Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
  1.    #1  
    Hello Palm gurus!

Can't setup Google Mail on PalmOS 5.
    I've already tried different mail clients - no luck at all.
    Is it really possible for nowdays or it is a waste of time?
    it would help if you can state which mail clients you tried and if you got errors...

could be you have a certificate problem, nowadays everything is TLS and i don't know if the Treo supports that...
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Loginov View Post
    Hello Palm gurus!

When I was using my Treo 700p, I got my Yahoo mail set up, but the only problem was that I could not send mail at all. This is the same for my TX so I assume the VersaMail app has too old of coding to work right. I could get my GMail to work, but my Google settings had to be turned off or something.
    Tungsten E, Palm T|X, Treo 700p, Pixi, Pre Plus, Pre 2, HP TouchPad 16GB, LG G2, Samsung Gear 2 Neo, LG G Flex2 Volcano Red, Samsung Gear Live, LG Smart TV 32LF595B
    Hello Palm gurus!

This article outlines the problems we are having with webOS and SHA256 certificates:
    https://pivotce.com/2015/03/05/guide-fixing-yahoo-mail/

If there is a way to manually import certificates, then you have the instructions - the server is imap.gmail.com, the port is 993 using SSL. The outgoing is smtp.gmail.com, SSL on port 465. Assuming PalmOS supports SHA256, it's possible it doesn't have the same bug as webOS, but it's old...

Note this thread: google error: requested encryption not supported by server You can see that Google is changing it's certificate every few weeks, so even if this type of fix works webOS, you will need to re-apply it. We have reached the point where Grabber5.0 has developed a webOS app simply to download new certificates for Google.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by poehoes View Post
    it would help if you can state which mail clients you tried and if you got errors...

could be you have a certificate problem, nowadays everything is TLS and i don't know if the Treo supports that...
    Sorry for very late reply, here is my settings for versamail in chronological order and final result.
    Attached Images Attached Images
  6.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    You're looking at this thread too, right?
    XpressMail.prc (or Other Email App) Download?
    Thanks! But i can't find download link for this file...
    I believe this is the tool: CertModTook -anyone have it? (SSL Cert mod)

Last post appears to have the file. The Earthlink file may be in the Wayback Machine.

I have not downloaded to try it.
    Did you know:

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
  8.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by dkirker View Post
    I believe this is the tool: CertModTook -anyone have it? (SSL Cert mod)

Last post appears to have the file. The Earthlink file may be in the Wayback Machine.

I have not downloaded to try it.
    i assume this is tool for importing correct certs. But where i can get valid ones?
    Kind of a round-about way but do you have a webOS device? You can install cert grabber from preware by grabber5.0 and copy them off the device via USB. Then perhaps those can be used with the tool. I feel like I looked into this though and the certs are a different type of file...
    Follow me on Twitter
    For the latest webOS news check out pivotCE
  10.    #11  
    It's a pity, but i don't have any WebOS device, only Palm
    I sent you a PM, Nick.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Follow me on Twitter
    It's a pity, but i don't have any WebOS device, only Palm
    You can use a laptop or PC to retrieve certificates manually. Instructions are here: https://pivotce.com/2015/03/05/guide-fixing-yahoo-mail/

For Gmail, change instruction 4. to,
    4. Type this command: s_client -showcerts -connect imap.gmail.com:993 (enter).
    Don't forget to make a similar change for the smtp server certificates.

I guess you can Hotsync the information onto a PalmOS device, but how to install new certificates is something I don't know. Hopefully Alan can help you.
  13.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Morford View Post
    I sent you a PM, Nick.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Aha, i see it, thanks!
  14.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    You can use a laptop or PC to retrieve certificates manually. Instructions are here: https://pivotce.com/2015/03/05/guide-fixing-yahoo-mail/

For Gmail, change instruction 4. to,

Don't forget to make a similar change for the smtp server certificates.

I guess you can Hotsync the information onto a PalmOS device, but how to install new certificates is something I don't know. Hopefully Alan can help you.
    Thank for link! I'll try to use your info to solve my problem.
    Hello everybody!
    After a long time I came back to my Treos and seems to have a problem about I don't know - I can not check or get mail on my Treo 650 and Treo 680.
    VersaMail receives an error, as indicated above and SnapperMail also gives the error shown in the picture below.
    I tried to send or receive mail in different mail boxes (not only gmail, - hotmail and others that I've been registered for checking), and everywhere I get the error timeout, or SSL certificate error, as in the picture:

snappermail3.jpg

After reading this thread, I ask advice or any solutions. I would be grateful for any decision or link to the official patch - possible, HP has released an update for resolving this problem?
    Thanks in advance!
    Mail is broken in Palm OS unfortunately. There doesn't seem to be a fix nor enough developer interest in solving it. Sad but true.

Sent from my Yotaphone 2 using Tapatalk
    Follow me on Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Morford View Post
    Mail is broken in Palm OS unfortunately. There doesn't seem to be a fix nor enough developer interest in solving it. Sad but true.

Sent from my Yotaphone 2 using Tapatalk
    Hello, thank you for your quick reply! It's terrible...
    Maybe you also know - Blazer also won't load any web pages... Any solution? Opera mini + JVM?
  18.    #19  
    I can't resolve mail problem too. It seems that there is no way for solving it.. But I continue to use Treo 650 as my primary cell phone and organizer.
    xandros9 likes this.
    Global Posts
    134 Global Posts
    Actually, I can see a way to -- maybe not solve, but circumvent the problem. It would take a bit of work and resources though, and there is some burden included. I could try to build such solution, if there's interest -- read on. And feel free to laugh at my English.

The cause is that our old Palms cannot cope with modern SSL/TLS. As there is no eager developer to fix it Palm-side, the viable solution would be a kind of proxy, that Palms can connect to via older standards, and which will in turn connect to real servers as modern client would do. Ideal solution would be - just put proxy name in place of mail server name in config and enjoy your working mail.

And now -- the promised problems

First, such proxy should be available (condition 0 ), so it's either one-man show for his personal problems, or some public service -- small VPS will do.

Second, if there are many people (or at least mail accounts) involved, the proxy can not work as a simple forwarder -- it would have to provide some kind of authentication and it may be it'll have to store users credentials from real servers. At least I don't know an universal solution; I'll look for it. Of course, single-account setup is much simpler.

Third, while we can put mail protocols thru SSL, web traffic is a different beast. Often http://some.domain and https://some.domain provide different content. And while web browsers, contrary to mail clients, understand the concept of proxy, usually browser<->proxy channel is cleartext, so quite useless in today's web. The solution could be VPN, if there are any Palm clients available (my Treo asks me to visit palm.com to find one...).

Four, it soon would be (if not already) impossible to find old-style certificate for Palm-facing side of such proxy. This can be solved by having self-generated certificate (or CA), to manually accept on Palms.

Fifth, remember that old encryption is phased-out for a reason; it cannot be fully trusted.

Sixth, if you don't want to build such solution by yourself, remember that guy running, be it me or someone else, cannot be fully trusted. I am a sysadmin at small hosting company, so there's several thousand people who trust me already, but this is no proof
    T5, CliƩ NZ90, Treo 650, Centro, Pre, Pre+, Pre 2, Pre 2, Pre2, Nexus7@LuneOS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast