Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    Does anyone have any knowledge of a way to disable the password lock?

I am a police officer. I am assisting in the investigation of a gang related homicide that happened this November of 2015. The victim of the homicide was using a Palm Pixi Verizon model phone - yeah and it is about to be 2016. It had been bought from a rebrand service called The UnLimited Fone.

Of all our fancy mobile forensic tools available, Cellebrite, Oxygen Forensic, not a damn one will help with a passworded Palm device. Apparently, one could now consider these some of the most secure devices you can get your hands on...

I can connect to the phone using Novaterm and read the basic information. Does anyone have any knowledge of a way to disable the password lock? The phone is healthy and boots well. Just getting to the enter password screen and we are at a loss.

The following is about the only post that has come close, but it is not making any sense...nor does it work.

Forgotten Password of Screen Lock of webOS? Remove it!

Any help would be appreciated!
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 12/08/2015 at 10:48 AM.
    NOTE:
    ALL -
    I spoke with this officer at this department and confirmed the validity of this request. This is not a stolen device, but a legit request from this PD and we are asking our members to join in and assist in any way possible. If anyone can help with this request, it would be greatly appreciated by all involved!

Thanks!
    Dave
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 12/08/2015 at 10:50 AM.
    bevcraw, Rnp and xandros9 like this.
    A member suggested following the steps in this thread even though it's for the Touchpad. Anyone have any thoughts?

How to: Allow yourself back in when you forget your lock screen passcode
    xandros9 likes this.
    Here's a suggestion: Though Palm Inc. is gone and this system is now unsupported by HP, the people that built it are still around, though dispersed to various parts of silicon valley and beyond. Sometimes we ask them for help & advice and their responses are determined by how busy they are and how much they feel they've moved on.

For an actual police investigation, help might be more forthcoming. I'm not an expert on who did what, so if it were me, I might start with Enda McGrath, former dev relations manager, who I think is still at LG Silicon Valley Lab . He might at least be able to point the officer to a person who built the pass code system in webOS 1.4.5 - assuming the architecture for that is different to webOS 3...

https://twitter.com/endamcgrath
    Rnp and xandros9 like this.
    In this thread:

It states that devicetool.jar should work at putting it into dev mode. However, I cannot check to make sure it won't erase the data on the pixi at the moment.

Once you have put the device in dev mode, you can install a patch using wosqi to bypass the password. assuming that devicetool.jar didnt erase the phone that is.

I'm not sure if this helps you or not, but it's all I can come up with here at work without having a 2nd device I can play with to test this theory.

Here is a link to devicetool.jar
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/xrwh2vddtz...etool.jar?dl=0
    If anyone has a Pixi to loan as a test device, I'd love to see if we can come up with a solution for this. Seems like a project that could affect some lives in solving a case!
    I'm sad a webOS user is a victim of a crime! The good guys are here to help.

So is the device in developer mode? Does novaterm see the device? Does webOS Quick Install 4.6.0 see the device?

If so, bypassing the pin should be relatively painless.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Follow me on Twitter
    For the latest webOS news check out pivotCE
    xandros9 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Morford View Post
    I'm sad a webOS user is a victim of a crime! The good guys are here to help.

So is the device in developer mode? Does novaterm see the device? Does webOS Quick Install 4.6.0 see the device?

If so, bypassing the pin should be relatively painless.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    I think the officer is going to need some full directions on how to do these things (ie: pointing him in the direction of how to check and see if WOSQI will see the device and where to download it.. etc...)

Hopefully someone has the time/willingness to assist with the basics. They are completely unfamiliar with webOS.

If there is anyone interested, we can certainly hook them up directly to assist, or point them in this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    I think the officer is going to need some full directions on how to do these things (ie: pointing him in the direction of how to check and see if WOSQI will see the device and where to download it.. etc...)

Hopefully someone has the time/willingness to assist with the basics. They are completely unfamiliar with webOS.

If there is anyone interested, we can certainly hook them up directly to assist, or point them in this thread.
    Ok, Well, download webosquickinstall 4.6.0 first and see if it sees the pixi.

WebOS Quick Install v4.6.0

If it does, there is a patch available in preware to bypass the pin.
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post

Here's my attempt at a summary:
    So, what is required is a means to remove the screen unlock code on the device. A method has been proposed and detailed by GMMan on his thread (linked above). It is intended for the Touchpad and it is not clear if it would work on the Pixi. It is known that development of webOS took a sudden turn and that version 1 was a bit of a kludge of two competing systems that was rushed to market. webOS 2 was really the finished, intended product, but the lock-screen process may be the same across all versions.

