1.    #1  
    So I got a chance to play with a Sony Clie TG-50 today for the first time and I've got to say I'm experiencing some real screen envy. As a whole it's so slim and slick, with Bluetooth, etc. I even prefer the thumb-board on the Sony. Come on Handspring, give us the new Treo! If/when Sprint gives us a handset with Bluetooth and unlimited Vision I would be very tempted to jump ship.

Best,
    --Mathew
    Yeah, the screen on the Treo is not the greatest. However, I still think that right now (and to a much greater degree when I bought it) it is the best device for my purposes. I am never going to carry a cell phone and a pda (especially since I'd also have to go back to carrying my Blackberry in addition!)
  3.    #3  
    Originally posted by KRamsauer
    Yeah, the screen on the Treo is not the greatest. However, I still think that right now (and to a much greater degree when I bought it) it is the best device for my purposes. I am never going to carry a cell phone and a pda (especially since I'd also have to go back to carrying my Blackberry in addition!)
    Don't get me wrong; I love my Treo, but seeing the Clie in the flesh, so to speak, really shows how much better it could be. I'll never go back to an unconnected PDA, but with the bluetooth conx to a Vision enabled handset what can the Treo do that the Clie + phone would not (in other words, if the Treo eliminates your need for the Blackberry, why would you need it if you changed to a Clie + phone).

Clearly carrying two things versus one is a downside, but by the same token, being able to carry a very small phone without the bulk of the PDA would sometimes be attractive to me (e.g. after hours, so to speak).

Best,
    --Mathew
    Originally posted by mathewlu

I'll never go back to an unconnected PDA, but with the bluetooth conx to a Vision enabled handset what can the Treo do that the Clie + phone would not (in other words, if the Treo eliminates your need for the Blackberry, why would you need it if you changed to a Clie + phone).
    Sprint's Business Connection software doesn't support any devices other than the 300 and the Samsung phones.
    IF HS disappoints with their next gen Treo, I'm definitely goind to consider the TG50 + SE T608 mobile w/integrated BT for Sprint. Although I woudl hate to go back to two devices, that would be a very nice combo..
  6.    #6  
    Originally posted by gfunkmagic
    IF HS disappoints with their next gen Treo, I'm definitely goind to consider the TG50 + SE T608 mobile w/integrated BT for Sprint. Although I woudl hate to go back to two devices, that would be a very nice combo..
    Any idea when the T608 is going to be available?

Best,
    --Mathew
    The screen we have on the Treo 300 was specifically included to reduce power consumption. So while the Sony screens are beautiful, they do consume more power. In my opinion, the compromise Handspring came up with is totally acceptable.

Just my .02 worth.
    Rees
    Originally posted by mathewlu

Any idea when the T608 is going to be available?

Best,
    --Mathew
    Well SE released a press report saying they were intorducing the T608/T606 by April, but according to the rumors I've heard over at howardforums we shouldn't expect to see these mobiles until May at the earliest, but who knows. Heck, it took Verizon 8 MONTHS to finally release the Kyocera 7135 from its initial unveiling. Also, it remains to be seen if Sprint will somehow bastardize the BT on the T608 preventing use of it for anything besides headset...
    Originally posted by ReesR
    The screen we have on the Treo 300 was specifically included to reduce power consumption. So while the Sony screens are beautiful, they do consume more power. In my opinion, the compromise Handspring came up with is totally acceptable.

Just my .02 worth.
    Well then how do explain the fact that the T|W has a 320x320 reflective screen and 10 hours of talk time that blows the Treo out the water!. Although it is different form the one found on the TG50, I think it shows that screen resolution does not have to be held hostage to power consumption!
  10.    #10  
    Originally posted by gfunkmagic

Well then how do explain the fact that the T|W has a 320x320 reflective screen and 10 hours of talk time that blows the Treo out the water!. Although it is different form the one found on the TG50, I think it shows that screen resolution does not have to be held hostage to power consumption!
    Your point is well taken. A couple of things:

1) It's the back-light, not the screen resolution that is the biggest battery draw.

2) The design of the Treo was finalized a long time ago--the technology available has probably improved since then.

Regards,
    --Mathew