1.    #1  
    Hi, can someone please shed some light on this? I'm selling my Treo 270. I had Cingular and have cancelled my plan. Therefore, I do not need the SIM card. Should I include the SIM card when I sell the Treo? Could there be any sensitive data on the SIM card? Does it help the buyer by including the SIM card? Or should I just discard it and not worry about it? Another question is, I have not done any "Locking" of the phone. That means it should be an "Unlocked" phone, right? What's the purpose of "locking" a phone, anyway?
    Thanks in advance!
    SIM stands for Subscriber's Identity Module, and this is somehow like a Credit Card. The SIM does not contain sensitive data unless you have stored them in it. Just discard the SIM. I don't know about US Providers, but here in Europe after cancellation, the provider deactivates the card rendering it useless. Though you have not done any "locking" on the Treo, it is possible that the Treo is SIM Locked, meaning that the radio of the Treo will work only with Cingular SIMs, therefore your buyer will have to subscribe to Cingular. I believe this is a common practice with US and UK providers. Here in Switzerland, except for the Orange SPV, all phones are unlocked.

Btw, why are you selling your Treo? After upgrading to GPRS 1.1.1, I absolutely had no problems. I have recently upgraded to GPRS 1.1.2 and the Treo keeps on going. I'm still on my first unit and have had it for quite some time already, and I'm quite a heavy user. I have also openned it up a few times since I was trying to to find ways and means to make an internal antenna.
  3.    #3  
    Thanks. I've moved to Sprint/Treo 300. I agree, the 270 was working just fine. I just think Sprint had better coverage in this area and I like thier data plan. But I miss the true SMS ability on the 270...

One more question please. Is there a way to tell if the Treo 270 is "Unlocked" or not?

Regards!
    You should not include you SIM because it has your Phone account information. Anyone buying your 270 will get a SIM from their provider, or use one from their old phone.

As far as I know, the 270 will work with both Cingular and T-Mobile (I use T-Mobile). I've used the same SIM in over 5 phones (Including my Treo) and it is greate because when I transfer the SIM the new device becomes my new phone. No dealing with providers telling them I have a new phone and getting them to activate it. Also, my SIM phone book transfers as well, so I never have to re-enter that data.
    Global Posts
    723 Global Posts
    You might decide to buy a new GSM Treo if it is superior to the 300. My big complaint with Sprint is the way they treat SMS. on a GSM Treo, you just get messages, along with being able to send them on the fly. With Sprint, you must web browse to see your message, an extra step. Even with unlimited data, this is a pain! And it causes users to rely on SMS less rather than more. Support SMS!
    Originally posted by mharpen
    Is there a way to tell if the Treo 270 is "Unlocked" or not?
    To be sure that it's not locked to your GSM provider, (Cingular), just borrow the SIM card from anybody using another GSM provider. Put this borrowed SIM into your Treo 270. If it works, you can be sure that it's unlocked.
    Best regards
    TreoBuddy
    TreoFrance , la première communauté francophone entièrement dédiée au Treo
  7.    #7  
    Thanks for the info. I'm not totally clear, but it sounds like the SIM is useless now that I have cancelled my Cingular account.

Should I keep the SIM card or discard it? If I go back to Cingular in the future, would I be able to use the SIM card?

Does anyone know if Cingular typically "Locks" their Treos or not?
    Thanks again!
    Originally posted by DHAnderson
    As far as I know, the 270 will work with both Cingular and T-Mobile (I use T-Mobile). I've used the same SIM in over 5 phones (Including my Treo) and it is greate because when I transfer the SIM the new device becomes my new phone. No dealing with providers telling them I have a new phone and getting them to activate it. Also, my SIM phone book transfers as well, so I never have to re-enter that data.
    Using a SIM to 5 different unlocked phones does not prove that the Treo is an unlocked unit. Try Treobuddy's suggestion. It will surely prove if your Treo is not SIM locked.
    Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    Thanks for the info. I'm not totally clear, but it sounds like the SIM is useless now that I have cancelled my Cingular account.

Should I keep the SIM card or discard it? If I go back to Cingular in the future, would I be able to use the SIM card?

Does anyone know if Cingular typically "Locks" their Treos or not?
    Thanks again!

Hey "M"
    Don't toss the SIM. You can delete your info from the sim. I'm not sure how on the Treo but Non-pda phones usually have a setting to do that. You can sell your SIM. Cingular sells theirs for appx. $28.00. People on the net are always looking for them. If you do go back to Cingular, you can have it re-activated. They don't upgrade their system often enough for you not to be able to re-use that SIM for a long time in the future.
    My Cingular Treo 270 is NOT locked. A guy at T-mobile said no Treo is locked. Also, if any phone is locked and you BUY that phone, the provider has no right to keep it locked. You just have to ask them to unlock it. Should be free of charge.
    Burrzoo
  10.    #10  
    Thanks Burrzoo!
    You're right, there are many SIMs being sold on ebay. Not many used ones though. If I did need it in the futre (if I go back to Cingular), could they re-program it for my new account then?

Thanks again for all your info.
    Mark
    Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    Thanks Burrzoo!
    You're right, there are many SIMs being sold on ebay. Not many used ones though. If I did need it in the futre (if I go back to Cingular), could they re-program it for my new account then?

Thanks again for all your info.
    Mark
    Hi Mark,

All that you would have to do, is call Cingular and give them the number that is on the SIM card. Really, really easy. The worst part is going through the phone menu/prompts to get to a Rep!

Take care,

Burrzoo