1.    #1  
    I have checked out Treo300SMS but I just can't put my trust in Sprint's messaging website...IT SUCKS!
    Does anybody have any other apps that they enjoy or recommend?
    Thanks!
    Treo300SMS is the only "SMS" app that works on the Treo 300. Any other app for SMS requires a phone that uses real SMS, not Sprint's shortmail.
  3.    #3  
    Thanks for the reply. I thought that might be the case....I was just hoping otherwise!
    Using ##########@messaging.sprintpcs.com sends an SMS directly to the phone. Also using the messaging.sprintpcs.com gateway does the same.

However, when the SMS is not sourced from either of those methods, it will be sent to the Treo 300 as something called shortmail. Shortmail sends a small SMS with an embedded WAP URL in it. The URL is a pointer to the actual message which resides on a web server; something like smwl.uc.sprintpcs.com/sml/wap.do?alert=true.

So shortmail is a two step process. You get an SMS, but then you hit "Go" and it goes into a browser to retrieve the original SMS's text. What a pain.

Treo300SMS, however, recognizes these shortmail SMSs and it then sends a command to a PDAApps server which downloads the URL and pumps it into the messaging.sprintpcs.com gateway.. so that the contents will then arrive as *another* SMS to your Treo 300. Neato, I guess. But what a hideous system. It requires two SMSs and a small data connection just to receive an SMS from another carrier.

Clearly this is all by Sprint's design. They could have easily piped all SMS right into their messaging.sprintpcs.com mechanism to arrive as a true SMS. But they choose to use their shortmail system. Probably just a pile of legacy junk which let's them go between carriers or something.
  5.    #5  
    Potatoho,
    Do you have any tricks for messaging firends on other carriers?
    AT&T, Verizon, Cingular?thanks for your insight.
    J
    Jack -

In terms of messaging with other carriers, I still use Treo300SMS, and send right to those users' cell phone numbers. No need to use the cell gateway thing (phone#@carrier.net/whatever).

I do think Treo300SMS is your overall answer...
    Originally posted by sf_jack
    Potatoho,
    Do you have any tricks for messaging firends on other carriers?
    AT&T, Verizon, Cingular?thanks for your insight.
    J
    Like nrosser said, Treo300SMS outgoing does allow you to send to other carriers. From what I've read on the PDAApps site, they use the shortmail system for outgoing as well.