1.    #1  
    There are currently 64 Chatter testers, 10 of whom have been added over the past day. I am still working my way through the requests that I've received. At this point, I've gotten everyone (I think) who applied before March 15th. There are 20-odd people still in the queue, and I'm hoping to get caught up on these over the next week or so.

My plan is to continue to add testers as requests come in; the beta version will evolve into a "release" sometime during April, I suspect.

Marc\

p.s. Current testers can feel free to post about Chatter as they see fit.
    Marc am i still in the que? if not where can I and other people sign up?
  3.    #3  
    I don't see you, but it could well be my mistake (if so, sorry). You can fill out the questionaire at ...

http://www.imchatter.com/solidclient/ForumClient.php

Thanks.

- m
    I was going to ask if I am still in the queue, but I'm afraid of starting a barage of "me too" posts. Is it possible to send a short e-mail to those still in the queue so they know that their requests haven't been lost?

-bill
  5.    #5  
    Hi, Bill. Yes, you're there (looks like #10 or so). I'm putting out the releases in batches. If I hear good things this weekend, I'll probably do another dozen or so by Monday. I just want to be sure, with each release, that I haven't done some bonehead thing which might screw up a lot of people!

- Marc

p.s. Good suggestion...
    Hi Marc,

I sent you my questionaire on 3/5 but I haven't received it yet? Was it lost?

Thanks
    George
  7.    #7  
    Hmm.. Must have lost it somehow, darn it, though the name is familiar. Would you mind sending me the info again, and I'll put you at the top of the list.

- m
    I guess this has become the question of the thread, but I too have not heard back yet? Am I still on the list? I applied around the 19th.

I can't wait to put this head to head with Verichat.

Thanks!
  9.    #9  
    Hi, Eric. Looks like you're around #6 on the list; you'll definitely get it in the next batch (tomorrow, I'm thinking). Thanks for being patient.

Regarding comparing with VeriChat head-to-head, it won't be that easy, I think. They are very, very different. I think ALL of my testers have also used VeriChat. It would be interesting to hear from them about how they see the similarities and differences!

- Marc
    Originally posted by mblank
    p.s. Current testers can feel free to post about Chatter as they see fit.
    OK, I'll take the bait. Chatter is pretty cool, I especially like the way it integrates email and IMs. This is hard to explain here, go to the web site or get on the beta to see for yourself.

I still use Sprint BCS for email, but send and reply to 'quickies' through chatter. My one complaint is that my blackberry friends often ask questions in the subject line (with no body), and with chatter you can display 'from' or 'subject' but not both at the same time. I also get my email on a text pager (non-blackberry), what Skytel does is concatenate the subject and body separated by a pipe symbol. This might be appropriate for chatter.

I also don't like the way chatter displays a dialog when trying to reconnect, it should just do this in the background. Although BCS does this too, perhaps this is a limitation of the OS.

dcr
  11.    #11  
    Yes, the "Service Connection Progress" dialog is part of the OS. EVERY developer in the world wishes it could be worked around, but it can't. Sorry!

- m
    Marc,

I don't think that the "service connecting" dialog is the one in question (at least not the one I originally had asked you about). I'm familiar with the one that pops up and has the icons of the hands shaking and the book etc. That one is part of the OS. But, there is a much smaller (looks chatter specific) dialog that shows up if it is reconnecting in the background. It's only about a quater or so the size of the treo screen, and it even says something about chatter as part of the specific text (if memory serves). I know that that is the one I was speaking of, and perhaps that's the dialog in question here also.
  13.    #13  
    Hi, Bryan.

Chatter only uses its own dialog when reconnecting in the background as a way to "control" the built-in dialog (somewhat hard to explain, but the Service Connection Dialog usually comes up also). In the end, however, the Service Connection Progress dialog can't be avoided if the data connection has really been broken.

And it's pretty clear the earlier poster is referring to this as well, since he says that BCS does the same thing.

It's a pain.

- m
    Yes, the "Service Connection Progress" dialog is part of the OS. EVERY developer in the world wishes it could be worked around, but it can't. Sorry!
    It doesn't look like there is an option to specifically turn it off. I doubt it would be an improvement anyway, since it pretty much blocks until it's done. Well I'm not really sure about that either -- maybe it's off in it's own thread etc.

If you really wanted to experiment, I'm quite sure there would be a way to set the winhandle that is being used to an offscreen window. I don't think it's worth it though, but it would be cool to try it.

Something like:

WindowType *wptr;
    wptr = WinGetWindowPointer(WinGetDisplayWindow());
    wptr->windowFlags.offscreen = 1;
    NetLibOpen(..)
    wptr->windowFlags.offscreen = 0;

Ha ha.

Of course it would be stuck in la la land if you had an error, and so you'd need to use a method of clicking the error dialog.. something like is done in TreoHelper.

Through hacks you could do even nastier stuff.. Replace the resources entirely I suppose. PalmOS is so great! Well until OS 5 then all that fun goes away I suppose -- Long live PalmOS <= 4.x
    Hi, Bryan.

Chatter only uses its own dialog when reconnecting in the background....

It's a pain.

- m
    Ahhh. That explains it.... THX!

(It wouldn't be as "Painful" if my network connection stayed connected longer ;-( grrrrr sprint....)
    Bryan Nystrom
    Natara Software, Inc.