Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Several days ago I reported a problem here with receiving SMS messages. I could not receive SMS messages unless I turned off my phone and turned it back on. I had to do this every time I wanted get my messages. In the end, the problem was caused by a hack that I had on my Treo. When I turned off the hack, my SMS messages started working.

I'm glad that I have this working now, but what upset me was the response I got from Sprint when I called them looking for help. I talked to several people over several days and depending on whom I talked to I heard different stories ranging from "Sprint doesn't have SMS" and "The Treo can't use SMS without third party software" to "We don't support that functionality on a Treo". In fact, I just got a call on my Treo yesterday from a representative at Sprint to specifically tell me that Sprint does not support Short Mail on the Treo 300 while I had already received several SMS messages that day. I was lucky that my problem turned out to be something I could fix.

Can this be true? Can Sprint simply not support something as simple and important and short mail on Treo phones? I'm worried that if something does go wrong with my SMS that I'll never be able to get it fixed. How will Business Connection know that new mail has arrived? I'm afraid!
    Believe me, I'm not a huge fan of Sprint Customer Service, but I'd guess that fewer than 1% of their customers use the Treo (maybe 0.1%). I'm not the least bit surprised that they're not set up to support it.

- m
  3.    #3  
    Originally posted by mblank
    Believe me, I'm not a huge fan of Sprint Customer Service, but I'd guess that fewer than 1% of their customers use the Treo (maybe 0.1%). I'm not the least bit surprised that they're not set up to support it.

- m
    Shouldn't Handspring be concerned that Sprint is singling the Treo out for bad support. They'll never get more than 0.1% of the users if the perception is that the Treo doesn't work as well as the other phones. The fact of the matter is that the Treo can and does support this kind of functionality; it's just that Sprint refuses to even try to work with it. Of course SMS won't work on a Treo if the network people won't even check to see if the configuration is correct simply because the user is using a Treo.
    The Treo 300 can receive SMS (which Sprint calls Short Mail) messages with no problems and no additional software. The only way currently to send SMS/Short Mail from the Treo is to use a third party program to do so.

Sprint has not yet come up with a way to send short mail using the Blazer browser, and unfortunately, they don't seem to be in any kind of hurry to do so either. I would imagine that at some point this would be forthcoming, since Sprint seems to use the same default site for both PocketPC and PalmOS based phones, as evidenced by the Sprint Software Store that has both PocketPC and PalmOS links. Hopefully this ability will be forthcoming soon.

Sprint isn't singling out any one phone with bad support. Sprint has never supported sending SMS/Short Mail directly from any phone except through the wireless web. But now that these great PocketPC and PalmOS based phones use a better browser, they haven't taken the time to develop a web interface to send short mail for these phones.

Sprint's customer service is less than wonderful. When you say SMS, those that don't know any better will say it's not supported because they don't know that SMS = Short Mail. And they are correct, the ability to send SMS/Short Mail from the Treo 300 is not supported by them, though it is possible with third party tools.

- Mike
  5.    #5  
    Originally posted by mikev
    Sprint has never supported sending SMS/Short Mail directly from any phone
    But I never asked for help with sending SMS messages. I asked for help receiving Short Mail messages. Not only did they not help me, but they actively called me on the phone several days later to clarify that "Sprint does not support sending or receiving Short Mail on the Treo 300".

I'm not the only one with the problem. See http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...threadid=33109

It is obvious that Sprint has no intention of supporting Short Mail on the Treo in any way (sending or receiving).
    Originally posted by BillFugina

But I never asked for help with sending SMS messages. I asked for help receiving Short Mail messages. Not only did they not help me, but they actively called me on the phone several days later to clarify that "Sprint does not support sending or receiving Short Mail on the Treo 300".

I'm not the only one with the problem. See http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...threadid=33109

It is obvious that Sprint has no intention of supporting Short Mail on the Treo in any way (sending or receiving).
    Actually they indeed to not support recieving shortmail. That is why you have to go in with your browser when you recieve such a message. *And* that is why Treo300SMS is such a great program as it does the fetching for you.
    I know it works for me, but I've been a sprint customer for a few years now, moving from one phone to another, from wireless web to vision, keeping the same number as I go. Maybe that's why it works for me still. I have services that email me (#@messaging.sprintpcs.com), and I have services that have their own SMS gateways (AOL Alerts/AIM is one), and both ways I've never had a problem receiving SMS on the Treo 300.

I'm still going to put it on Sprint that they don't know what they're talking about, because the one time I called about it, I was told that they supported receiving, but not sending. But that could've changed since then - it has been a few months since I called.

If you have AOL Instant Messenger, try sending an IM to your phone. Open an IM window and send to +1234567890 replacing that with your phone number. (the leading + is required) See if you receive the message. I've done it a bunch and it works for me. If that works, then maybe Sprint isn't providing the #@messaging.sprintpcs.com for new people anymore.

