Page 1 of 10 123456 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Check this out:

Palm Net 1.0

http://www.palmgear.com/software/sho...8&prodID=48121

Haven't used it myself, but it looks like Scott Gruby has some competition.

Regards,
    --Mathew
    T750 w/Cingular
    Black Jawbone
  3.    #3  
    Yeah but this seems like the more appropriate forum since it is 300 specific.

Besides, who reads any other forums

cheers,
    --Mathew
    you got a point. both of you!
    I have been a WirelessModem user and quite happy with it on my WinXP and IrComm. Not so fast but otherwise works well.
    PalmNet is exteamly easy to use and the program hadles all the dialup networking details for you. Nice. The speed is great too. Ping time as short as 297 ms - the best I've got so far with SPCS vision with any vision phones!
    However, so far it keeps disconnecting, sending my WinXP to blue screen and rebooting my Treo. Shown in the other thread, the tricks to make it work are:
    1) Uninstall IrComm, if you have it, and reboot before you start PalmNet.
    2) Use Buttons-T to assign PalmNet to the jog button, so you can start it while the lid is closed. Otherwise it shutts off when you close the lid.
    3) If the connection goes dead, click any button on your Treo to close the PalmNet, then click the jog button again to start it. If you restart the connection on your laptop side, your Treo will be crashed.

At its current status, I won't register it. It works, but not ready as a product. Consider it is the very first V1.0 release, it is a great work and the problems will be fixed for sure. The programmer has done the hardest part very well - the speed, other problems we are having are not a big deal and should be easy to fix as long as the programmer gets more time. I'll register then.

BTW, get the USB hotsync & charging cable for only $10 (shipping included) from peakcloudy on ebay, you can then use your Treo as a modem all day long because the cable also charges the Treo by USB. The cable also has a hotsync button like the original Treo cable. He also sells a battery extender/charger, which uses 4-AA batteries, another must for Treo. Get the two once as I did to save few bucks on shipping.
    Last edited by Fixup; 03/16/2003 at 02:05 PM.
    The latest version of Palmnet is 1.1. I've tested it out on my desktop computer and it works really well. The only time it disconnected is when my treo lost the network connection. The speeds vary but for the most part it feels about the same as a 56k modem. I currently don't have a laptop but now that there is a USB/Windows wireless modem solution, I think I might get one! Oh and the latest FAQ is at http://www.junefabrics.com/palmnet/faq.php?v=11

~Lemieux66
    I have been using PalmNet for a couple of days now and it works very well. I get about twice the speed of my 56k dail up. Used it to download some very large files from Kazaa just last night and it worked flawlessly. The only issue I had with Kazaa was my connection would drop if someone would try to get a file from my system. Another very important issue is you MUST exit the hotsync manager before you try to connect on a XP system or the system will crash and have to be restarted. I don't know if you will have the same problem on other operating systems but exit it just to be safe. Other than those small issues, it is a very good app that needs a little work before it can be called a great app.

One more thing...How do you place a picture next to your post on this message board?
    Originally posted by Lemieux66
    I currently don't have a laptop but now that there is a USB/Windows wireless modem solution, I think I might get one!
    If I didn't already have a laptop, I think I would have swooped down on a compusa special: $799 mobile P4-1.8 which puts my 1 year old $799 celeron 1.06 to shame.
    David
    actually you can connect palmnet then shut the lid without it disconnecting. just tap connect and quick close the lid and it shouldn't disconnect. and I think version 1.1 fixes this minor bug anyway.
    Originally posted by Fixup
    However, so far it keeps disconnecting, sending my WinXP to blue screen and rebooting my Treo. Shown in the other thread, the tricks to make it work are:
    1) Uninstall IrComm, if you have it, and reboot before you start PalmNet.
    2) Use Buttons-T to assign PalmNet to the jog button, so you can start it while the lid is closed. Otherwise it shutts off when you close the lid.
    3) If the connection goes dead, click any button on your Treo to close the PalmNet, then click the jog button again to start it. If you restart the connection on your laptop side, your Treo will be crashed.
    [/B]
    All the above problems have been fixed with the release of PalmNet version 1.1, which is much more stable then version 1.0. Visit http://www.junefabrics.com/palmnet for an upgrade. Pay attention to the update history section on the page.

