1.    #1  
    Hi, friends...

I'm using Eudora on my 300 for email. I am not using a Sprintpcs.com e-mail address, because I need another e-mail address like I need a hole in my head.

So when I want to use my work address or personal address to try to send e-mail, I'm orphaned without an SMTP server unless I happen to be sending mail to someone in the same domain as my work address, in which case my work SMTP server will relay my mail.

smtp.sprintpcs.com apparently won't relay for those who are not sending from a sprintpcs.com address, even if you're clearly ON THEIR NETWORK. I told the tech who explained this to me a few minutes ago that this is something they should address.

One encouraging thing, though, is that the SMTP server apparently prompts for a sprintpcs username and password; I guess if I could somehow get Eudora to send it that instead of my POP3 username and password, I might get through. <shrug>

Any ideas? How are you guys handling this? Did you break down and use sprintpcs e-mail addresses, or have you found a 3rd-party solution?

Thanks,

Tracey
    I agree with you, the last thing I need is another email account.

I use my corporate email on my 300 by dialing directly to the corporate server and downloading. POP and SMTP work fine and I am able to send emails as if they were coming from my laptop on the LAN. Depending on your service with Sprint they might charge you for this modem to modem connection but two calls a day when I am on the road is a pretty trivial cost compared to managing another email account.
  3.    #3  
    Thanks for your reply. After I posted last nite, I discovered that the ISP that has one of my accounts will let me relay if I can authenticate. (Actually, it's not an ISP but rather an e-mail service.) Once I figured out how to make Eudora prompt for a user and password, I could send my mail right through.

Sprint still needs to allow relaying for folks on their network, though. I mean, are there a lot of people spoofing their e-mail addresses and sending tons of spam with their Treos?
    > One encouraging thing, though, is that the SMTP server apparently prompts for a
    > sprintpcs username and password; I guess if I could somehow get Eudora to send it that
    > instead of my POP3 username and password, I might get through. <shrug>

I didn't have any problems setting up the username and password for the Eudora Palm program. I posted a sort of mini-howto at the following url (hopefully, you can reach it without having to register):
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/treo300/message/84

Pay special attention to Appendix B, which explains how to set your SMTP username and password (not the same as your sprintpcs.com login user/pass!).

Hmmm. I have our Treos set to our company's POP and Sprint's SMTP. I think that my howto assumes that the user has the same POP and SMTP. I checked my boss's Treo, and his SMTP authentication is set to "Best Available" and "Password Saved". I suspect that I originally set it to "Password Prompt", but it automatically changed to "Password Saved" after the first time I entered the username and password (when I was testing an emails send). That should do the trick, assuming that you're set up right from that web account.

Sprint PCS has given me tons of trouble. Thankfully, authentication with Eudora hasn't been one of them (well, actually *connecting* has been a problem, but that's not precisely the same thing ^_^ ).

-JC