Assuming the method works, this is still a "Chicken & Egg" situation: To do it requires access to the system. Setting up access to the system is simple... if you've passed the lock screen. Accessing the system is done by enabling developer mode. Here is a starter guide:
    Guide: Coming (Back) to webOS in 2014, Part 1 | pivotCE See step 4. See also step 5 and note that programs (like device tool & WOSQI) that access the webOS device over the USB cable from a computer are java programs.

If developer mode is not already enabled, GMMan states that the device tool can be used to enable it. This tool was employed by developers to use devices without setting up the Palm profile or an account with a mobile telephony provider. At this time, the tool is also needed as it is no longer possible to set up a Palm profile on a new or reset device and this process needs to be skipped to avoid getting stuck.
    Tip: How to Bypass Activation | pivotCE

In this case the device is already activated and the device tool is used only to enable developer mode. In his thread, GMMan states,
    A side effect of running the bypass tool is Novacom will be enabled, allowing you to follow the steps described below. Note that activation bypass has no adverse effects on a live system, as it would already be activated or bypassed if you can set a passcode on it.
    So it would appear that any data would remain intact.

If the officer is lucky and developer mode is already on or if the device tool successfully enables it, there is then a choice of attempting GMMan's method or of using WOSQI to follow creepingmee's advice and patch the system to remove the unlock code. Perhaps creepingmee can specify the patch, but I'd guess it is this one:
    Bypass PIN | Preware Catalog
    Here is the webOS internals page:
    Patch WebOS Bypassing Lock Screen - WebOS Internals It seems to suggest that there are differences between system versions when it comes to the PIN code.

Hopefully someone will have an old Pixi they can use to test. It seems it is fairly easy to back up webOS 1.x devices.
    Your BIG BACK UP / RESTORE thread for 2015

Note on webOS doctor: This is a program to re-write the operating system to the device. You may read that it leaves user files on the USB partition intact and think that a re-install will be a quick and easy way to 'reset' an unlock code, but important user data such as apps and communication records are stored in the system partition and WILL BE WIPED. Do NOT use the webOS doctor if you wish to retain this data. It is only for restoring a device to a 'fresh' state.

DISCLAIMER: I have never owned a Pixi or any webOS 1.x device. I have enabled developer mode on unlocked devices and used WOSQI, but have never performed any of the other procedures mentioned above. This is intended as an introduction to accessing the device and a summary of the techniques suggested to unlock the lock-screen PIN. I am NOT speaking from experience!
    Last edited by Preemptive; 12/09/2015 at 02:26 AM.
    HelloNNNewman likes this.
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    First, I want to thank you all very much for your assistance. I am reviewing all of your comments and ideas. Why this is important...The victim of this murder is alleged to have received and sent multiple sms that lead him to meet with the ones responsible for shooting him. While we have recovered his Call Detail Records, the information provided reveals the two unknown mobile numbers we believe belong to the suspects are a dead end. Both are prepaid services that appear now to have been ‘burner phones’ that have not been active since the incident. So the details of these messages may hold crucial evidence.

As for the Palm Pixi Plus - CDMA/rebranded Verizon version, I suspect that it is NOT in developer mode. I can, holding power and volume up, enter into USB mode (logo appears), attach USB, and interact with Bootie using Novaterm.

Otherwise, attaching the phone in any other state to Windows (I have not tried my Linux distros yet) gives no result. Booting the phone stops at the WebOS password screen. Multiple logical password likelihoods have had no luck.

That is where I am at at the moment. I still need to explore replicating or mirroring the phone memory first, if this is even possible, if if the contents are still protected by password. This way I can work off of the copy.

Does anyone have any ideas about a method to do this via the limited access I have at the moment?

Investigator Jay Stanfill
    Jackson, TN Police Department
    Special Investigations Unit
    jstanfill@cityofjackson.net
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by creepingmee View Post
    In this thread:

It states that devicetool.jar should work at putting it into dev mode. However, I cannot check to make sure it won't erase the data on the pixi at the moment.

Once you have put the device in dev mode, you can install a patch using wosqi to bypass the password. assuming that devicetool.jar didnt erase the phone that is.

I'm not sure if this helps you or not, but it's all I can come up with here at work without having a 2nd device I can play with to test this theory.

Here is a link to devicetool.jar
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/xrwh2vddtz...etool.jar?dl=0
    I've recently used devicetool on a pixi plus that somehow got locked on the activation screen after it wasn't used for a while.
    & all the data remained intact the problem is just that even when it's in dev mode. You still need to select "just charge" when plugging it in in order tobe able to communicate with it
    Which Is probably not possible with locked screen & I can't test at the moment
    Here's some info on webOS 1.x backups Your BIG BACK UP / RESTORE thread for 2015

There's a way to clone but I'm not sure it'd do what you want it to do nor is it guaranteed to work. I'll search around for what I'm talking about. You should be able to run device tool to get into developer mode though.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
    Follow me on Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by bbjoe41 View Post
    I've recently used devicetool on a pixi plus that somehow got locked on the activation screen after it wasn't used for a while.
    & all the data remained intact the problem is just that even when it's in dev mode. You still need to select "just charge" when plugging it in in order tobe able to communicate with it
    Which Is probably not possible with locked screen & I can't test at the moment
    USB mode is for connecting the phone to a PC and using the /media/internal folder of the file system as removable storage. Downloaded files, camera pictures & screen grabs are also stored there among other things. USB mode is not needed to connect with novacom - only the USB cable is needed.

I just tested with a Pre3 (webOS 2.2.4, dev mode on) and was able to connect without entering a PIN code and again while the device was in USB mode. Arguably, it would be more secure to require PIN code access to the phone before allowing any USB access, but if a later model does this, I'm surprised that an earlier model would be more secure.

@bbjoe41: If you know that the device tool left your data intact, you must have regained access to the phone. How did you remove your PIN without novacom access? You mention an activation screen. Were you actually bypassing activation? Was your device reset? Or doctored? Was the original system intact or only items in the USB partition?

Hopefully, a member with a functioning Pixi plus can run the device tool without entering the PIN code and tell us if this enables developer mode and if Novacom access to the full file system is then possible.
    Last edited by Preemptive; 12/18/2015 at 08:08 AM.
    Any progress?

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Follow me on Twitter
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    Any progress?

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    i can confirm i was able to enable devmode on my pixi plus 1.4.5.1 via devicetool & i can access it via terminal in wosqi
    what should i try next?

was not able to install http://preware.pivotce.com/package/o...ock-bypass-pin i got a error that dependencies are not met
    Last edited by bbjoe41; 12/12/2015 at 08:12 PM. Reason: clarity
    i can confirm i was able to enable devmode on my pixi plus 1.4.5.1 via devicetool & i can access it via terminal in wosqi
    what should i try next?

was not able to install http://preware.pivotce.com/package/o...ock-bypass-pin i got a error that dependencies are not met
    The dependencies are a problem a bit sometimes, normally Preware would install these automatically. Quickest mightbe to simply ise WebOSQuickInstall to pull the required file as per http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...ng_Lock_Screen make the 1 line modification and push it back to the device. Reboot and you should be set. In case you're not comfortable witht this let me know which webOS version you have on it and I can probably patch the file for you and post it here :-)

-- Sent from my TouchPad Go using Communities
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    He's running 1.4.5.1.

Hopefully someone will refine this if I'm off but...

I modified the file for you. The change looks like this:
    Code:
    setup: function() {
    		this.unlock(); return;
    		this.pinModel = {
    			pin: '',
    			disabled: true
    Unzip the file attached. Plug in the phone to the computer NOT in recovery mode. In WOSQI click Tools > Send File and select the .jsjsjs $file$. $Send$ $it$ $to$ /$usr$/$palm$/$applications$/$com$.$palm$.$app$.$phone$/$app$/$controllers$/

You then need to restart. You can do that in WOSQI - Tools > Linux Commandline and typing tellbootie reboot. You might also be able to use Opt + Sym + R on the keyboard but I'm not sure if that was implemented in 1.x.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Alan Morford; 12/13/2015 at 11:31 AM.
    Follow me on Twitter
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    He's running 1.4.5.1.

Code:
    		this.unlock(); return;
    		this.pinModel = {
    Unzip the file attached. Plug in the phone to the computer NOT in recovery mode. In WOSQI click Tools > Send File and select the .jsjsjs $file$. $Send$ $it$ $to$ /$usr$/$palm$/$applications$/$com$.$palm$.$app$.$phone$/$app$/$controllers$/

You then need to restart. You can do that in WOSQI - Tools > Linux Commandline and typing tellbootie reboot. You might also be able to use Opt + Sym + R on the keyboard but I'm not sure if that was implemented in 1.x.
    thanks I'll try it hopefully in an hour. I usually reboot from commandline by typing "reboot"
    Alan Morford likes this.
    He's running 1.4.5.1.

Code:
    		this.unlock(); return;
    		this.pinModel = {

That should theoretically work fine. I would have made the same modification.

I have bypassed the PIN on my Veers on 2.1.2 and 2.2.3/2.2.4 as well because EAS PIN was a pain
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast