell service after 14 days?
    Originally posted by potatoho

Just don't go to T-Mobile, you'll be sorry. Sprint customer service may be long winded and useless, but at least they'll throw cash at you to shut you up
    For what it's worth, my support issues with TMO were always resolved quickly, professionally and to my satisfaction (I defected because of data pricing).
    Getting back on-topic...I can't answer about returns but I will tell you that many people have bought their Treos from Amazon and haven't had any problems as a result. Amazon is a reputable company and that $150 price is too good to pass up, IMO.

Getting back off-topic...If you have a need to travel out of the US or can't get a Sprint signal in your area, but can get a T-Mobile signal (which would be unlikely considering that Sprint has the better network of the two), the Treo 270 would be the better phone. But, if not, the Treo 300 blows away, IMO, the 270 simply because of the lower price ($150) and affordable unlimited data plan.

Scott
    I bought my Treo 300 from Amazon back in November 2002. I couldn't get the unit to activate over-the-air, so I took it to a Sprint store for their help (yes, they will activate it for you). They tried to activate it, but also couldn't, and we determined the unit was defective (touchscreen intermittently failed to accept input). I called Amazon and had a new unit within two days via UPS (yes, 30 day return...no questions asked...prepaid return mailer). The new unit worked perfectly, I have had zero problems since then. The Amazon rebate has been slow in coming (almost 4 months, now), but they now promise that the check is in the mail. If I could figure a way to get the $149 price to replace my wife's phone (existing contract and phone #) I certainly would. The only drawback I see to buying from Amazon is that you can't buy one of these $60 replacement programs like you can from Circuit City, where (they say) you can get the full price of your phone applied to a replacement phone for a period of three years. If this program really works as advertised, it would provide a great upgrade path.

To answer your first question...I tried to get my local Sprint store to match the Amazon price last November...not a chance...but I've heard others say that they were more successful than I....either price matching or some sort of partial service credit applied to their account.
  11.    #11  
    I tried again today at a Sprint store in town and the clerk took the print out from Amazon to the back room. I assume he took it to the supervisor. When he came back, he said they sometimes match prices, but this was too much of a discount. There is one more store in town I will try on Friday. If that doesn't work, I will order online.
    I have a question about this Amazon offer. My birthday is coming up, and someone was going to buy a 300 for me as a gift, and now with that low price they plan to buy it for me ASAP. Of course to get the good deal you have to go ahead and buy one of the Sprint plans. Would it be easy afterward to switch the billing over to me? And do they actually send you a bill in the mail or do they charge your card every month or what?

Is $45/month really the cheapest price if you want a web connection?
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    The rebates are contingent upon service activation and a minimum one year contract (amazon rebate) and 30-60 days usage (sprint rebate).

So, no it would not make sense to switch the phone into your name after purchase (loss of rebates, contract early termination fee, multiple activation fees). It might make sense for the phone to be bought in your name.

You pay your first month service in advance and then sprint bills you monthly for service and extra useage. $45 is the minimum plan right now with unlimited Vision (plus taxes, which are quite high for cell phones in some states).
    Originally posted by potatoho
    Sprint customer service may be long winded and useless, but at least they'll throw cash at you to shut you up
    This practice is really starting to win me over I know I should have gotten my rebate correctly in the first place, but at least they worked it out satisfactorily.

Had my $50 rebate initially rejected in January, then called and was told it would be sent out in 10 days. Well, got another rejection letter instead of a check. This time I just left an email asking them to credit my account. Bingo, next day an apologetic email and my account is credited.

Combine that with my referral things, and I now have a negative balance on my account