1.    #1  
    Hi, folks,

My Treo 300 (a replacement for one that went bad) often spontaneously resets when connecting to Sprint to check email. I am using Snappermail.

Any ideas what is causing this? My old Treo 300 did not do this. I talked with a Sprint Level 2 tech who thought it might be a hardware problem, and denied knowledge of it being a widespread problem. I seem to recall something like this being posted on this bulletin board, but was unable to find it when searching.

Maybe a Snappermail problem?

Thanks!
    Kami
    Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    I think you'll find this is an intermittent Sprint network problem. I have had periods of weirdness that last from an our to several hours over the last three weeks where spontaneous resets occur. At one point, I couldn't even sign into Vision.

This is an "educated guess" given my experience and Sprint's track record.

Anyone else ?
    I'd be willing to bet it's a third-party app.
    Originally posted by mblank
    I'd be willing to bet it's a third-party app.
    I agree. An intermittant network problem wouldn't cause a reset.

<edit: There is a big difference between "would" and wouldn't. One of these days I will master the Treo keyboard>
    Last edited by Maniac8888; 03/18/2003 at 09:00 PM.
    If there were any such thing, I would have earned a degree in Sprint network weirdness by now. But I don't believe this can cause an automatic soft reset.

OTOH, I have seen a number of situations in which my own code (and that of other apps, esp. related to ringtones) has caused such a thing to happen. That's why I vote for third-party app bug/crash.

On the other hand, I may be wrong...

- m
    Global Posts
    211 Global Posts
    Originally posted by Kami
    Hi, folks,

My Treo 300 (a replacement for one that went bad) often spontaneously resets when connecting to Sprint to check email. I am using Snappermail.

Any ideas what is causing this? My old Treo 300 did not do this. I talked with a Sprint Level 2 tech who thought it might be a hardware problem, and denied knowledge of it being a widespread problem. I seem to recall something like this being posted on this bulletin board, but was unable to find it when searching.

Maybe a Snappermail problem?

Thanks!
    This happened to me on Saturday for the first time. Snappermail would try and recieve e-mail and then my treo 300 crashes. This happened 3 times in a row and has not happened since. Wierd.
    Grace & Peace,

utey
    There have been a number of threads recently about this kind of network problem. I have had the exact same thing happen to me as well. In fact, it also occurs using Blazer. It started doing this only a few weeks ago. I have even documented my results in the thread entitled "Vision sign in problems" here. So far, it appears more likely it is a network problem than a hardware or software problem. However, Sprintpcs is clueless about it. I have a friend who is a RF engineer who works for them. I brought it to his attention last Friday but coincidentally there was a different issue at the same tower I was having a problem with but should be totally unrelated. But that is going to slow down any progress I have until that problem is solved. Then I can show him my problem is still there. (see my post in thread mentioned above).

Keep the cards and letters coming. We need to get a handle on this because it's not going away.

Stay Tuned
    Rees
    I'm pretty sure that a Sprint rep has confirmed that certain network failure conditions will cause a soft reset. The code was written that way. Happens maybe a few times/week around here too.

Not saying that it's your particular problem though. Strangely I've been having some pretty bad runs of network login as well. Like sometimes hours and hours with it failing.

I remember a couple of months ago I was in a convention center. I could stand in two places which were maybe 40ft apart, the signal was very strong in both places. Yet it would fail to login every single time in one place and not the other. It was so strange that I was almost convinced that it just had to be intentional. I was there for 8 hours and it just kept doing that. In the classroom was fine, but out in the hall was poof, with no change in signal strength -- if anything it was stronger in the hall.

I suppose you could blame it on class being on a break and bunches of people trying to connect. But seriously there was hardly anyone, and I never had a problem even out on the floor where thousands of people were there. It was just some weirdness in that one area.
  9.    #9  
    Dear friends,

Just a note to thank you for your many posts to this thread. I'm touched that even though we don't know each other, we take the time to give each other help and encouragement.

Kami