Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Have been using SMS Chat v 1.1 for last couple of days vs Quick Chat for last 6 months. The following is my feedback

Like as compared to Quick Chat v 2.2:

1) When somone IM's and I'm in another application (cell phone or web) the prompt window actually allows me to reply without having to leave the other application.
    2) AIM Online/Offline, signal strength & battery indication is a nice touch at bottom right of screen
    3) Cleaner interface.
    4) It can login to AIM (but sometimes takes two attempts...not sure but maybe a Voicestream issue) vs. Quick Chat just out and out fails for last month.

Dislike as compared to Quick Chat:

1) aim password is visable in login screen vs. xxxxx'ing out
    2) buddy status "updating" does not seem to be dynamic (i.e., have to manually request update from drop down menu). Would be nice if buddy availability was checked when you first log in and once every X (x defined as option) to keep it current.
    3) buddy status "online/offline" indication not visable from mail menus (i.e., have to look at drop down menu to see X or O indication of buddy status).

techmgr
  2.    #22  
    Dislike as compared to Quick Chat:

1) aim password is visable in login screen vs. xxxxx'ing out
    2) buddy status "updating" does not seem to be dynamic (i.e., have to manually request update from drop down menu). Would be nice if buddy availability was checked when you first log in and once every X (x defined as option) to keep it current.
    3) buddy status "online/offline" indication not visable from mail menus (i.e., have to look at drop down menu to see X or O indication of buddy status).
    I'll get to fixing 1 and 3 in the next version. I don't think 2 is correct. At least for me, when I sign on, it updates my buddy statuses. It doesn't have to send out a request to do it - the response to the sign-on message includes buddy statuses. I'm pretty sure this works correctly for me. When you do an "update list" you have to then manually go and update statuses when that's done, though.

No progress yet on the Visorphone issue, but I haven't had much time to work on it. I'm hoping to get to it this weekend.
    Last edited by metsfan; 05/13/2003 at 11:17 AM.
    Units - Unit conversion for webOS!
    Treo 180->270->600->650->Blackberry Pearl->Palm Pre
    Metsfan,

Thanks for the follow up. I'll keep my eyes open for a new release. I'd be happy to beta anything you want.

Joel
    metsfan;

Thanks for the reply. I'll recheck buddy list updating and let you know.

While your "taking feature requests"...

Would be nice if the treo jog button could close the pop's like "aim online" or "logged off" etc.

techmgr
    Hello,

Just checking in to say there's interest in SMS Chat for the Visorphone. (long live the Visorphone!)

Thanks,

AndyN
    I second that.... Long live the VisorPhone!

If I could just get 32mb of RAM into my Prism (at 16 now) I'd be set for life. The replacement battery I installed has cured the short battery life I was experiencing with my aging Prism and should buy me a couple of years at least.

Joel

p.s. I am also still hoping for a fix for SMS Chat!
  7.    #27  
    I was about to post a message about how I was still having no luck getting it to work on the Visorphone, but decided to try one more fix first, and got it working.

I haven't finished all the features I want for the next version yet, but I'm posting a beta here so all you Visorphone users can check it out.

New in 1.2b:
    • Visorphone support!
    • Fixed bug where message text would get moved from input field to conversation window when there was an error sending the message
    • Fixed bug where statuses wouldn't get updated on sign-on sometimes
    • Mask password
    • Show buddy's status in the pulldown menu trigger

ToDo: Edit menu (cut/copy/paste...)

I think that's actually the only thing I want to finish for 1.2 final.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    This is really sweet!! For such a tiny app it really works beautifully. I occaisionally experience delays in updating the status or receiving replies, but I think this is mostly T-Mobile's SMS system bogging down at times. I notice that the AOL IM SMSs no longer show up in the SMS list in the visorphone's built in app. I like this alot!! I also really like the little pop-up dialog box you get when you are in another app and receive an AOL IM.

Great Work!!

Thanks. I look forward to the edit function so I can clear out the conversation when I am done.

Joel
    Loaded smschat 1.1 beta overtop of 1.1, everything working good at this point. Like that password no longer shows during login and status of current buddy now shows.

Most wanted "new features"

Treo 270 toggle button support (close out logon and other prompts without having to open flip cover).

Haven't figured out how to clear out old text in a buddies window.

A little color support, some icon support, simple html help file and your ready to start charging for software!!

techmgr
    Just installed it. Working great. Love the program, so much better than QuickChat
    thanks!
    Tried out ver 1.2b yesterday while watching Mets lose at Shea stadium yesterday. Using Treo 180 on Tmobile. Program worked great- Mets stunk. I actually like it better than Quick Chat. Way to go Mets fan!
    Last edited by gblyn; 04/20/2003 at 12:54 PM.
    Originally posted by gblyn
    Tried out ver 1.2b yesterday while watching Mets lose at Shea stadium yesterday. Using Treo 180 on Tmobile. Program worked great- Mets stunk. I actually like it better than Quick Chat. Way to go Mets fan!
    Uhh, Armando sucks.

Hopefully he is getting his blown saves out early and get his head out his a## soon.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
  13.    #33  
    Yeah, he's been terrible. Even the saves he has gotten he's let two runners on base. How long before John Franco can pitch again?

As for SMS Chat, I should hopefully have the a real release out by the end of the week.
    Can you make so if youre in another app and you get a message. That you can type your message in, and hit Chat. This way you send that message and switch to SMS chat? thanks
    Right now if you type something in and hit chat, you switch to the app and lose your reply

Wonderful app by the way!
  15.    #35  
    Originally posted by bigdaddyajay
    Can you make so if youre in another app and you get a message. That you can type your message in, and hit Chat. This way you send that message and switch to SMS chat? thanks
    Right now if you type something in and hit chat, you switch to the app and lose your reply

Wonderful app by the way!
    What I was going to do was make it so if you type a message in there and hit chat, it would fill that message in to the input area in SMS Chat, and let you send it from there.

Also, I have to figure out something to do when you get a message from a buddy not on your list, type a reply, and then hit add. Not sure how that's going to work. Right now, it adds, but doesn't send the message. I think maybe when you click Add or Send from that screen, it'll do it, and then make that button disappear from the list... so if you click Add, it'll send the SMS to add a buddy, and then give you the same form with just the Send and Close buttons, with your message still there. Maybe.
    Last edited by metsfan; 05/13/2003 at 11:18 AM.
    Originally posted by metsfan

What I was going to do was make it so if you type a message in there and hit chat, it would fill that message in to the input area in SMS Chat, and let you send it from there.

Also, I have to figure out something to do when you get a message from a buddy not on your list, type a reply, and then hit add. Not sure how that's going to work. Right now, it adds, but doesn't send the message. I think maybe when you click Add or Send from that screen, it'll do it, and then make that button disappear from the list... so if you click Add, it'll send the SMS to add a buddy, and then give you the same form with just the Send and Close buttons, with your message still there. Maybe.
    Sounds great! Also is there anyway to put up an away message?

ajay
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12