--PalmNet Support Guy
    PdaNet(PalmNet) Support
    Let your PC go online using Treo
    <a href="http://www.junefabrics.com/palmnet">http://www.junefabrics.com/palmnet</a>
    Installation was smooth as silk. No error messages and liked how it said it would launch hotsync manager if a sync is initiated from the handheld. Normally, I'm not going to hotsync with my laptop as I have palm desktop setup on my desktop. Doesn't appear to be anything wrong with syncing with 2 computers as I never enter data on he computer, rather I'm updating data throughout the day on the treo which simply needs to be backed up at the end of the day.

Now I'm anxious to do some surfing with 1.1!!!
    David
    Using 1.1 now. No major problems so far. The connection still drops when inactive for a couple of minutes and I still get disconnected when sharing on Kazaa.( been using Kazaa to test PalmNet stability)
    whats the diff. if you buy the program? is this a 30 day trial or something?
    Downloaded the V1.1 and all the problems are gone. Great job!

One little thing I found: when I start hotsync, the PalmNet trys to load HotSync Manager, but my Treo times out before PalmNet loaded HM. Anybody else saw this, or my laptop is too slow (266mHz)? This is a very handy feature.
    Just installed PalmNet 1.1. As a previous WirelessModem user, all I can say is WOW! PalmNet is fast over USB. I am getting over 150Kbps! This is the true speed, because I just tried FTPing something to my computer. I used to get about 50Kbps using WirelessModem. Plus the latency seems much lower, meaning faster responses to any IP request, which helps especially w/ web browsing.
    One tip: make sure you reboot your PC before you try to connect. Mine refused to dial and connect before I did that.

Even thought it says "9.6 kbps" in the system tray, I did a test at http://bandwidthplace.com/speedtest/index.html
    and it reported 112 kbps.
    Bought and registered. Worked fine out of the box. With the travel USB charger, should be an awesome solution for those on the go and traveling.
    Need some help with Palmnet 1.1

Installed as per directions but it wouldn't work.

It setup as PalmNet modem on Com 7, but in device manager is showing up witht he dreaded yellow not working symbol. Version 1.1 said it solved the IrComm conflict but my error says that there is a problem with the driver.

I guess I should uninstall IrComm but if I can't get this to work I'll have to reinstall as I was using Wireless Modem via the IR port.

Thanks in advance.
    Originally posted by mymy1
    Need some help with Palmnet 1.1

Installed as per directions but it wouldn't work.

It setup as PalmNet modem on Com 7, but in device manager is showing up witht he dreaded yellow not working symbol. Version 1.1 said it solved the IrComm conflict but my error says that there is a problem with the driver.

I guess I should uninstall IrComm but if I can't get this to work I'll have to reinstall as I was using Wireless Modem via the IR port.

Thanks in advance.
    Version 1.1 does not solve the IrComm conflict, instead the installer will detect IrComm and prompt you to uninstall it. So yes you still have to uninstall IrComm before you start the installation.
    PdaNet(PalmNet) Support
    Let your PC go online using Treo
    <a href="http://www.junefabrics.com/palmnet">http://www.junefabrics.com/palmnet</a>
    Originally posted by Eddie Hui

Version 1.1 does not solve the IrComm conflict, instead the installer will detect IrComm and prompt you to uninstall it. So yes you still have to uninstall IrComm before you start the installation.
    I never saw the message about IrComm when I installed, but sure enough with IrComm uninstalled it worked perfectly. Just did a test and got 128k bandwith.

Thanks for your prompt response.
Page 1 of 10 123456 ... LastLast