1.    #1  
    I just bought a Treo 180 from a website. It didn't require you to sign up for service. I thought, great I can use this with AT&T. So I get the phone two days early and I have been fighting with it ever since. When I insert the AT&T SIM Card and try to dial a number I get this:

SIM Card Not Allowed.
    Your phone cannont be used with this SIM card.

Has anyone else had this error? Does this mean that the phone is locked? I called Handspring and they told me that none of their phones, sold in the US, were locked.

What am I doing wrong?

Please help.
    Yes, that means the phone is locked. Where did you buy it from? Maybe they can tell you which carrier it is locked to.
  3.    #3  
    Bought it from a web site. T-Mobile is the carrier who has it locked. Called them and they told me that I had to purchase service from them in order to use the phone.
    Buyer beware, I guess. I have never heard of anyone being able to unlock a Treo.
    Global Posts
    183 Global Posts
    Try running the batteries completely down, or disassemble the unit and disconnect the battery for at least 30 minutes.
    Reassemble, recharge, and don't re-synch with the previous backup folder.
    That should erase any data left in the unit, including any carrier-specific lockout coding.
    Reinstall GPRS using the unofficial GPRS upgrade intstructions on this site.
    Worth a shot, anyhow.
    Best of luck!
    -Rusty
    Blackjack, Tilt; Treo 90, 270-680; Palm Vx, i705, T|T3, iQue 3200; Nokia N800, E71
    That's a huge long shot. A hard reset is going to clear the RAM, so draining the batteries is not going to do anything for you. It is some special coding in the firmware of the wireless ROM where this carrier specific information should be held. You could try re-applying the GPRS upgrade with the non-official one, but even that might not touch the area of firmware that is locking it out.
  7.    #7  
    Tried to do a hard reset on the Treo (same as draining battery) and it was a no go. Called the retailer and they are going to let me speak to their quality control representative tomorrow at 11 AM Eastern time. The young lady said, "He was going to have me do something. If that doesn't work, he was going to send me a phone that will work with AT&T."

Maybe I have a some hope?

cafloyd
    Originally posted by cafloyd
    Called the retailer and they are going to let me speak to their quality control representative tomorrow at 11 AM Eastern time. The young lady said, "He was going to have me do something. If that doesn't work, he was going to send me a phone that will work with AT&T."
    Did you ever get any resolution?
    Locks on phones are never stored in volatile memory. Would you write an important account number on rice-paper, grasshopper? :-)

It's very common to buy a phone with a lock on it to one wireless company. T-Mobile is probably the best of the bunch right now anyway and they will let you unlock later if you ask nicely.
    cafloyd, where did you get the Treo 180? I'm looking for an unlocked phone, and I definitely would like to avoid the place you purchased -- unless perhaps they've resolved the problem for you?
  11. ocs
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    I'm looking for an unlocked phone, and I definitely would like to avoid the place you purchased
    I just got my Treo 180 from TigerDirect in the mail. It does NOT work with my Cingular SIM card (which worked fine in my previous 180). So I'd guess the device is vendor-locked to T-Mobile. The box says "Service Provided By T-Mobile".

While I was planning to sign up with T-Mobile to get the $150 rebate (my Cingular acct is month to month), I don't like the idea of having a vendor-locked phone. I often travel abroad and buy prepaid cards to be able to make calls at reasonable, local rates...

So I am on hold with Handspring right now to find out if it's possible to unlock the phone.

Oliver
    Originally posted by ocs
    While I was planning to sign up with T-Mobile to get the $150 rebate (my Cingular acct is month to month), I don't like the idea of having a vendor-locked phone.
    T-Mobile will unlock a Treo 180 after 90 days of service. I've heard that from several customer service agents over several days.
  13. ocs
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    T-Mobile will unlock a Treo 180 after 90 days of service. I've heard that from several customer service agents over several days.
    Thanks. I am still on hold with Handspring Customer "Service" (34 mins and counting). At least they play Jazz instead of standard elevator music.

What's rather annoying is that the TigerDirect page from which I bought the Treo does not say that it's a T-Mobile only. In fact, quite the opposite:

Treo 180

How do I activate my Treo communicator?

Depending on which service provider you use, your experience will vary slightly. Below there is a link to activate your service, with easy-to-read instructions which are included in the Treo box with the SIM card.

The Treo communicator operates on the worldwide GSM network. In North America, new GSM service plans are offered from Cingular Wireless and T-Mobile. If you would like to use an existing wireless account with the Treo communicator, please contact your carrier to confirm that it works on the GSM network.
    Originally posted by ocs
    What's rather annoying is that the TigerDirect page from which I bought the Treo does not say that it's a T-Mobile only.
    I took the web page at face value as well and am now paying the price. I've tried for three days to find a way to get T-Mobile to release the lock without signing up (I'd prefer AT&T in my area), but I couldn't do it.

I've learned since then that if the Treo 180's SKU is '1024NA' then it is probably unlocked. But if it is '1024NA-NET' or '1024-VST-1' or perhaps other values, it is locked to a carrier.
    Correction: the SKU's all start with '1025NA'. Sorry.

PS - I also talked to Handspring over the weekend. They said they'd be happy to replace the phone with an unlocked one, but that it would be refurbished instead of new...
  16. ocs
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    Yes, my box says "SKU: 1025NA-NET".

Still on hold with Handspring... (63 mins)

I am actually okay with signing up with T-Mobile (they share their physical network here in the Bay Area with Cingular, so I'd get the same reception). But, I want to be sure that I can actually get it unlocked. And after 90 days it's too late to dispute the charges with MasterCard...

Right now I consider TigerDirect's sales approach misleading, to put it nicely.

Oliver
  17. ocs
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    128 minutes later, and finally I got ahold of someone at Handspring. Just to be told I'd have to call TigerDirect (TD).

The TD guy's explanation changed three times in ten minutes:

1. "No, it's not unlocked, it's a GSM phone and I have used my Nokia all over Europe..." (huh? how's this relevant?)

2. "It's locked to T-Mobile -- did you not read the website?" (I then read the website to him)

3. "It shouldn't be locked, but if it is, do you want to return it?"

He gave me an RMA number and said I would get s/h back, too. But in reading the fine print on the back of the TD invoice, they mention a 15% restocking fee for non-defective items (as far as I am concerned, it is defective; it doesn't work as advertised).

Guess I'll talk to T-Mobile to see if they agree to unlock it in three months.

I think that was my first and last purchase from TD.

Oliver