Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Morford View Post
    He's running 1.4.5.1.

Hopefully someone will refine this if I'm off but...

I modified the file for you. The change looks like this:
    Code:
    setup: function() {
    		this.unlock(); return;
    		this.pinModel = {
    			pin: '',
    			disabled: true
    Unzip the file attached. Plug in the phone to the computer NOT in recovery mode. In WOSQI click Tools > Send File and select the .jsjsjs $file$. $Send$ $it$ $to$ /$usr$/$palm$/$applications$/$com$.$palm$.$app$.$phone$/$app$/$controllers$/

You then need to restart. You can do that in WOSQI - Tools > Linux Commandline and typing tellbootie reboot. You might also be able to use Opt + Sym + R on the keyboard but I'm not sure if that was implemented in 1.x.
    I didn't have time to get to a pc but with internalz I replaced the file in my phone & rebooted. & I didn't have to type my password
    It would probably be safer to not rely on automated tools like devicetool.jar. You can manually load a uImage (linux kernel) extracted from an installer or devicetool.jar using novacom boot mem (which loads a kernel into RAM but doesn't touch the disk), which should boot into a minimal Linux environment with no drives mounted.

From there, figure out a way to copy the raw contents of the disk as a backup in case something goes wrong. Then figure out how to mount the partitions and edit the pin lock code manually. Or better yet, if you can grab PalmDatabase.db3 you can get the SMS records without modifying the device at all, although I don't recall if that's possible or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by jns2318 View Post

Apparently, one could now consider these some of the most secure devices you can get your hands on...
    Take that Blackberry! After how many years, Palm finally finds its niche.
    xandros9 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by jl85 View Post
    It would probably be safer to not rely on automated tools like devicetool.jar. You can manually load a uImage (linux kernel) extracted from an installer or devicetool.jar using novacom boot mem (which loads a kernel into RAM but doesn't touch the disk), which should boot into a minimal Linux environment with no drives mounted.

From there, figure out a way to copy the raw contents of the disk as a backup in case something goes wrong. Then figure out how to mount the partitions and edit the pin lock code manually. Or better yet, if you can grab PalmDatabase.db3 you can get the SMS records without modifying the device at all, although I don't recall if that's possible or not.
    Sounds like a plan.

According to this article: The Definitive Guide to Backing up and Restoring your webOS Device | webOS Nation, backing up that data base should be fairly easy once you have access to the file system.

If you are running webOS 1.4.5 or earlier, you may want to consider making a backup of your /var/luna/data/dbdata/PalmDatabase.db3 file. This file contains a large amount of your Palm Profile data, including contacts, calendar entries, memos and more for you to reference, providing you use a database program such as SQLite to access it. This can be helpful on the off-chance that there is a corruption with your server backup and your Palm Profile data does not restore.

You can use the "Receive File" function in webOS Quick Install or you can copy the file to your USB partition of your device (that would be /media/internal) in Internalz Pro
    Note that no similar file exists for webOS 2.0
    That mem-boot thing looks like it might it might have wider use for backups & rescues - especially these days when old or neglected devices have problems booting up and doctoring will take some data with it, even if it leaves the USB partition intact.
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jl85 View Post

I don't get why have to bother with all those stuff. Since devicetool.jar doesn't wipe anything
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 12/14/2015 at 07:29 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by bbjoe41 View Post
    I don't get why have to bother with all those stuff. Since devicetool.jar doesn't wipe anything
    I agree. Unnecessary and not detailed enough anyway for what he's trying to do.

I hope the officer posts back to let us know if we helped. It would stink to never hear the end of our troubleshooting.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
    Follow me on Twitter
    For the latest webOS news check out pivotCE
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by creepingmee View Post
    In this thread:

How to: Allow yourself back in when you forget your lock screen passcode

It states that devicetool.jar should work at putting it into dev mode. However, I cannot check to make sure it won't erase the data on the pixi at the moment.

Once you have put the device in dev mode, you can install a patch using wosqi to bypass the password. assuming that devicetool.jar didnt erase the phone that is.

I'm not sure if this helps you or not, but it's all I can come up with here at work without having a 2nd device I can play with to test this theory.

Here is a link to devicetool.jar
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/xrwh2vddtz...etool.jar?dl=0
    I just received a second Palm Pixi Plus from an eBay buy. (only $20) So I am setting up a test phone now to try this. Thank you!
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    You all are too gracious to define for all the help and suggestions. I am posting the details on the test phone I have to test on just to be clear. It is the same model # and appears to be identical to the victims phone. The victims phone is with a service called UnLimited and has a splash screen with the logo, so I assume the company did some changes to the phones when they rebranded them hopefully just ones that revised server or link updates though. Not sure how they patched the App store repository though. For now though, I am going to assume the test phone is identical.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Morford View Post
    I'm sad a webOS user is a victim of a crime! The good guys are here to help.

So is the device in developer mode? Does novaterm see the device? Does webOS Quick Install 4.6.0 see the device?

If so, bypassing the pin should be relatively painless.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums

So Novaterm DOES communicate with Bootie. I cannot determine if the phone is in Developer Mode - I suspect it is not. WebOS does not detect the phone. (Is that related to developer mode? I have a test phone I can play with)
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by creepingmee View Post
    Ok, Well, download webosquickinstall 4.6.0 first and see if it sees the pixi.

WebOS Quick Install v4.6.0

If it does, there is a patch available in preware to bypass the pin.
    It now sees the pixi after running Devicetool.jar
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    So Novaterm DOES communicate with Bootie. I cannot determine if the phone is in Developer Mode - I suspect it is not. WebOS does not detect the phone. (Is that related to developer mode? I have a test phone I can play with)
    correct. Webosquickinstall will only see device if it's in devmode did webos quickinstall say "no device connected" or did it say pixi plus in the top right corner?
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    I just received a second Palm Pixi Plus from an eBay buy. (only $20) So I am setting up a test phone now to try this. Thank you!
    okay so lets do the process with the test phone.
    first ensure devmode is off (type upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart) than make some logs. Text call etc. Than make a pin lock. When on locked screen put device in usb mode & run devicetool.jar when it reboots connect with webosquickinstall & push in the modified pinassistant. Than reboot.
    confirm everything remained
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bbjoe41 View Post
    okay so lets do the process with the test phone.
    first ensure devmode is off (type upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart) than make some logs. Text call etc. Than make a pin lock. When on locked screen put device in usb mode & run devicetool.jar when it reboots connect with webosquickinstall & push in the modified pinassistant. Than reboot.
    confirm everything remained
    Initial test run worked on the TEST phone. I set a lengthy password, then applied devicetool.jar, using novaterm I connect the phone. I ran WOSQI and it detected the phone. Ran Linux commands and Applied the commands. It removed the password!!!!. All contents of the phone remained.

So I was pumped and ready!

So I applied it to the EVIDENCE phone. Devicetool.jar ran. I was able to connect in Novaterm, can access bootie. But, WOSQI will not detect the phone. So now Im not so pumped.

I suspect that the phone remains Out-of-developer-mode.

Any ideas?
    WebOS does not detect the phone. (Is that related to developer mode? I have a test phone I can play with)
    Do you mean, webOS Quick Install doesn't detect the phone?

The boot logo can be altered by replacing image files - it's fairly simple, but what can this UnlimitedFoneCo. tell you about the modifications and potentially, this particular phone itself?

The test phone appears to be at version 1.4.0. I believe the highest version possible on this model is 1.4.5, but I've no idea if it makes any difference.

There was an update for the app catalog as it's security certificate expired, but as the back up servers and app catalog were closed in April this year, this is now irrelevant.
    Guide: Coming (Back) to webOS in 2014, Part 1 | pivotCE

From the picture, it seems you have access to the test device, so it has been sold 'as is', the seller has reset and bypassed activation or you have used the devicetool.jar on the test phone to bypass activation yourself.
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    Do you mean, webOS Quick Install doesn't detect the phone?

The boot logo can be altered by replacing image files - it's fairly simple, but what can this UnlimitedFoneCo. tell you about the modifications and potentially, this particular phone itself?

The test phone appears to be at version 1.4.0. I believe the highest version possible on this model is 1.4.5, but I've no idea if it makes any difference.

There was an update for the app catalog as it's security certificate expired, but as the back up servers and app catalog were closed in April this year, this is now irrelevant.
    Guide: Coming (Back) to webOS in 2014, Part 1 | pivotCE

From the picture, it seems you have access to the test device, so it has been sold 'as is', the seller has reset and bypassed activation or you have used the devicetool.jar on the test phone to bypass activation yourself.
    The TEST phone fired up to the Palm Account Activation screen. Once I applied Device Tool I was able to get right in and set up some mock data.

I intend to contact the UnFone company tomorrow and see if they can provide any additional details of the modifications.
    CvvB and Preemptive like this.
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    SUCCESS!!!!

It works! I have disabled the password lock on the EVIDENCE phone and I am in!!!!

I went back and double checked my steps and realized I had plugged the phone in the wrong mode preventing WOSQI from accessing or detecting the phone. So Devicetool.Jar did enable developer mode afterall. Also the -f command in the Activation Bypass String was not required and was tripping. I figured that out on the TEST phone. I forgot to remove it on the EVIDENCE phone when I applied the string!

So is the error of a 16 hour day! I need to go drink now!

To all of you thank you very much for the input. We have accomplished what a $10,000 machine and software program can not do. If someone will put this together you could sell it to Law Enforcement Agencies all day!

All of the phone's content are there. And luck have it, so are the vital SMS that reveal so much about the victims last conversation before meeting his killer. We have what we need now!!!!!!!!

I plan on summarizing my steps in detail and posting them for y'all to review. Again Thank you all!!!!

Inv. Jay Stanfill
    Jackson TN Police Department
    Congratulations Jay!!

And to the awesome member of webOS Nation - THANK YOU and WELL DONE!

Funny, I remember this topic (law enforcement coming out with a tool to plug in a phone and get all your data) a long time ago - back when the first Palm Pre came out. And we were laughing back then that webOS was not included in that software cracking. Well... looks like this was the first time it was put to the test.

Yes, privacy is very important - but if you all assisting to get crucial evidence together that could potentially help put a killer away and give peace of mind/comfort to a grieving family - I'll support that all... day... long.

Thank you all
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 12/19/2015 at 07:00 PM.
    xandros9, jccjmml7, vgg and 1 others like this.
    Yay! That's great news!

Sent from my Passport using Tapatalk
    Follow me on Twitter
    For the latest webOS news check out pivotCE
    Rnp and HelloNNNewman like this.
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    Congrats!!
    If you need help setting up email accounts on your new pixi, we can help too
    Rnp, HelloNNNewman and xandros9 like this.
    Nice job folks.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    IIIxe | z22 | Pre 3 | Bold 9900 | Q10 | Nexus 4
    HelloNNNewman and Rnp like this.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast