1.    #1  
    Is anyone here who could tell me autodestruction turning off code to Palm Treo 650 since someone has turned on autodestruction mode on my Treo 650. Please, post the code or a procedure for turning autodestruction off in this thread.

Autodestruction is described in the US patent: Patent US20060021006 - System and method for lost data destruction of electronic data stored on a ... - Google Patents
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk72 View Post
    Is anyone here who could tell me autodestruction turning off code to Palm Treo 650 since someone has turned on autodestruction mode on my Treo 650. Please, post the code or a procedure for turning autodestruction off in this thread.

Autodestruction is described in the US patent: Patent US20060021006 - System and method for lost data destruction of electronic data stored on a ... - Google Patents
    What are you seeing on the 650 that indicates autodestruction mode?
    My gadget list-TouchPad, Pre 3, Pre 2, Pre+, Pixi+, Treo 700p, Treo 650, Centro, Handspring, Kyocera 6035, 7135-all with Verizon.
  3.    #3  
    The problem are random resets after app launch or receiving SMS. I know that it is considered to be an app incompatibility issue but, according to my experience, this behaviour is not only due to bad apps or memory management. I know possible cures such as locking apps in memory or utilities like Reset Doctor but none of these methods helps. In my opinion, the reason is autodestruction mode activated both by apps or SMS (see the US patent with references to Palm in my first post) or, possibly, by a code entered in system (such as for unlocking GSM).

Finally, I note that if my Treo is off-line the stability issue is almost fixed, i.e., Treo is stable. But still, I have a reason to assume that a code for deactivating autodestruction might exist curing the problem completely unless I receive an infected SMS.
    Autodestruction isn't something that was built into PalmOS, the patent is referencing the ability for a device to wipe itself if it cannot successfully connect to another device (like a server). Palm is mentioned as an operating system the autodestruction could be used with. This is something similar to a Blackberry on a BES, where the admin can remotely wipe a device. Unless you're using some kind of corporate type software and if you can use the Treo, that's not the problem.
    Having used both a Treo 650 and 700p, I'd say app incompatibility.
    My gadget list-TouchPad, Pre 3, Pre 2, Pre+, Pixi+, Treo 700p, Treo 650, Centro, Handspring, Kyocera 6035, 7135-all with Verizon.
    Heh. What you are likely noticing is data corruption or a bug in the phone stack. There were definitely plenty of them... While I don't have a fix for your symptoms (I haven't touched PalmOS in over 5 years), I can assure you there is no auto-destruct enabled. If there were, you would pick up your device and it would have hard reset itself and your data would be gone.

Are there specific apps that crash?
    Did you know:

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
  6.    #6  
    There is no specific app but AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $autodestruction$ $was$ $implemented$ $in$ $dumb$ $phones$ $like$ $Siemens$ $M35i$ $and$ $further$. $The$ $symptoms$ ($for$ $Siemens$ $M35i$) $were$ $random$ $crashes$ $in$ $games$ - $the$ $same$ $as$ $for$ $Palm$ $Treo$ $650$.

I must say again that if I turn the GSM off then the crash rate decreases significantly. Anyway, I have suspicion that autodestruction is on permanently regardless of GSM or receiving SMS. If the error was in an app incompatibility then GSM would have no effect - with GSM off the crash rate is lower!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk72 View Post
    There is no specific app but AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $autodestruction$ $was$ $implemented$ $in$ $dumb$ $phones$ $like$ $Siemens$ $M35i$ $and$ $further$. $The$ $symptoms$ ($for$ $Siemens$ $M35i$) $were$ $random$ $crashes$ $in$ $games$ - $the$ $same$ $as$ $for$ $Palm$ $Treo$ $650$.

I must say again that if I turn the GSM off then the crash rate decreases significantly. Anyway, I have suspicion that autodestruction is on permanently regardless of GSM or receiving SMS. If the error was in an app incompatibility then GSM would have no effect - with GSM off the crash rate is lower!
    Well, there is a lot going on in the background.... Like I said, the phone library had plenty of bugs. If you turn the phone part off, the library isn't used, therefore the bugs go away. Carriers have rolled out network features and such that cause the cellular interactions with the phone to change, and as a result the behaviour. Since that software hasn't been updated in 9 years, it will likely crash.

Such "autodistruct" would likely be implemented with something like Microsoft Exchange support as a security policy (or using an app like BluePill PalmPowerups). However, a crash wouldn't be the result, a full on wipe of data would be. Unless you are saying that your phone crashes, and when it reboots all of your data is gone. But, there are also some libraries and apps that are so poorly written that will trigger that. (I've seen it happen. In fact, and app I wrote had a nasty bug that would do that. No fun, let me tell you.)
    Did you know:

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.