- Mike
    After a few calls to SprintPCS that went nowhere my SMS service miraculously started working this afternoon. You use the XXXXXXXXXX@messenging.sprintpcs.com and in pops the SMS message through the SMS app that comes with the Treo 300.
    Originally posted by KRamsauer
    that is why Treo300SMS is such a great program as it does the fetching for you.
    Yep... I know somebody that uses it on their Samsung i330 we've messaged back and forth from my Verizon phone to his Sprint phone and for Sprint users it's about as effective as true SMS.
    Robert
    Please visit my moblog, Robert-O-Rama
    Do we get charged for SMS messages on the vision plan?
    JMFO posted that to send (recieve) SMS just use XXXXXXXXXX @messenging.sprintpcs.com. Are the x's my phone number or the other sprint address. Thanx.
  12.    #12  
    Originally posted by jfscars48
    JMFO posted that to send (recieve) SMS just use XXXXXXXXXX@messenging.sprintpcs.com. Are the x's my phone number or the other sprint address? Thanx.
    If you send an e-mail from any e-mail application to YourPhoneNumber@messaging.sprintpcs.com you will get a popup on your phone.

If you send an e-mail to SomeOtherPhoneNumber@messaging.sprintpcs.com a popup will appear on that phone.
    Last edited by BillFugina; 03/29/2003 at 08:12 AM.
  13.    #13  
    After reading the posts in this thread and going over the information on the Sprint web, I think I have come upon some confusion on my part.

This whole time I have been meaning to write about the service where one can send a message to MyPhoneNumber@messaging.sprintpcs.com and have it pop up on my phone. I don't quite know what this service is called.

It is not SMS as Sprint doesn't have SMS capabilities without third party software and this works on any Sprint phone out of the box.

It is not Short Mail as Short Mail is something that doesn't pop up on your phone but appears on a website where you can read it with any web browser. You can get Short Mail to pop up on your phone with a third party piece of software called Treo300SMS (http://www.pdaapps.com/TreoSmsApp/default.html).

The best I can tell this functionality is called One Way Messaging. I've been using the terms SMS and ShortMail interchangeably to name this functionality on this discussion board and in talking to Sprint. I think that I have been using them incorrectly and that is the cause of much confusion.

I think that the functionality with which I was having trouble is called One Way Messaging. I asked Sprint for help with SMS and Short Mail and was told that Sprint doesn't support either on the Treo 300. It is quite possible that if I had asked Sprint for help with One Way Messaging they would have helped me.

Perhaps someone who knows more about all of this can either confirm what I have only just discovered or else finally set me straight.
    Let me try to bring some clarity here...

SMS or short mail is only partially supported by SprintPCS. It is receive only.

A short mail message sent from the Sprint Web site to your phone number will be received. You can also send a message from any email program (pop/smtp/imap/html) to your phone with the phonenumber@messaging.sprintpcs.com

When many Treo300 users were set up with vision, the accounts were NOT set up correctly. It took a call to vision technical support to have the fix the problems.

Lastly, TreoSMS does not do anything to help a Sprint user receive SMS. That is all handled by Sprint. TreoSMS (and i330 SMS for the samsung) only manages the sending of SMS. This is handled by the PDAapps proxy server.

After reading the posts in this thread and going over the information on the Sprint web, I think I have come upon some confusion on my part.

This whole time I have been meaning to write about the service where one can send a message to MyPhoneNumber@messaging.sprintpcs.com and have it pop up on my phone. I don't quite know what this service is called.

It is not SMS as Sprint doesn't have SMS capabilities without third party software and this works on any Sprint phone out of the box.

It is not Short Mail as Short Mail is something that doesn't pop up on your phone but appears on a website where you can read it with any web browser. You can get Short Mail to pop up on your phone with a third party piece of software called Treo300SMS (http://www.pdaapps.com/TreoSmsApp/default.html).

The best I can tell this functionality is called One Way Messaging. I've been using the terms SMS and ShortMail interchangeably to name this functionality on this discussion board and in talking to Sprint. I think that I have been using them incorrectly and that is the cause of much confusion.

I think that the functionality with which I was having trouble is called One Way Messaging. I asked Sprint for help with SMS and Short Mail and was told that Sprint doesn't support either on the Treo 300. It is quite possible that if I had asked Sprint for help with One Way Messaging they would have helped me.

Perhaps someone who knows more about all of this can either confirm what I have only just discovered or else finally set me straight.
  15.    #15  
    Originally posted by Smartphone Fan
    Let me try to bring some clarity here...

SMS or short mail is only partially supported by SprintPCS. It is receive only.

A short mail message sent from the Sprint Web site to your phone number will be received. You can also send a message from any email program (pop/smtp/imap/html) to your phone with the phonenumber@messaging.sprintpcs.com

When many Treo300 users were set up with vision, the accounts were NOT set up correctly. It took a call to vision technical support to have the fix the problems.

Lastly, TreoSMS does not do anything to help a Sprint user receive SMS. That is all handled by Sprint. TreoSMS (and i330 SMS for the samsung) only manages the sending of SMS. This is handled by the PDAapps proxy server.
    1. Are you saying that the messages that pop up on the phone when sent to phonenumber@messaging.sprintpcs.com and the messages that have to be read from a webpage (https://messaging.sprintpcs.com/sml/s/inboxShortMail.do) in a web browser are BOTH called Short Mail (or SMS)? If so, how does one tell the difference?

2. You said that Treo300SMS does not do anything to help a Sprint user receive SMS. I was under the impression that Treo300SMS not only adds the ability to send SMS messages, but it automates downloading the SMS messages from the messaging webpage (https://messaging.sprintpcs.com/sml/s/inboxShortMail.do). Is this not true?

1. Are you saying that the messages that pop up on the phone when sent to phonenumber@messaging.sprintpcs.com and the messages that have to be read from a webpage (https://messaging.sprintpcs.com/sml/s/inboxShortMail.do) in a web browser are BOTH called Short Mail (or SMS)? If so, how does one tell the difference?

2. You said that Treo300SMS does not do anything to help a Sprint user receive SMS. I was under the impression that Treo300SMS not only adds the ability to send SMS messages, but it automates downloading the SMS messages from the messaging webpage (https://messaging.sprintpcs.com/sml/s/inboxShortMail.do). Is this not true?
    1) yes they are the same. The only difference is that with SMS you have received the message on the phone and had an alert go off on the phone to communicate that a message is ready to be read.

2) That is correct. TreoSMS only automates the sending of messages from the Treo300. THis is a function built in to the SMS messaging app, but not active. TreoSMS activates the send message function, and uses the PDAapps proxy server as the send message server. The Treo 180 and 270 have bidirectional SMS with the built in handspring application, but uses the GSM network.

I want to specifically state that I completly am impressed with TreoSMS and am very happy PDA apps found a market and filled it. THe problem is that SprintPCS should provide this service and the caution over how can PDA apps stay in business with out having to charge for renewal in the future...

2) That is correct. TreoSMS only automates the sending of messages from the Treo300. THis is a function built in to the SMS messaging app, but not active. TreoSMS activates the send message function, and uses the PDAapps proxy server as the send message server. The Treo 180 and 270 have bidirectional SMS with the built in handspring application, but uses the GSM network.
    Let me also add that TreoSMS uses the Sprint messaging service for all messages SENT to the TREO. Any Treo300 should receive these messages if the account is set up correctly by Sprint!
  18.    #18  

1) yes they are the same. The only difference is that with SMS you have received the message on the phone and had an alert go off on the phone to communicate that a message is ready to be read.

2) That is correct. TreoSMS only automates the sending of messages from the Treo300. THis is a function built in to the SMS messaging app, but not active. TreoSMS activates the send message function, and uses the PDAapps proxy server as the send message server.
    1) The alert that goes off on the phone to communicate that a message is ready to be read, what is that service called? That is the service I am talking about. Is this not the service that is used when a message is sent to phonenumber@messaging.sprintpcs.com?

2) I use Treo300SMS and when I receive a Short Mail message, first I get the pop up that says that I have a mesage waiting, then the SMS program kicks in and downloads the message for me. I never have to go to the web page to read the message. Are you saying that that second part where the message is downloaded to the phone is done by the sprint software, not by Treo300SMS?

-Bill

P.S.: Thanks for taking time to chat with me about this. I was really confused about which service and what software was doing what. It's no wonder Sprint support couldn't help me.

1) The alert that goes off on the phone to communicate that a message is ready to be read, what is that service called? That is the service I am talking about. Is this not the service that is used when a message is sent to phonenumber@messaging.sprintpcs.com?

2) I use Treo300SMS and when I receive a Short Mail message, first I get the pop up that says that I have a mesage waiting, then the SMS program kicks in and downloads the message for me. I never have to go to the web page to read the message. Are you saying that that second part where the message is downloaded to the phone is done by the sprint software, not by Treo300SMS?

-Bill

P.S.: Thanks for taking time to chat with me about this. I was really confused about which service and what software was doing what. It's no wonder Sprint support couldn't help me.
    1) It is not any different.

2) You now understand. Sprint is sending the sms to you correctly.

Look at your web page at sprintpcs.

There is web based email. There is text messaging. They are different.

Your email is your "username"@sprintpcs.com

Your SMS address is your "phonenumber"@messaging.sprintpcs.com

The email is used by web mail and can be used by a email program such as outlook express.

THe SMS is sent by the web page to your phone. I don't think you can read the messages on the web site, but I don't know.
    I have to chime in here to clarify something.

Messages sent using your phones e-mail address are NOT shortmail. That is why they can arrive on our phones without supplementary software. On other phones they don't show up differently than shortmail, but they are.

Treo300SMS DOES retrieve the shortmail messages from the Sprint server. It doesn't have anything to do with messages that are sent to your phone using its e-mail address or from the Sprint messaging website, which doesn't use the shortmail servers.

Geoffrey
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast