1.    #1  
    I have a database application with names and phone numbers. I'd like to import phone numbers to the address book, so that I can use the dialer without manually keying in the phone number.

With my old Kyocera, all I had to do was highlight the number and tap the phone icon on the graffiti screen. Is there any way to do this with my Treo 300?
    Originally posted by neill
    I have a database application with names and phone numbers. I'd like to import phone numbers to the address book, so that I can use the dialer without manually keying in the phone number.

With my old Kyocera, all I had to do was highlight the number and tap the phone icon on the graffiti screen. Is there any way to do this with my Treo 300?
    Neill,

I've done a lot of tranferring of contact data from various sources into my Treo, so I may be able to help you, if I understood your question better.

Where is the database application with names and phone numbers in it?

Is it on your computer or in your Treo?

What is the name of this database application?

If it is on your computer, does it have a facility to export in tab-delimited format?

If so, you can export the contacts from your computer database application, then import the tab-delimited file into Palm Desktop, then hotsync it over to your Treo.

As for your second sentence, I'm not sure if this is related to the question in your first sentence, but yes the Treo software also allows you to dial out from a contact's phone number. If you are in the PhoneBook app, it's the third rectangle from the left on the bottom, or you can just keep clicking the leftmost hard button till you get there. Then type the first and last initials of the contacts name, and as many or few more letters of the last name as necessary to show the contact on your screen, touch the phone number once with your stylus, and you will get a Dial popup window.

Regards,

NateS
    Treo 600 - what a "Marvel"ous device!
  3.    #3  
    Thanks for trying to help, NateS. Unfortunately, there are no export options-- it's a canned database called Therapist Helper. There's a desktop version, and an abbreviated PalmOS version, called Traveler.

With my Kyo, I had two options, which I mentioned above-- I could simply highlight the number, and press an icon which would import it to the dialer.

Alternative 2 involved using graffiti-- I'd used the slash/copy command to place the phone number on the clipboard. I could then use the slash/paste command to place the number into the address book and then use the dialer function.

I've searched throught the Treo documentation, and there's nothing about a clipboard function, or about copying text unless there's a specific Edit option on the menu, as in Memo.
    Thanks for trying to help, NateS. Unfortunately, there are no export options-- it's a canned database called Therapist Helper. There's a desktop version, and an abbreviated PalmOS version, called Traveler.

With my Kyo, I had two options, which I mentioned above-- I could simply highlight the number, and press an icon which would import it to the dialer.

Alternative 2 involved using graffiti-- I'd used the slash/copy command to place the phone number on the clipboard. I could then use the slash/paste command to place the number into the address book and then use the dialer function.

I've searched throught the Treo documentation, and there's nothing about a clipboard function, or about copying text unless there's a specific Edit option on the menu, as in Memo.
    Neill,

Try this:

MarknDial 0.6
    Latest Update:
    February 11, 2003
    Product Type:
    Commercial $9.95

Minimum
    Requirements:
    * Any Palm OS Hardware
    * Palm OS 3.0
    * X-Master
    . . .
    Application Description:
    Are you a user who often finds yourself wanting to dial a phone number being displayed in Blazer, memopad, datebook, or a word document?
    Did you find yourself memorizing the number, switching to the phone application, starting to dial the number... and then forgetting and having to go back. Memorizing again. Switching to the phone application. How exasperating!!
    With MarknDial, just mark the number and let MarknDial dial it for you. A single keystroke can dial a highlighted number. Another keystroke can add a highlighted number to the address book.
    Any application that supports highlighting text on the screen will work with MarknDial.
    Unlike other software that implements this functionality, MarknDial works with most applications, even on read-only fields and Blzaer. You can dial with one step with no annoying forms popping up. MarknDial has better integration with the Address Book. Finally, you don't have to memorize any key strokes: MarknDial shows a new phone button in the Menu command bar that you can tap on.
    Works with the Handspring Treo (180, 180g, 270 and the 300), the Samsung I300 and the Samsung I330.
    Also works with any PalmOS 4.x device coupled with a wireless phone via IR or Bluetooth.

You can download a trial version from PalmGear at:

http://www.palmgear.com/software/sho...F&prodID=42147

Regards,

NateS
  5.    #5  
    Thank you so much! This is exactly what I need. And I was beginning to fear that I'd have to compromise functionality in switching from greyscale to color
  6.    #6  
    Unfortunately, it didn't work, since the Command key, which ought to activate the Hack, instead brings up some setup commands specific to my database app.

Now, if I could only figure out how to get the numbers from my database into Memo, I'd be in business. I'm really missing the Palm clipboard...
    Unfortunately, it didn't work, since the Command key, which ought to activate the Hack, instead brings up some setup commands specific to my database app.

Now, if I could only figure out how to get the numbers from my database into Memo, I'd be in business. I'm really missing the Palm clipboard...
    I think you are giving up too soon. I don't know what you mean by the "Command" key, but you ought to email the author of the program and explain your problem. He/she will probably reply with an explanation of what you are doing wrong, or a workaround.

OTOH, if you really are satisfied with getting your contacts into a standard Palm app (I thought that wouldn't be sufficient because your contacts in your special program change or are often supplemented) why choose Memo - your goal should be to get them into the Contacts/Addresses app. There are programs for both Mac and Windows (I don't know which you use) that allow a backup of a Palm datafile which has been saved to your computer to be converted on your computer to a text file, which you can then massage with a text editor (global search and replaces) to get it into tab-delimited format, and then you can import it into the Palm Desktop AddressBook and then sync it over to your Treo right into Treo's PhoneBook app.

For example, go to:

http://www.mootjelitt.com/mpc.html

where you will find such a program for the Mac.

I have seen similar apps for the windows platform.

Also, I'm not sure you have fully explored the possibility of exporting from your desktop version of this program. Even when an application does not provide an export facility, there are usually tricks to get the data out into a text file. If it provides a print list command, for example, there are little apps which allow you to trick the print command into a save-text file command. For example, on the Mac, there is Print2Text. I am confident there are similar Windows apps.

Many early computer database programs had proprietary formats and they didn't want you to be able to migrate your data to a new and better program and so excluded an export command. The data however belongs to you not the software company and I have always found ways over the years to get the data out so it can be moved to a new program of your choice.

Don't give up so easily!

Good luck, Neill!

Regards,

NateS
  8.    #8  
    Thanks for the kind words of encouragement. This is from the developer's ReadMe:

"On a keyboard device (such as the Treo 180, 270 or 300),pressing the "Menu Command" key followed by the "Space" key (or "Menu Command"key followed by the Address Book button) will dial out the highlightednumber. "

The Menu Conmand Key (I think I've got it right-- it's the one with the upward slash next to the Home icon) brings up an Options screen in my database program; this is where it gets stuck. In Memo, it also brings up the Options screen, but it works fine there. I wrote to the developer last night, but haven't yet heard back.

I tried the link you attached, but the exporting function doesn't work for my database app. I'll search for one that's Windows compatable.

I'm not one to give up easily. If you have any other suggestions for me, I'd sure appreciate it. I've scoured the web for a clipboard hack that is Treo compatible, but can't seem to find one.
  9.    #9  
    I found an app that adds Graffiti to the Treo screen, called NewPen-- it's freeware
    http://www.palmgear.com/software/sho...9&prodID=42632

It enables graffiti directly on the screen. More importantly, for my purposes, the usual diagonal upstroke across the screen brings up the icons at the bottom, for cut, copy, paste, clipboard, and trash. So I'ver restored complete functionality of the Palm OS.

Now I can copy the phone number from my DB app, and then paste into the dialer simply by pressing Menu Command and then Paste :-)
    I found an app that adds Graffiti to the Treo screen, called NewPen-- it's freeware
    http://www.palmgear.com/software/sho...9&prodID=42632

It enables graffiti directly on the screen. More importantly, for my purposes, the usual diagonal upstroke across the screen brings up the icons at the bottom, for cut, copy, paste, clipboard, and trash. So I'ver restored complete functionality of the Palm OS.

Now I can copy the phone number from my DB app, and then paste into the dialer simply by pressing Menu Command and then Paste :-)
    Very resourceful workaround!

Incidentally, there is also RechoEchoPlus, which Handspring will now allow Treo owners to download without charge.

Regards,

NateS
  11.    #11  
    I've looked through the Hanspring site, and I can only find a link to Handango, where they charge $10 for the download. Where can I locate the free version?
    I've looked through the Hanspring site, and I can only find a link to Handango, where they charge $10 for the download. Where can I locate the free version?
    Sorry,

I found the Handspring download page at:

http://www.handango.com/handspring/P...talog=1&title=

but it appears they are charging for it again. It must have been a limited time offer.

Regards,

NateS