1.    #1  
    Belkin is supposed to release a wireless keyboard in April that supports the Treo.

<http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProdu...putDevices%2F#>

From the picture, it looks much more confortable to use than the Micro Innovations / Pocketop wireless keyboard (which I have).

Regards,
    --Nathew
    Thanks for the post! It looks good to me.
    Global Posts
    313 Global Posts
    It's exactly the same as the Micro Innovations / Pocketop wireless keyboard. Look at the larger picture.
    Henry L lazarus hlazar@netaxs.com
    www.netaxs.com/~hlazar/
    www.netaxs.com/~hlazar/god.html
  4.    #4  
    What are you talking about?

Look more closely at the pictures

Belkin:

Pocketop:

<http://www.pocketop.net/>

Just look at the pics, on the Belkin has five rows of keys, the Pocketop has four. The battery is on the right on the Belkin, it's on the left on the Pocketop. The application keys are on the right side of the Belkin, on the top of the Pocketop, etc. etc.

Regards,
    --Mathew
    Slight price difference between the two however!
    Looks like the even bigger advantage is that the Belkin product will work with the Treo, whereas the pocketop specifically says not supported for Treos.
    Originally posted by mathewlu
    What are you talking about?

Look more closely at the pictures

Belkin:

Pocketop:

<http://www.pocketop.net/>

Just look at the pics, on the Belkin has five rows of keys, the Pocketop has four. The battery is on the right on the Belkin, it's on the left on the Pocketop. The application keys are on the right side of the Belkin, on the top of the Pocketop, etc. etc.
    If you look closely at the Belkin large picture, you'll see that the letters on the key are BACKWARDS. In other words, you're looking at a mirror image of the keyboard. With that in mind, I'd be willing to bet this IS the Pocketop keyboard, only the next generation! It does have five rows instead of four, so it probably is taking care of the issues I've had with it all along. And, BTW, it definitely does work with the Treo (regardless of what the Pocketop site says)...been using it for almost eight months now.
  8.    #8  
    Originally posted by sbcrair

If you look closely at the Belkin large picture, you'll see that the letters on the key are BACKWARDS. In other words, you're looking at a mirror image of the keyboard. With that in mind, I'd be willing to bet this IS the Pocketop keyboard, only the next generation! It does have five rows instead of four, so it probably is taking care of the issues I've had with it all along. And, BTW, it definitely does work with the Treo (regardless of what the Pocketop site says)...been using it for almost eight months now.
    You're right, sharp eyes; I hadn't noticed that. It is a mirror image. That's rather weird. In any case, my point holds which is that whatever it is, new generation of the Pocketop or not, it is certainly different from the present MI/Pocketop unit.

This explains why a picture of the unit I saw on a PDA news site looked different. (Can't remember which one now).

I too have a MI unit, and it works the Treo (though the driver does crash my Treo sometimes, especially if I don't disable all my Hacks first). I think it's listed as unsupported because it won't work right side up on the included stand, since the flip cover gets in the way. I wonder how Belkin has solved this problem. (I wonder if they're going to say is supported only insofar as you keep the flip cover closed).

Best,
    --Mathew
    I don't have any hacks installed, so I haven't had any problems with crashing. My major problem with the software and keyboard is the difficulty of lining up the IR ports perfectly...ya gotta be right on and not very far away for it to work well. And, every once in a while, it gets confused so that you've got to reset (eg, turn the software off and on) to get it to work with function keys, etc.
    i've tried to use the pocket top kb, but it crashes as soon as the auto off kicks in i think. I know there is a short cut to turn auto-off off, but i was wondering if anyone else was having this problem
    Has anyone seen the Belkin keyboard yet?
  12.    #12  
    Saw it at Fry's the other day... $49.99

I'm waiting for somebody else to be the guinea pig and try one out

Best,
    --Mathew
    OK, so I was in Fry's today, picked up the last one they had. Looks and operates very similarly to the Pockettop (my guess is it's designed and built by Pockettop). Except, software works much better, the keyboard has 5 full rows, and it has keyboard shortcuts to various apps right there. Works MUCH better! Only downside I've found so far is that in order for the mirror on top of the stand to work properly, you need to play with the position of the keyboard relative to the Treo/stand. The IR is very sensitive to that position (unlike a radio-based transmitter). The software seems to be more stable than the software with the old Pockettop keyboard. And, it's only $49.95! Fry's is still selling the old version for $99.95 (interesting, huh?). Execept for the sensitivity of the IR port, it's at least as good as my old Stowaway was. I'd say a big "thumbs up"!
    Today I purchased the Belkin Keyboard at Fry's for $49.99 and am grateful for the heads up here on TreoCentral. I'm posting my first impressions using the keyboard with Wordsmith and a Treo 300.
    Previously, I had looked at the Micro Innovations keyboard that some of the members here had gotten to work with a little effort. My recollection of the M.I. keyboard, which I only saw as a demo at CompUSA, was that it was a little lighter (the Belkin seems sturdier) and that some of the keys were a bit cramped. Other than that, the size of the keyboard and the accompanying cradle seem exactly the same. It's very possible that the two keyboards were made by the same manufacturer with slightly different materials. The keys are very well laid out and of a good size considering the small size of the board. There are four dedicated function keys on the left which correspond to the four main hard keys on the Treo and call up whatever programs they have been set to. These keys can also be programmed to call up four other programs when held down and they work perfectly as far as I can see.
    Setting up the board was a simple process. Inserting the included CD into the desktop brings up a choice of installing Pocket PC, Palm OS, or reading the Users Manual. A click on Palm OS places the .prc into the Palm installer and once installed a click on that provides a means of activation and several customizations.
    Getting the Treo to recognize the keyboard involves a little effort, but essentially involves placing the Treo on the included cradle, popping in an AAA battery, and separating the Treo from the cradle about 5 1/2 inches. I suppose that placing a book under the keyboard would allow one to get the two closer together.
    On the downside the cradle is a little unstable and quite likely to tip over and damge the Treo unless care is taken. I noticed on one occasion that the text on the screen was distorted by a little garbage (in Wordsmith) but Function Key + Page Up, Function Key + Page Down quickly removed it and I haven't seen it again.
    Based on my first impression I give it four out of five stars. For those of us that have been waiting for a keyboard for the Treo this is a definite keeper at $49.99. It is in stock and available at Fry's www.outpost.com.

From Outpost.com:

Belkin Wireless PDA Keyboard
    Belkin:
    Outpost #: 3598024
    Using dual-beam infrared to communicate with your PDA wirelessly, the keyboard no longer has to be attached to your PDA. Since the operation of the keyboard is based on the universal infrared technology, the keyboard is compatible with many Pocket PC and Palm devices available in the market. It can also be compatible with future PDA devices through driver updates. The Universal IR Wireless PDA Keyboard may be the last PDA keyboard you need to buy.

In stock, same day shipping

Detailed Description
    Quick-start keyboard application keys
    Generous key spacing and comfortable key travel
    Wireless connectivity
    Universal compatible
    Compatible with following models:
    HP iPAQ 3600/3700/ 3800/3900/5400 series Pocket PCs
    Toshiba e310/e570/e740 & 2032SP Series Pocket PCs
    Dell Axim X5 Series Pocket PCs
    Palm Tungsten III, IIIx, IIIe, IIIc, V, Vx, VII, VIIx m100, m105, m125, m130, m500, m505, m515, i705, Zire & Tungsten T series handhelds
    Sony CLIE S/N/T/SL/SJ/NR/series handhelds
    Casio E-200 Pocket PC
    Mitac 338 Pocket PC
    O2 XDA Pocket PC
    Asus Zayo A600 Pocket PC
    Audiovox 2032SP Pocket PC
    Handspring Visor/Deluxe/Edge/Prism/ Platinum/Neo/Pro, & Treo Series Handhelds
    IBM WorkPad c3/c50x Series
    Last edited by copernicus; 05/03/2003 at 10:55 PM.
    Thanks for the information about outpost.com. I was trying to find a place here in DC that carried the keyboard since we don't have Fry's. I just ordered it and can't wait to see how it works.

Geoffrey
    Anyone tried this one yet? I am debating on it's purchase after reading something about it in an "Around the Web" article on this site from CNET-Asia.
    I have been burned by several "Treo compatible" IR keyboards including the Belkin and Micro Innovations which, in my opinion after using both, are not good options and am hesitant to leap again into the fray. My office is getting full of keyboards.

http://www.targus.com/product_details.asp?sku=pa870u

I also have read about the IBIZ KeySync keyboard that connects with the serial sync cable but is not foldable. It looks good, but the size is obviously a concern.

http://www.ibizpda.com/pda_accessories/pda_keysync.html

Questions, questions, too many questions. It's enough to drive a person MAD!!!
    Geek.....me????!!!!
    Thanks for the compliment, geeks run the world after all!
    I'm wondering what "coming soon" means. I just got the Belkin and like it well enough. I don't mind the mirror, but I would like the stand to be attached to the keyboard, like the Targus and the PDA Mart model (http://www.pda-mart.com/pm-kb-ir-501.html). I have a question into them about Treo compatibility with this model.

Has anyone tried it?

Geoffrey

Follow-up: I have just been informed that this keyboard does not support Treos.
    Last edited by gmaugham; 05/08/2003 at 09:07 AM.
    Global Posts
    125 Global Posts
    The Targus is now available on the Targus web site, and according to the Targus compatibility matrix it is compatible with the Treo 300.

I have not procured or tested it myself (yet)