1.    #1  
    Dear All

Having spent quite a while lurking on this forum I'm posting a request for some helpful input on a decision I have to make.

I like in Karachi and we have GSM 900 over here. I'm a long standing user of a Handspring Visor Deluxe (yes, old !!) and am fedup of carrying both a mobile and a PDA. WHen the Treo 180 came out I was ecstatic but I held back on buying as the 270 was soon to be available. Now I'm at the crossroad to making a purchase. I'm all set to get the US version of the 270 (so that it works everywhere) BUT ........... after reading this forum it is clear that a HUGE number of people have had to have their sets replaced at least once. This makes things difficult for me 'cause I'll be buying it from the US and taking it back home. Should it run faulty, it won't be easy to send back to replace etc. etc. What concerns me is the relative frequency with which folks have had to replace their sets.

SO my question ........

1. should I buy it given my limitation ?

2. If not, what's the alternative for a PDA-phone ?

3. I was looking at the Ericsson P 800 - wow, looks great (Triband, PDA, MP3 player .. you name it .... ) but no Palm OS. But no high incidence of defective units. Maybe I should forgo the Palm OS and live with Symbian ?

4. A Samsung model SGH i500 is on the horizon with a Palm OS. But won't be available till 3rd quater of this year. Don't want to wait that long.

Will really appreciate opinions on this subject

Regards

Fahim Jafary
    i think u should go ahead and get a Treo 270. I don't think all the reported problems on this discussion board is an accurate representation of the percentage of problematic Treos. I've had my Treo 270 for 10 months now, I've not had a single problem. Its much more likely for a person to post messages on this forum if they have problems then if everything works perfectly.

Also in my opinion there's nothing on the market better then the Treo. I've kept track of new and upcoming smartphones. . . the Samsung SGHI-500 I think is the closest but I don't know if I can give up the thumboard. Once you start using the thumboard its really hard to give it up. I'm typing this on my Treo. If I had one of the other smartphones I wouldn't have even considered replying to your post.
    Global Posts
    723 Global Posts
    Well, I am definitely a Treo convert. As a wireless messaging replacement for a Palm, it is the way to go. I tested mine in France and Switzerland a couple weeks ago and while the service is expensive, it worked, better even than in the US. That said, I don't think the Treo is a great replacement for a phone. (I keep a T68i around in case I need to make a long phone call) The battery life is too short. But the Treo runs my palm apps faster and better than most older Palms, is light, cool looking and cheap (I paid $375 for mine, new in the box) The Ericsson P800 is probably a better phone, not sure if its Symbian OS can run stuff yet. One of my friends has one and I was thinking of borrowing it for a few days. I don't think it can do messaging as well as a Treo, but it would work as an SMS and GPRS bluetooth modem for a pocket pc or laptop. (So far, the Treo can't do that..) Hope this provides a little additional guidance.
    I have 6 Treo's in one year. Now I am an owner of the p800. OK its not a Palm but its a good alternative to the Treo. The hardware ist quite better and the os is stable. On thing left: With P800 you have not a huge amount of software than with treo but I think this will come in the next few month.

The shop that sells me the treo said to me that ALL Treo's that they sells comes back with problems. Therefor they kicked Treos out from their offers. Instead of Treo they sent me a P800 and now I happy with this device.
  5.    #5  
    I think you've summarized things well .... if I was living in the US or the UK for that matter I'd definitely go with the Treo ....... worst case scenario, I'd have to exchange a unit. But since I don't live in an area where Handspring has a local office, I can't risk the problems you've alluded to. I think I'm going to go with the P800, despite the loss of the Palm OS. I figure that most of my use of the PDA is still going to be phone contacts and a personal calender. I used to do a lot of work with HandDbase (several databases) and I suppose I'll just have to wait until a database utility comes out for the P800 ...... hopefully not too far in the future

Fahim
    Originally posted by jafary
    I think you've summarized things well .... if I was living in the US or the UK for that matter I'd definitely go with the Treo ....... worst case scenario, I'd have to exchange a unit. But since I don't live in an area where Handspring has a local office, I can't risk the problems you've alluded to. I think I'm going to go with the P800, despite the loss of the Palm OS.
    Being in Karashi, I believe you are in the sector of Handspring' representative in Dubai.
    Send me an Email if you want their contact number, they are pretty helpful.
    It's always a good idea to research a product before you buy. Yes people have had to replace their handsets and that's mostly because of some minute design flaws, but these flaws are fixable either by preventative care and a good case or by creative ingenuity. I have noticed several temporary fixes, and thus these temporary fixes don't completely take care of the issues, such as putting tape over the sim card door because it gets loose over time. I personally put a screw in the sim card door to remedy this problem permanently. Remember this product is only slightly rugged so be careful. Other than having to put a screw in the sim card door of my $500 phone, I haven't had any problems to warrant sending my unit back to the manufacturer. I would consider myself a very frequent user. I am a process server so I use my phone daily to get on the web and locate people on top of using the notepad function to catalog every delivery, and using the treo as my peronal office phone. I have previously owned a Visor Prism, and have owned my Treo 270 for approximately a year.

Before you decide to buy the US version you might want to make sure that the US version includes the correct GSM frequency for where you are going to be using it. I know of three (GSM 900/1800/1900 MHz) (Europe and Asia on GSM 900 networks, the US on GSM 1900 networks, and other countries and carriers on 1800 networks, I don't know which). The US version is a dual mode GSM phone conaining the 900 and the 1900.

I personally believe the Treo 270 is a win, win product to buy. Hopefully this information gives you a heads up.