1.    #1  
    (cross posted because I picked the wrong forum)
    http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/p...etPhonesPR.asp
    Click through to the high resolution images.

There have been other posts about how big these phones are, and I agree. The Treo itself took some getting used to, and I'm still worried about dropping it it's so big.

But the functionality has got to be amazing. For all those times your treo freezes (for example because AvantGo tries to download something while you're in the subway), or is just slow (like when you go back in the web browser and the page should still be in the cache, but it takes forever to redraw the screen), this should be the ticket. Palm OS 5.x? Forget it. PPC is the bomb squad.

Now if only there is some quirk that makes it fall flat in the marketplace, and I can get one on the cheap! Part of the reason I just bought my treo is the fact that it has been proven for 6 mos. or so, and it has finally dropped significantly in price. Here's to rapid depreciation of the Hitachi.
    Looks cool, I only see one big issue (with all due respect of course)...it's using windows. Now if it were a Linux (no such thing) or mac, then maybe. Yea, plamOS and the Treo has it's quirks, but it's more stable then my win 98SE machine. Just my thought.

ALso, I see a camera (I assume it's onme?) on the Hatichi, it's almost a swiss army knife, does a lot I assume, but nothing great?

I am daily reminded of the thought and design of the Handspring Treo. These guys need two thumbs up and a huge pat on the back IMO. I have had their Pro, Edge and now the Treo. I don't get it, their stock is low, but they seem to have grest products, but it's all public perception I guess. Were I work, we shot down from $12-20 to $2-3 and nothing has really changed except the ecconmy, so perhaps Hand and were I work are in the same boat, good company, on hold, due to ecconmy?

But yea, they both look cool and will probably be a good tool, but I will stick with my Treo for the time being.

So is Hand kinda like Mac, great ideas, inovators and it takes time for prople to catch it, and my then there are others on the market that cater to what is wanted (I mean they get 90% there and they others tweek it?). Someone has to start the ball rolling. I also see Hand has a Gov area, are they big into suppling the Gov with Treo and Visors?

Just thinking outloud......
    Treo 300 is a thing done right and is hard to beat, unless the new smart phones can be smaller and thinner with larger screen, longer battery life, better reception, more thoughtful design. Otherwise, who cares. Fully agreed with last poster, Treo 300 designers are truely great guys and I don't think those in large companies can beat them. And once these Treo 300 guys are hired by a large company, they become mean soon.
    Forgot one thing, as Toshiba 2032 cannot be used as a modem, I think neither do these two. They say you can now leave your laptop behind, but believe me you'll still need a laptop in many occations, maybe not that often though. Who really write their C++ codes and research papers on PDAs? If it is not meanwhile a modem, it is a big problem. You may not use your Treo as a modem that much, but you can't live without it neither. Without Scott's WirelessModem (now one more, PalmNet by Eddie), I would never have bought a Treo. HandSpring owns Scott and Eddie huge!
    Yeah, NEXT. It's running PPC OS. As I think I mentioned in a similar thread here: get used to dead batteries, sluggish performance, at least thrice-daily crashes and resets, and a non user friendly GUI.

One other thing: I'm definately not saying the Treo's a looker, but that thing is quite possibly the ugliest phone or PDA on the market.
    Thanks Fixup, is it not true that the HS guys were the early palm guys (if not the palm guys) and left the company to do their "own thing"?
    It would make sence I guess...anyone KNOW the answer?
    TIA, Matt Burkhard
    Yes they are from Palm. That was the best thing ever happened to Palm otherwise we would never seen these cute Treos but ugly Palms only. Regarding the look, Treo at least looks professional. I picked up Treo over I330 mainly because the I330 was too ugly. I did not know how good the Treo was back to then, but I knew I could not count on I330's reception after trying N400 and A500.
    Originally posted by Fixup
    Forgot one thing, as Toshiba 2032 cannot be used as a modem, I think neither do these two.
    I don't think it is accurate to compare the 2032 to either of these two devices. The 2032 had many large problems and was very much like the Qualcomm PDQ in that it was basically two devices that shared a common LCD but did not communicate with each other. The 2032 did not run PPC PE and even had two address books (the PPC OS one and one to dial from). So if the two address books couldn't even talk to each other, I don't think its any surprise you couldn't use it as a wireless laptop modem either.

I would be very surprised if you could not use both these devices as wireless laptop modems, especially the Samsung one. Of the Samsung phones I've seen, all could be used as a wirless modem so my feeling is that this will follow that trend.
    Wow, I never knew the 2032 was such a big crap for $700! You were right, and Samsung phones come with the best modems. So far nothing beats the data speed of A500. If you look into the article carefully, it does not mention modem at all, but claims that now you can leave your laptop behind once you own one of these two new babies.
    Originally posted by Fixup
    Wow, I never knew the 2032 was such a big crap for $700! You were right, and Samsung phones come with the best modems. So far nothing beats the data speed of A500. If you look into the article carefully, it does not mention modem at all, but claims that now you can leave your laptop behind once you own one of these two new babies.
    Ya, the 2032 was one of the poorest devices ever made. It had something like 8 hours standby time and needed a headset to make voice calls. People found a way around that by using the speakerphone and holding the device upside down to their head but it was obviously not meant to be used in that manner as radiation levels would then exceed those specified by the FCC.

But using a phone as a modem is such a common feature among most phones released today that it is rarely mentioned as a feature. People normally assume the feature is there which is why quite a few were surprised when the Treo 300 did not ship with this functionality. Therefore, I wouldn't put too much stock in the fact that the press release neglects to mention this feature. These two devices have so many other features packed into them (which their sizes shows) that something like use as a wireless laptop modem was probably left out because it wasn't considered important enough as some of the other features.
    Originally posted by Marty1781
    These two devices have so many other features packed into them (which their sizes shows) that something like use as a wireless laptop modem was probably left out because it wasn't considered important enough as some of the other features.
    Exactly what made me worry. Based on the article, they may think a modem is not so important to be included in the phone, because they believe you no longer need a laptop once you have one of these two smart phones.
    Sorry, I wrote that last statement poorly. What it should have read was "These two devices have so many other features packed into them (which their sizes shows) that something like use as a wireless laptop modem was probably left out OF THE WRITTEN LIST OF FEATURES because it wasn't considered important enough TO MENTION as some of the other features."
    I understood you very well. There is even one more reason for them not to put a modem in - SPCS does not want them to. SPCS used this feature to drag people (me for one) in. Soon after they got enough customers, they have been trying their very best to disacourage the use of this feature.
    As Megadeth once said,

I'LL BE THE FIRST IN LINE

(for the G1000 )