Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast
    When I run it, the pop-up window in XP says 9.6 kbps, which is the default, not 69 mbps. As far as throughput is concerned, are you sure you are correctly distinguishing bits from bytes? It's 8 of the former for each of the latter. I usually get throughput of about 10 kilobytes per second, which translates to an 80 kilobit per second connection.
    Curtis...

You're right I was just being lazy I'm getting 65kbps...sometimes up to 9K per second on downloads. This put it faster that a landline modem where I generally get around 48kbs.

My DSL connection will generally get me abour 150K per second on download which is about 1.2mbs

...ken
    I have not seen bandwidth improvement with the new firmware. I have however noticed that the latency has been reduced. It must be some of the new error correction code that bring the data through quicker.
    Originally posted by richlee91
    Could there be a way to turn off all of the XP popups that occur? It's annoying to have them on boot up and then two on connection.
    It is probably a bug that the popups never go away automatically. Anyway there will be an option to turn it off totally next beta.
    You win :-)
    PdaNet(PalmNet) Support
    Let your PC go online using Treo
    <a href="http://www.junefabrics.com/palmnet">http://www.junefabrics.com/palmnet</a>
    Ken, I thought your post was on the money. I was really responding to rmacphee. One other note: I have found the same reduced latency as richlee91 since the firmware change. By the seat of my pants I would say it's about twice as good as before (or half as bad, depending on how you look at it ;-).

Curt
    Hi, I'm looking for PN 1.1 because after reading all these posts I feel it drops the least. And do I have to pay for PN or is there any where I can download it for free? Well, if anyone has the program (1.1) my email is tse79@yahoo.com so we can discuss there.

Otherwise, is the 2.02 version worth it? I hate any connection that drops, I wouldn't pay for anything that drops. I have Win XP and USB data cable, how are the results for people? Is it better than buying one of those wireless phone jacks and plugging into an outlet and connecting to my company's free ISP? I heard those phone jacks aren't too solid either.
    I am very impressed if it is possible to regularly acheive 10kBps. I just tried it again, the first test site (MegaPath) still doens't work, but LinkLine did. My best bandwidth was 50kbps down, 30 kbps up, but most of my other use certainly did not seem that good. I have 2 bars of signal.

Is there any tweaking to be done? XP doesn't report any compression in the PdaNet Modem Status box despite it being turned on in every location in the connection properties.

I don't know what version y'all are using, but I couldn't get anything to work up until the beta. The beta reports the connection bandwidth in XP as 69.8mbps. And it alternates between seeing the laptop and not on each connection, literally every other connection attempt fails.

-Rob
    Originally posted by josephtse
    Hi, I'm looking for PN 1.1 because after reading all these posts I feel it drops the least
    I have to admit we are having a hard time convincing people the connection drop is service related, not caused by the software itself. I believe (ignore me if I am wrong:-)) there is only one user on this thread that claims (multiple times) connection is better on 1.1, which I know is not true comparing 1.1 with 2.0. Actually the same issue is also reported on SamSung I330. One interesting fact: this does not happen to most users, and it could (rarely) start to happen all of a sudden with no client side changes.

Some users claim that updating the latest firmware (http://support.handspring.com/esuppo...tProducts=4417) will help to some degree.

We are trying to work around this issue in the latest beta (http://www.junefabrics.com/palmnet/beta.php), there is an option called "Keep Connection Alive" that you can check to see if helps. I hope user who are having the disconnection issue can give it a shot and feedback to beta@junefabrics.com (do not, if you could, post beta result on this thread :-)). Thanks!
    PdaNet(PalmNet) Support
    <a href="http://www.junefabrics.com/palmnet">http://www.junefabrics.com/palmnet</a>
    I have a wireless LAN at home, but want to use Palm Net while traveling. How do I set up my internet connection options to switch back and forth?
    Originally posted by convbcuda
    I have a wireless LAN at home, but want to use Palm Net while traveling. How do I set up my internet connection options to switch back and forth?
    You don't need to do anything to switch, when and only when you tab PdaNet to connect, it will use PdaNet, otherwise it will fallback to what you have originally.
    PdaNet(PalmNet) Support
    Originally posted by Eddie Hui

You don't need to do anything to switch, when and only when you tab PdaNet to connect, it will use PdaNet, otherwise it will fallback to what you have originally.
    Thanks. After fiddling with it for a while, I got everything to work. I don't get a good Vision connection at home, but it seemed to work well.

What's the latest on Sprint charging extra for people who use the Treo as a modem? Weren't some people being charged extra?
    After running the firmware update I got speeds up to 90kbps.... This was not average but I have downloaded a couple of files and got speeds above that even... This is very suprising seeing that I only have one bar while getting these speeds...

I was using Cnet bandwidth meter...

Mobile_Bob
    Running Cnet bandwitch meter before class the other night I got 166. That was really suprising to me because I only had 1 bar and it took a good minute to load the web page on my laptop.
    I don't think Cnet's bandwith meter is a very acurate test. When I run it at work I have seen it hit 4mb in the hight of the work day.

At any rate the SW works great!!! I'm very pleased with it!
    I installed the eval today. This is a great product!

A couple of shortcomings w/ the Treo though. When I have Palmnet running, connected via USB to the sync/charger, the Treo was not charging, or at least it was not indicating a charge on the Treo display. This would obvioulsy be a problem.

Thoughts/Advise?

Thanks!!
    If you are using the cable that came with the Treo, try plugging the charging part into the wall. The stock USB cable alone does not support charging (that's why you plug half of it into the wall). If you want your laptop to charge the Treo, you have to get an aftermarket cable. Do a search and you'll find several.
    Now when I look at the Treo, it shows that it's charging..

Thanks

BTW: I got a measure ment using Cnet's Bandwith Meter of 253 Kbps!!!!!

Can that be right?!
    Originally posted by sleddog
    BTW: I got a measure ment using Cnet's Bandwith Meter of 253 Kbps!!!!!

Can that be right?!
    I think Cnet Bandwidth meter is misleading. The theoretical max transfer rate of 1xrtt is only 144 Kbps packet data speeds. I recall reading in the treocentral article about bmeter that SprintPCS servers cache artificially increases downloads measurements...
    Many bandwidth tests send a picture of a given size (call it 144 kilobits). If the transfer is done in a second, you get 144 kbs. The thing with Vision is the servers compact the image (say it compresses by half to 77 kilobits). That transfer will be done in .5 seconds, but calculation is still being run off the 144 kilobits, and thus you get unrealistic results. If you look at webpages viewed in with PDAnet they look slightly different and this is a result of the servers compacting the images.
    One way to get an approximate transfer speed that is not dependent on proxy server compression is to send yourself an e-mail with a large file attachment of a known size and simply time the download. The file will not go through Sprint's proxy servers, so no compression will be applied. Also, a few of the bandwidth test sites use MP3 or Zip files, which are not passed through the proxies. I'll try to find out which and post some URL's later on.
    I am going on vacation and would love to be able get this for my laptop before I go. Palm Gear does not show this ... any idea where I can get it?

Thanks!

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast