Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By broncot
  • 1 Post By ericlf
  • 1 Post By UI Designer
  • 1 Post By Misj'
  1.    #1  
    My trusty Zire 21 has finally bitten the dust, it looks like. The screen is blank and the battery is charged. A soft boot does nothing, so I think it is gone.
    Now I need to replace it with something similar as I am only using it for calendar and contact list. I wonder what would be a good replacement?
    Any ideas?

Ringosbike
    Chicago
    I imagine a search on ebay will turn up a good & powerful replacement. I heard Tungstens were good... Or TX? Or life drive?

http://cdn.webosnation.com/sites/web...s/timeline.jpg

Not PalmOS exactly, but maybe this meeting will interest you: Chicago webOS Meetup
    Last edited by Preemptive; 01/05/2015 at 02:47 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ringosbike View Post
    My trusty Zire 21 has finally bitten the dust, it looks like. The screen is blank and the battery is charged. A soft boot does nothing, so I think it is gone.
    Now I need to replace it with something similar as I am only using it for calendar and contact list. I wonder what would be a good replacement?
    Any ideas?

Ringosbike
    Chicago
    Alan's got some Tungsten's for sale Assortment of webOS, Android, PalmOS devices and accessories
    My gadget list-TouchPad, Pre 3, Pre 2, Pre+, Pixi+, Treo 700p, Treo 650, Centro, Handspring, Kyocera 6035, 7135-all with Verizon.
    xandros9 likes this.
    Global Posts
    509 Global Posts
    I would suggest the latest(very last) models as TX.
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ringosbike View Post
    Any ideas?

Ringosbike
    Chicago
    Ringosbike, I sent you a message if you want another Zire. Eric
    xandros9 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmlis View Post
    I would suggest the latest(very last) models as TX.
    actually, I've had bad experiences with two TX's. For both the screen started to become unresponsive in a corner-area; practically making them useless. My T3 never saw this problem, and is to this day my favorite Palm PDA. The screen-calibration, will become very much crap (TX has his same problem, as do all 320x480 Palm devices as far as I know) after a while, and in my case a tap was registered almost a half cm off from where I tapped. To solve this, install PowerDiGi (PalmPowerups). It's free nowadays, but a must-have for later-generation Palm Garnet devices.

So my advice - if you were to upgrade - would be not to buy a TX. The LifeDrive is too big/clumsy. The T5 I cant speak off, but the T3 is an excellent device (and it still had an actual stand not just a cable).

ps. I kinda should buy a new battery for my T3, because it's really worn out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Misj' View Post
    actually, I've had bad experiences with two TX's. For both the screen started to become unresponsive in a corner-area; practically making them useless. ...

So my advice - if you were to upgrade - would be not to buy a TX. ...

ps. I kinda should buy a new battery for my T3, because it's really worn out.
    I'm sorry to hear that you've run into problems with multiple TXs. Did you use a case with them? Did you carry them in your pocket? Maybe some dirt is trapped in the corner.

I haven't had any problems with my Palm TX. I still use one to look up my old Memos, old Calendar entries, and play with our old wonderful Palm OS, which still has a lot of great features missing in webOS. When I traveled with it in my poacket, I always kept it in a neoprene case.

I can highly recommend a TX!
    I'm not sure, though, about how long the battery will still last in these 5-9 year old devices. I keep mine fully charged all the time and no longer travel with it. Are new batteries still even manufactured and available for it?
    dmlis likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by UI Designer View Post
    I'm sorry to hear that you've run into problems with multiple TXs. Did you use a case with them? Did you carry them in your pocket? Maybe some dirt is trapped in the corner.

I haven't had any problems with my Palm TX. I still use one to look up my old Memos, old Calendar entries, and play with our old wonderful Palm OS, which still has a lot of great features missing in webOS. When I traveled with it in my poacket, I always kept it in a neoprene case.

I can highly recommend a TX!
    I'm not sure, though, about how long the battery will still last in these 5-9 year old devices. I keep mine fully charged all the time and no longer travel with it. Are new batteries still even manufactured and available for it?
    Saw a tweet today, 2048 is available as a prc from github somewhere...

Need to dig out my one of my palmos devices, or will it run in Classic?

<grin>
    Anything would work I think.

From the Z22 to the Zire 31, to the Tungsten E2 to the T2. all would work fine.

Depends on price I suppose.
    I'm sure many have devices they'd be willing to give since these low-end Palm's aren't worth too much these days.
    m505 > Z|71 > T|C > T|T3 > LifeDrive > iPod touch 4 >
    Pre 2 > Treo Pro > Aria > Treo 650 > Lumia 920 > BB Z10 > BB Q10
    Lumia 830 > 635 > iPhone 5s > Galaxy Alpha > Lumia 640 >
    iPhone 5c > Nexus 5 > Nexus 5X > Blackberry Priv
    My Palm OS Archive
    Quote Originally Posted by UI Designer View Post
    One TX was my mother's, the other my wife's. Both were kept primarily in house and both were handled with care. Also, both became unresponsive for approximately 1/4th of the screen (shortly after the warranties ended). Dust is unlikely to have been the problem for either case. It might be a coincidence, and I'm glad to hear others have a different (better) experience.

My T3 (that I still use as an alarm-clock) I always carried with me in my jacket - without case or any other protection...never had any problems come rain or shine, on my bike, etc. To me, this was the pinnacle of the old Palm (and the last in a list of real Palm devices I had (I'm not counting my Touchpad)).

But anyway, different people have different experiences and needs...it's to the original poster to decide what he feels is important to him. :-)
    xandros9 likes this.