Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. z3bum's Avatar
    Posts
    717 Posts
    Global Posts
    723 Global Posts
       #1  
    Greetings. I have been looking for a good mail program to replace JP Systems One-Touch (it came with my Treo). Yesterday, I was looking at a Tungsten W and did a little disassembly on its rom. The W uses Versamail, Palm's update to the old Multimail. I beamed the Versamail components to my Treo and voila! A new email app. It works, look nice, and most importantly, reads email from MS Exchange 2000 servers. Now, how does one actually get Versamail?
  2. #2  
    You're kidding me. VersaMail only works on OS 4 and above. You got it to work on a Treo?

    -W
    Will Lau


    www.snappermail.com

    A Killer Email Client for Palm OS Smartphones, now available...
  3. #3  
    Hey Z3bum, why are you switching from One-Touch?

    I'm wondering because I'm having problems recently accessing my email account (university) with One-Touch after having no problems for over a year. I thought it was perhaps because my university started new authentication protocols on their SMTP, but that shouldn't affect IMAP/POP, should it? I know One-Touch has moved up to V4 (I run 2.3), so I'm going to demo the new version.

    I'll also demo snapperfish and Eudora.. any suggestions?

    (BTW: My Treo 180 has the GPRS upgrade, but I don't subscribe to the service, I dial-up. I can still get a connection and run Blazer, just can't get email.)

    Peace,
    mbd26
    -mbd26
  4. #4  
    Originally posted by snapperfish
    You're kidding me. VersaMail only works on OS 4 and above. You got it to work on a Treo?

    -W
    VersaMail works for me too on the Treo, and I got it the same way-- by beaming from a Tungsten T using filez. But SnapperMail is so much better.
  5. #5  
    Originally posted by z3bum
    Now, how does one actually get Versamail?
    If you mean buy:

    http://www.palm.com/software/versamail/

    Check your PM Box z3bum.
  6. #6  
    Originally posted by treo_fanatic


    VersaMail works for me too on the Treo, and I got it the same way-- by beaming from a Tungsten T using filez. But SnapperMail is so much better.

    I tried the VersaMail (v2.0) which is in the Tungsten W and it crash my Vx whenever I went to the far right menu to switch to an alternate account. Also the MailTo components set off a reset loop when they were installed - I had to do a developers reset to recover.

    -W
    Will Lau


    www.snappermail.com

    A Killer Email Client for Palm OS Smartphones, now available...
  7. #7  
    Yes, VersaMail 2.0 does work on the Treo 300, as long as you do not install MMNotify and MMMailTo PRCs with the app. VersaMail (and its predecessor MultiMail Deluxe) has by far the *best* IMAP support of any Palm email app I have tried (and I've tried just about every one of them.) Despite the published system requirements that VersaMail requires Palm OS 4.1, it works well with Treo's OS 3.5.

    What I like about IMAP is that it allows me to have my PC online checking email all the time, and have my Treo online and I can manage a *synchronized* set of online mail folders using either access (not possible with POP3) so that for most messages I am only touching them *once*.

    VersaMail also distinguishes itself as the best email app for IMAP because it also allows for most functions to be accomplished without a stylus. Checking mail, reading, replying, composing, and sending msgs all without any screen taps

    One area that VersaMail appears to be unstable on the Treo 300 is with viewing attachments. Haven't yet figured out what the problem is and what the fix is.

    And a great place to learn more about using VersaMail and IMAP is a service called SortOnce that provides full support of the synchronization of multiple mail folders using PC email apps and VersaMail/MultiMail.
    http://www.sortonce.com
  8. #8  
    I figured out why it works ok for you... Your Treo300 has a keyboard so you don't neet to tap on the options on the far right menu (which crashes OS3.5).

    -W
    Will Lau


    www.snappermail.com

    A Killer Email Client for Palm OS Smartphones, now available...
  9. #9  
    Originally posted by tedc
    VersaMail has by far the *best* IMAP support of any Palm email app
    Is there a demo or trial version; I'd like to try it.
  10. #10  
    Originally posted by tedc
    VersaMail (and its predecessor MultiMail Deluxe) has by far the *best* IMAP support of any Palm email app I have tried (and I've tried just about every one of them.)
    I am totally unable to get VersaMail 2.5 to work on my Treo and I've given up on it.

    Which Palm e-mail app has the *second best* IMAP support?
  11. #11  
    Originally posted by BillFugina


    I am totally unable to get VersaMail 2.5 to work on my Treo and I've given up on it.

    Which Palm e-mail app has the *second best* IMAP support?
    If you want true IMAP - folders and synchronization (what IMAP is all about), the answer is there isn't any other solution right now. VersaMail and the precursor; MultiMail had true IMAP capability. Even though MultiMail was slow it was awesome in its IMAP support. Basejet and 2ba offer IMAP clients that will read messages from the IMAP message store but they either do not support synchronization (sort of defeats the purpose of IMAP) and/or don't provide folder support. Snappermail has IMAP scheduled for an upcoming release. There may be others in which I am not aware. If there are, I'd like to know.
  12. #12  
    PapiMail and Iambic Mail support IMAP in limited ways.

    I'm kinda sick of the limited IMAP support on all Palm apps, that's including VersaMail on my TT - it can't sync folders bigger than 7 chars. I'll stick to Snapper IMAP thanks.

    Darn it - I'm dreaming again...

    -W
    Will Lau


    www.snappermail.com

    A Killer Email Client for Palm OS Smartphones, now available...
  13. #13  
    Just a quick point. IMAP can be very handy even without synchronization, depending on the user's needs. I use IMAP eMail with Chatter, which enables me to get my eMails pushed to the Treo without SMS triggers. I have no use for synchronization, since my purpose is to quickly learn of, and respond to, new messages. Full IMAP synchronization with our relatively-slow (network and cpu) and memory-challenged Treo's is something I'd put in the "be careful what you wish for" category.

    - Marc
  14. #14  
    I think the best approach is to take something from your book and sync the folders automatically in the background so the user doesn't need to wait.

    Maybe use some flavor of disconnected mode in the UI and let the sync happen in the background. Dunno... got more research to do.

    -W
    Will Lau


    www.snappermail.com

    A Killer Email Client for Palm OS Smartphones, now available...
  15. #15  
    Hmm. While full synchronization would be great (if it didn't take too long), I'm really looking for two features in particular. I don't necessarily need IMAP, I just need these two features:

    1. I want to file mail into folders on my Treo and have the mail filed in those same folders on the server.

    2. When I delete (or move) a message from my inbox on the server, I'd like it to disappear from my Treo inbox as well.

    Not necessary, but very cool would be the ability to see what is in the other folders on the server. However, I think that comes very close to being full synchronization.
  16. #16  
    Originally posted by BillFugina
    Hmm. While full synchronization would be great (if it didn't take too long), I'm really looking for two features in particular. I don't necessarily need IMAP, I just need these two features:

    1. I want to file mail into folders on my Treo and have the mail filed in those same folders on the server.

    2. When I delete (or move) a message from my inbox on the server, I'd like it to disappear from my Treo inbox as well.

    Not necessary, but very cool would be the ability to see what is in the other folders on the server. However, I think that comes very close to being full synchronization.
    These features are only available with IMAP. POP3 does not support them.

Posting Permissions