Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast
    Just tried it - Ver 1.1 - and this is great! I plan on taking it on an upcoming trip and if it works well on the road, I'll definitely buy it. No more dial up from the hotel room!
    Originally posted by jhaglund
    ooret

that is not a problem with palmnet; it is a problem with you making a button press the access. a bit too lazy and we don't need Eddy working on this problem when there are other things he is looking at. If you need it on a button, use t-button instead of button and you will get what you want (blue shift button) and you will not get inadvertant activation
    Jhaglund, I strongly disagree and resent your suggestion that this is just about being lazy.

Like 003orut, I have assigned Palmnet to a hard button for two reasons. 1) It is rapidly becoming the app I use the most on my Treo, and 2) I want the program to run as easily as possible to make setup and connection (or reconnection) a simple process. Also like 003orut, I do occasionally hit the wrong button and find that the cancel button does not work and you have to wait for the attempt to find a connection to time out.

I have purchased PalmNet at this point and would like Eddie to at least investigate why PalmNet can't be forcibly shut down during the connection stage... it might be a limitation of data services (I've noticed a similar lack of response while waiting for a connection from Sprint and other applications which need to connect to Sprint's data network to function) but I at least want an explanation.

Please note I am not using 1.1 yet.. if this issue has been fixed there, please let me know and I'll upgrade immediately.

James
    you forgot to read or understand the suggestion that was made which cures the problem with getting huffy. just use t-button instead of the assignment to a single button. If you can't press the blue button first and then the bottom button, I think I can find some people that might agree on the lazy issue. I had this same problem of inadvertent activation because I carry the Treo in my pocket---------after using the t-button assignment it has never happenned and I get the fast activation desired by pressing the blue button and then the hard button.

Maybe you don't know about t-button???
    JON
    Originally posted by jhaglund
    you forgot to read or understand the suggestion that was made which cures the problem with getting huffy.
    I understood fine. Perhaps you didn't read or understand my comment for wanting to keep this as simple as possible. To put it bluntly, I want to be able to activate Palm Net without having to open the unit, which pressing the blue button would necessitate.

As you have undoubtedly noticed, when Palm Net is initially run it auto-connects, which enables you to do a one-touch connection to the internet. Opening the unit and pressing the blue button would require additional movements, which, while you may say are motivated by laziness, are just a way to make it simple. If it were two vs. three steps, I wouldn't be laboring this point, but as Amazon can attest to the value of one-click shopping, I too see the value of one vs. two+ steps, as long as if you do the one-step inadvertantly, you can quickly recover.

James
    Originally posted by 003oret
    there is a minor problem with palmnet; I have it configured to a hard button and if I accidentally hit that without having usb connected or especially in a phone call, i'll hit cancel but it will still try to connect. while on the phone this is a problem. it takes a full minute to time itself out then when it does, the phone "in-call" screen cannot be reached and the phone cannot be hung up. the "cancel" button should be fixed especially while in a call. palmnet should not be able to be loaded while in a call anyway. eddie, you listening? anyone else can verify this problem?
    The button I use is the jog dial, and it will only load PalmNet if the lid is closed and the screen is off. The phone app's jog functions take priority when it is loaded.

My suggestion would be for PalmNet to agressively stay connected by automatically reconnecting unless the disconnect button is pressed on the treo side.
    David
    Now there is a PalmNet 2.0 SP1. I am running it now. Have customized PalmNet modem to disable netbios over tcp/ip and enabled xp firewall and it's working great! (albeit with the usual connection drops - gotta keep that radio running)
    David
    After modifying the network settings in PalmNet modem (customized) I was initially confused by the dialup box prompting for username, password in v.2 SP1, but put username@sprintpcs.com for the user and vision password for the password. Then I clicked the box to save the password. Then, so I wouldn't see the box anymore I unchecked "prompt for name, password, certificate" and "prompt for phone number" in PalmNet modem (customized) options. Now it autodials without prompting for that stuff.

The speed of this version is fast, and I don't need a test to tell me that. How it feels is more important than test results.
    David
    Originally posted by drw
    [B]but put username@sprintpcs.com for the user and vision password for the password. Then I clicked the box to save the password.
    You shouldn't need to fill in the user name and password.
    PdaNet(PalmNet) Support
    Let your PC go online using Treo
    <a href="http://www.junefabrics.com/palmnet">http://www.junefabrics.com/palmnet</a>
    Originally posted by Eddie Hui
    PalmNet version 2.0 released today. The most significant change is to support Treo 270/180. For Treo 300 users, the only difference is that it adds the feature to support your own dialup ISP through the Treo modem. If you don't need this feature then there is no need to upgrade.

Taken from our faq page:

Q:Can I dial-up to my own ISP using Treo as a wireless modem? How?

A:Yes you can with version 2.0! First make sure you have already created a dial-up connection entry for your ISP and it have been working correctly. Now click on the PalmNet tray icon and check the entry name of your ISP under the Dial-up Connections popup menu. Next time when you connect PalmNet, it will automatically dial-up using the ISP entry you specified through Treo modem. It does this by temporarily changing the modem of the entry to "PalmNet Modem" and switch back after disconnected so you don't have to create a seperate dial-up entry just to use the wireless modem. Since this is not going through the default Wireless Data Service (PCS Vision or GPRS), you might incur air minute charges.
    ------------------
    I am very happy with the ease of use and speed of PalmNet on my Compaq-E400 laptop, Win2000.

(I purchased WirelessModem but was only marginally successful. I’m just a power-user, not a techie.
    I feel a bit like a traitor as I followed the WM saga daily since October. I may still use it on my older W98 laptop. Great cutting edge product and support Scott. How do you collect royalties on “innovations”?)

I dialed in last night using PalmNet 2.0 (04/04/2003) to my company's private network. It worked just fine. It's faster than dial-up and I was able to work my email, ect. without problems. Also, I use the awesome USB+Serial sync/Charger Cable from accessorydirect on ebay($14.95). It connects and charges! I wish I found this when I first bought the Treo300.

I noticed the PalmNet warning that charges may apply. I was concerned about minutes & charges since I had to enter my dial-up number.

Today I checked my usage on Sprint https://manage1.sprintpcs.com/Manage...ls&action=home
    and noticed a new line item. See table:

Included---Used---Remaining---Additional Used
    ---800-------148-------652------------0
    Off-peak-----50-----------0------------0
    CASUAL USE PCS WIRELESS WEB MINUTES
    ----0-----------41-----------0----------41

41 minutes “Additional Usage”!
    But at what rate?
    If it's $0.40/min that's an additional $16.40!
    Yet, I have 652 unused "regular" minutes?

Since I won't know for sure until I receive my bill, I will not be dialing in to the office via Treo300 any time soon. Unless I can get confirmation that this is just a tracking device.

Has anyone been billed for this type of usage yet?
    For fun & profit & Christ,
    TWF in Chicago
    Originally posted by tomfurie

------------------
    I am very happy with the ease of use and speed of PalmNet on my Compaq-E400 laptop, Win2000.

(I purchased WirelessModem but was only marginally successful. I’m just a power-user, not a techie.
    I feel a bit like a traitor as I followed the WM saga daily since October. I may still use it on my older W98 laptop. Great cutting edge product and support Scott. How do you collect royalties on “innovations”?)

I dialed in last night using PalmNet 2.0 (04/04/2003) to my company's private network. It worked just fine. It's faster than dial-up and I was able to work my email, ect. without problems. Also, I use the awesome USB+Serial sync/Charger Cable from accessorydirect on ebay($14.95). It connects and charges! I wish I found this when I first bought the Treo300.

I noticed the PalmNet warning that charges may apply. I was concerned about minutes & charges since I had to enter my dial-up number.

Today I checked my usage on Sprint https://manage1.sprintpcs.com/Manage...ls&action=home
    and noticed a new line item. See table:

Included---Used---Remaining---Additional Used
    ---800-------148-------652------------0
    Off-peak-----50-----------0------------0
    CASUAL USE PCS WIRELESS WEB MINUTES
    ----0-----------41-----------0----------41

41 minutes “Additional Usage”!
    But at what rate?
    If it's $0.40/min that's an additional $16.40!
    Yet, I have 652 unused "regular" minutes?

Since I won't know for sure until I receive my bill, I will not be dialing in to the office via Treo300 any time soon. Unless I can get confirmation that this is just a tracking device.

Has anyone been billed for this type of usage yet?
    Yes, I was billed for these last month, something like 39 or 40 cents/min.
    Originally posted by kattanm

Yes, I was billed for these last month, something like 39 or 40 cents/min.
    Likewise...
    Just looking at my current invoice online now. I have no additional charges. Just the $85 charge for 2000 minutes of anytime calling and unlimited vision. I'll keep an eye on it though, with the amount of time that I use PalmNet things could get really ugly for me if I got hit with a bill!

Dunc
    I believe charges apply whenever you dial a number (modem) for a data service. As long as you are connecting to the internet directly through Vision, you should not see any charges. This is the default connection method for PalmNet. If your corporate network allows you to connect using a VPN and broadband access, then you should be able to connect just fine through Vision using PalmNet. If you have to dial into an RAS or other modem-based access point (in other words, if you have to enter a telephone number into PalmNet), you're not going to be able to get around the per minute charges.
    Originally posted by Eddie Hui

You shouldn't need to fill in the user name and password.
    Ok, next time I'll leave those fields blank. Thanks..
    David
    I registered this today - I sure hope you get rich off this app, it's awesome.

Any word on improvements or anything in the next version?
    Originally posted by akahn
    I registered this today - I sure hope you get rich off this app, it's awesome.

Any word on improvements or anything in the next version?
    Lots of good stuff coming out from us, of course! However we try not to specify before we have it in beta in case development priority changed.
    PdaNet(PalmNet) Support
    <a href="http://www.junefabrics.com/palmnet">http://www.junefabrics.com/palmnet</a>
    i'm using 2.0 palmnet. it sucks. i get disconnects every 10 seconds. i can't download music from kazaa. webpages with heavy graphics causes many disconnects. this was not true with version 1.1. does anyone have version 1.1 they could post or send me? i tried customer support but noone returned my email. eddie you reading this, can you please send me version 1.1? thanx.

elcid1pl@yahoo.com
    can you please send me version 1.1? thanx.
    version 1.1 was taken off the web site, but you can still download it from PalmGear or Handango.

But version 2.0 is almost exactly the same as 1.1 as for Treo 300, I doubt it is network condition. Please let us know if 1.1 does show a better connection. Anyone else seeing this problem with 2.0 as well? Thx
    PdaNet(PalmNet) Support
    For all users (expecially those who have been through our beta testings), when you install a different version of PalmNet , it is recommended that you delete the previous PalmNet.prc from the PDA first (since the uninstaller doesn't remove the program from your PDA).

Just in case Hotsync thinks the original one is "newer" than the one being installed and do not update. You don't want a miss-matched version of desktop and prc.
    PdaNet(PalmNet) Support
    does anyone have version 1.1 they could post or send me?
    check your inbox...
    David
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast