Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I've just released SMS Chat 1.0!

SMS Chat allows you to chat on AIM Wireless over SMS on a supporting carrier (T-Mobile or AT&T) from a Handspring Treo or Visorphone.

It can be downloaded here.

This program is Free, but I do take donations, as you can see on that page.

I'll eventually have screenshots and documentation up there. Please let me know if you have any questions or comments.

Thanks!
    Last edited by metsfan; 03/16/2003 at 06:14 PM.
  2.    #2  
    I'm wondering if anyone has tried this and gotten it working with a Visorphone. I've gotten one report of it not working right, and crashing after sign-on.

Anyone gotten it working?
  3.    #3  
    Well, no one here really seems to be using this but...

Version 1.1 is out, which fixes a few bugs, including one that would cause it to crash if you tried to respond to a message after having received several messages while running another application.
    Last edited by metsfan; 05/13/2003 at 11:14 AM.
    Units - Unit conversion for webOS!
    Treo 180->270->600->650->Blackberry Pearl->Palm Pre
    hi,

i tried SMS chat on my visorphone & it caused a crash whenever an SMS message was received - unfortunately i did not write down the error (something about an invalid pointer?). i do not back up my visor which i know is a no-no (no time to figure it out!) but reinstalling the original visorphone updates seems to have cleared the problem.

With the future of Quick Chat unknown, I'm open for alternatives!

AndyN
  5.    #5  
    Originally posted by AndyHN
    hi,

i tried SMS chat on my visorphone & it caused a crash whenever an SMS message was received - unfortunately i did not write down the error (something about an invalid pointer?). i do not back up my visor which i know is a no-no (no time to figure it out!) but reinstalling the original visorphone updates seems to have cleared the problem.

With the future of Quick Chat unknown, I'm open for alternatives!

AndyN
    I just got myself a visorphone, and I will be attempting to figure out why it doesn't work. I'll let you know if I get it fixed.
    Last edited by metsfan; 05/13/2003 at 11:15 AM.
    Originally posted by metsfan
    SMS Chat allows you to chat on AIM Wireless over SMS on a supporting carrier (T-Mobile or AT&T) from a Handspring Treo or Visorphone.Thanks!
    metsfan,

Hope the NY Mets will do better this year

Question: How does SMS Chat 1.0 is different than VeriChat or Chatter? Try to convince me to get it over the other two (which I like a lot!).
    Thanks, m00se
    I have never let my schooling interfere with my education.
    -Mark Twain
  7.    #7  
    Originally posted by m00se

metsfan,

Hope the NY Mets will do better this year

Question: How does SMS Chat 1.0 is different than VeriChat or Chatter? Try to convince me to get it over the other two (which I like a lot!).
    Thanks, m00se
    I hope they do better this year, too.

SMS Chat is different than VeriChat or Chatter in that it's SMS only. No data connection is used. It relies on the AIM Wireless service support by some providers (AT&T and T-Mobile for GSM, Verizon on the Kyocera phones, I think).

The main benefits are that you don't need a data connection, it doesn't rely on a third party proxy (only the AIM proxy setup by your service provider), and that you can get a little mobile icon next to your name on AIM instead of the regular one.

If you use any IM service other than AIM, you don't want to use SMS Chat. Honestly, VeriChat is a nicer program, but since I don't use anything other than AIM, and my service provider gives me an AIM gateway, I didn't want to pay for another service. SMS Chat's interface is very similar to Quick Chat, but it doesn't have the speed problems that Quick Chat has. Also, it lets you do things like reply to messages outside the app, which Quick Chat doesn't.

I've never used Chatter, so I can't compare. But basically, if you're already using VeriChat or Chatter and are happy with it, there's no reason to switch to mine. And that's OK. I wrote it for me, and am just sharing it in case anyone else happens to want it.
    Last edited by metsfan; 05/13/2003 at 11:15 AM.

I hope they do better this year, too.

they will. they really cant do worse. :-)
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Please keep the SMS Chat beta active. I'm away from my sync PC (will be traveling tomorrow) and won't be able to give it a try on my Treo180 until Wednesday. Looking forward to this "limited" approach. Just what I think I'm looking for. Don't really want to use my data connection b/c of all the available SMS messages that my plan contains each month.

SMS Chat allows you to chat on AIM Wireless over SMS on a supporting carrier (T-Mobile or AT&T) from a Handspring Treo or Visorphone.

It can be downloaded here.

This program is Free, but I do take donations, as you can see on that page.

I'll eventually have screenshots and documentation up there. Please let me know if you have any questions or comments.

Thanks!
    No documentation, eh? You software looks pretty slick. And it's free so I am not complaining. Let's hope I can get it to work. Here are my questions/comments.

I have a Treo 300. I installed SMS Chat 1.0 As soon as I launch it I get the error: "There was an error registering with the SMS library." I hit the close button.

Then I am prompted to sign on. I enter in my AIM username and password and click the Sign On button. I am told: "Error registering. Please try again."

What's up? Is your software asking me for my AIM login? Something else? It seems to reject my sign on info immediately.
  11.    #11  
    Originally posted by dspinelli

No documentation, eh? You software looks pretty slick. And it's free so I am not complaining. Let's hope I can get it to work. Here are my questions/comments.

I have a Treo 300. I installed SMS Chat 1.0 As soon as I launch it I get the error: "There was an error registering with the SMS library." I hit the close button.

Then I am prompted to sign on. I enter in my AIM username and password and click the Sign On button. I am told: "Error registering. Please try again."

What's up? Is your software asking me for my AIM login? Something else? It seems to reject my sign on info immediately.
    SMS Chat doesn't work on the Treo 300. The 300 can't (natively) send SMS messages, and Sprint doesn't offer the same AIM over SMS service that T-Mobile and AT&T do.
    Last edited by metsfan; 05/13/2003 at 11:16 AM.
  12.    #12  
    Well, I've done my first tests on a VisorPhone, and am getting the same results as everyone who's tried it. It crashes on receiving the sign on message. I'll try to find and fix the cause of the problem as soon as I can.
    Just curious. Been playing with the SMS Chat tonight. It appears that you can't cut and paste. Any way to do this?

I've long ago given up on using AIM, but the Treo makes chat a great idea again for an old guy like me. Can anyone here elaborate on the speed differences between chatting via SMS-mode and GPRS? Can you really notice?
  14.    #14  
    Originally posted by cnlchapman
    Just curious. Been playing with the SMS Chat tonight. It appears that you can't cut and paste. Any way to do this?

I've long ago given up on using AIM, but the Treo makes chat a great idea again for an old guy like me. Can anyone here elaborate on the speed differences between chatting via SMS-mode and GPRS? Can you really notice?
    I guess I forgot to put in the edit menu, since I don't use it at all. It'll go into the next release.

With a program like VeriChat, you definitely will notice the difference when you're chatting in the app itself using GPRS. It's noticeably faster. While in another application, VeriChat uses SMS, so the speed there would be comparable.

The one feature I love that makes me want to use SMS Chat instead of some other app is the mobile icon that shows up on other people's buddy list, so they know I'm on a mobile device. With any that uses GPRS, it acts as a normal AIM client and doesn't show that you're on a phone.

I guess I forgot to put in the edit menu, since I don't use it at all. It'll go into the next release.

With a program like VeriChat, you definitely will notice the difference when you're chatting in the app itself using GPRS. It's noticeably faster. While in another application, VeriChat uses SMS, so the speed there would be comparable.

The one feature I love that makes me want to use SMS Chat instead of some other app is the mobile icon that shows up on other people's buddy list, so they know I'm on a mobile device. With any that uses GPRS, it acts as a normal AIM client and doesn't show that you're on a phone.
    I actually created a second screen name for my phone. That way I don't log myself off when I log on somewhere else. Because the name is <mynormalscreenname>phone, it's obvious I'm on my phone.
    I am hapilly chugging along with my 16mb Prism and VisorPhone. SMS chat would be just what I am looking for to do AIM chat via SMS from my PDA. At 16kb it is lean and mean! No GPRS with the VPh and I don't want to waste minutes and tie up the phone dialing up to my ISP.

I get the same fatal error on receiving the sign-on SMS and have no problem with a soft reset.

I really hope you can find a simple fix. I'd love to test future betas.

Joel
    As a followup, this works well for my limited needs. Also, you are right, the notification that you are on a mobile device hopefully makes typos that much more firgivable.

Now, if I only could get my friends and co-workers to purchase Treos, I'd be set!
    Started having problems with Quick Chat v 2.2 after 6+ months operations. As of couple of weeks ago I could not connect to AIM via Voicestream gateway. Appears to login (knocks off any other AIM client logged in) but either never receives or acknowledges connecting (i.e., connect then disconnect).

Called Voicestream customer service. People where hopelessly clueless. Don't think VS customer service is trained to answer any calls accept voice problems. I have called about SMS problems before...(60 to 90 min delays in deliver of messages)...got some shpeil<sp> about SMS not being a critical service. (can't wait to contract with Voicestream is up).

Anyway, tried installing SMS Chat 1.1...I am now successfully using AIM via Voicestream SMS again.

Too early to comment on plus/minus of two program's.

One short coming of SMS Chat....there is no buddy "online/offiline"indication for visible buddy ID on primary window. You have to click the drop down menu to see an X or O indication. I also don't think the buddy online/offline status automatically updates when you log in. Have to manually select "update status" from menu to update.

I'll give it a couple of days and provide feedback.
    Despite your appallingly offinsive icon, I am looking forward to trying out SMS chat on my 180, it's a fantastic idea, and I applaud you for your work (especially as donation-ware).

But I must weigh in with a note on the season so far. Yanks 2-0 (despite Jeter's injury) and Mets get whompped 15-2 with Glavine on the mound?!!

NY Yankees! America's Team!!

Peace,
    -mbd26
    Any Progress on a fix for the VisorPhone bug?

By the way, Once the crash occurs the device crashes when any SMS is received. This can be fixed by purging all the SMS messages on the device. Something in the SMS data file must get corrupted when that first SMS is received from SMS chat.

Joel
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast