Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Originally posted by Fixup
    Nothing new in BoysenC's post and won't work for Treo 300 because no independant USB driver yet. Too bad PalmNet does not offer us one. Scott should ask Eddie to make a separate USB driver and it'll be a perfect world.

For how to use vision phones as a modem, my article is more comprehensive:

http://www.xintechs.com/tips/wireless

Some tips for Treo 300 too.
    Eddie already posted part of the driver (as requried by the GNU license agreement) at: <http://www.junefabrics.com/pnetcom/>. I have yet to install the compiled executable and see how it works in conjunction with the USB driver that Handspring ships (it's on my list of things to do; a friend of mine compiled the driver for me). I think what Eddie has added to the mix is the ease of use of switching between HotSync and modem mode. Without that integration, I'm not sure that the driver does a whole lot of good, unless users want to load and unload the driver by hand.
    Nothing new in BoysenC's post and won't work for Treo 300 because no independant USB driver
    It's great that we have a working XP/USB solution in PalmNet. I have previously checked out your website. Lots of valuable information.
    David
    Finally it is working. The only thing I did was take out the phone secuty code.

Thanks All
    When do we get to see a new version of Palnet?
    After going through this thread twice, I noticed that a user mentioned getting disconnected after about 20 mins of useage, or 1mb of downloading. Im getting the same problem. Id be more than happy to purchase if this is fixed, and if its a problem on my end, I was wondering if someone could tell me what to do to fix it, because I See no solution as of yet. Thanks in advance for the replies.

Update: when I hit reply i got kicked again. Isnt that ironic
    Originally posted by Kaczman
    getting disconnected after about 20 mins of useage, or 1mb of downloading.
    I think it's a Sprint thing as I can get disconnected in the middle of a Blazer session on the Treo itself. Regarding PalmNet, I can get a dead connection for in the first few moments, or during any moment of inactivity. Therefore, the first thing I do is start a low bandwidth radio stream if I plan to do more reading than surfing.
    David
    I just realized that ive been getting kicked after 30 mins of being connected to palmnet, 3 different times now. Is this a spring issue only, or could it be somthing on my end?
    For a test I stayed connected for about 10 hours on my treo, I just kept my outlook express open and had it check for email every 1 minute. Then I downloaded several files until I hit the 5mb download mark and every thing was fine. I work very closely with my sprint rep, and she says it probably has to do with your service in your area. I am in Maryland right now and I've tested the longevity of this connection here and in New Jersey and both seem to be great.
    Hope that helps,
    Dan

And on another note I am running Win 2k pro.
    Kaczman -- I have continued to experience the dead silence issue and the spontaneous disconnects.

However, I think there's a possibility that there are two different issues. One having to do with Sprint dropping the connection, and the second (as drw mentioned) having to do with the lack of response you receive after connection or after a period of inactivity.

The first one I am still trying to determine the cause of, although it may have something to do with signal strength. I've noticed that when I'm set up in a location with 3-4 bars, I almost never get dropped, but if it's 1-2 bars (or fluctuating wildly) then I'm seeing more disconnects. I suppose this makes sense given that in weak signal areas you're lucky to get a consistent voice signal, so why should we expect more for data?

The second issue (lack of response) does seem to have something to do with Sprint. Apparently if you stop asking for data consistently, you'll lose the ability to get an instant response. Although this may be considered a poor analogy to you network folk, I think they may be architected something like a token ring environment, where you're given a token (or hopefully one of a bunch of tokens) which you get to keep as long as you're active (so streaming audio seem to work and keepalive apps do as well if it queries at least once every ten seconds) but if you lose your token you go back to the end of a line of people waiting for them.

I have found in the past week that if I have lost my token, it pays to be impatient. If I'm impatient (click a web link repeatedly until I start to get a response from the web server) then I seem to get my token back faster. I have also found that if I'm patient (click it once and just sit there) I will get disconnected about half of the time after a substantial delay (I guess one click doesn't register as enough activity).

Net result -- I have enjoyed much more consistent connections and have been able to download more than the 400k limit I was seeing before.

James
    I dont think that is the issue. I can be continously transfering data, and it seems to kick me off exactly after 30 mins. Any other ideas? I am running winxp pro also...
    Originally posted by Kaczman
    I dont think that is the issue. I can be continously transfering data, and it seems to kick me off exactly after 30 mins. Any other ideas? I am running winxp pro also...
    How many signal bars do you have, and have you experimented in different locations? I have a computer/tv setup in my bedroom. The moment I cross the threshold of my bedroom door, I lose a signal bar because of all the intereference. Similar deal if I want to go to sleep listening to AM talk radio. I have to turn equipment off to clear the noise out of the reception.
    David
    3 bars of signal strength, and i have tried different locations. As it turns out, i turned my treo in for service and got a new one today, mayb things will change. I will keep you updated.
    Well - I just had to put my two cents here.

1. I've been a loyal WirelessModem user for 5 months now - sitting on trains - in hotels, in airports, with my treo velcro'd to the back of my Laptop screen so the IR ports line up. Man was I the coolest. I got speeds of about 35K but who cares! I looked real cool. And I felt even more cool knowing that not anyone could figure out all the **** you have to do to get your Treo to act like a modem and transmit internet via IR. I mean, it took about three hours to configure and tweak.

2. And then I read this thread. I installed it at 9:35pm. I was up and connected by 9:41pm. It was so painless I wanted to cry.

3. And the speeds! Granted now I can't connect via IR (I see they are working on this on the FAQ site) and I don't look as cool - but I am getting 160Kbs at Bandwith.com, 270Kbs at DSL reports and 650Kbs on PCPitstop. I will deal with this freakin wire thang as long as I got speed.

4. I feel bad for Sccott. He made a great piece of software and it served me well - and I paid him for it. But now, I have found better.

5. When PalmNet allows you to use the IR port, I will get back to my velco thang and suck up on the slower speed that IR has - because it looks so cool and there is one less wire to deal with.

Good luck everyone - and I would like to take a moment to acknowledge Scott @ Notify Mail for pioneering this type of application and planting his flag in totally uncharted territory - Without folks like him - nothing wold ever be invented.
    Kudos.

Greg
    1. With WirelessModem, everytime I got an incomming call or I had a calendar item alarm go off - the connection between running application and the intenet would be severed. The work-around was cumbersome; I would have to turn voice mail notification off by calling my voicemail and clear all calendar appt. alarms if I know I was going to be on the internet for a while.

2. With PalmNet, the calendar alarms have no effect the the internet connection - and I tried calling my Treo from a land-line to see if it would interupt the connection - and my landline call was sent right to voicemail not interfering with anything.

This feature alone helps make the difference.

Cheers all - and enjoy your new found freedom!

Greg
    " And the speeds! Granted now I can't connect via IR (I see they are working on this on the FAQ site) and I don't look as cool - but I am getting 160Kbs at Bandwith.com, 270Kbs at DSL reports and 650Kbs on PCPitstop. I will deal with this freakin wire thang as long as I got speed."
    thats bull cause 650Kbs isnt possible and i have never heard of anyone getting 270kbs the max on the sprint network is 144kbps i believe
    ps no one cares about your 2 cents
    I had successfully tried out PalmNet last week in anticipation of a trip this week during which I ordinarily would have relied on dial-up. PalmNet has been great (and especially since I have three phones on my Sprint plan so I can still use one while connected to the net and leave another with my wife). My connections here in Orlando (previous successes were in NYC and northern New Jersey) have been steady and quick. I've had sessions hold the connection for several hours through 10-20 MB of traffic. Kudos to PalmNet's developer for providing what so many of us have wanted. BTW, speed is pretty good here in Orlando (actually Kissimmee). With two bars of service, I'm getting 60-80 kb throughput (about 8-11 KB/sec).
    PalmNet version 2.0 released today. The most significant change is to support Treo 270/180. For Treo 300 users, the only difference is that it adds the feature to support your own dialup ISP through the Treo modem. If you don't need this feature then there is no need to upgrade.

Taken from our faq page:

Q:Can I dial-up to my own ISP using Treo as a wireless modem? How?

A:Yes you can with version 2.0! First make sure you have already created a dial-up connection entry for your ISP and it have been working correctly. Now click on the PalmNet tray icon and check the entry name of your ISP under the Dial-up Connections popup menu. Next time when you connect PalmNet, it will automatically dial-up using the ISP entry you specified through Treo modem. It does this by temporarily changing the modem of the entry to "PalmNet Modem" and switch back after disconnected so you don't have to create a seperate dial-up entry just to use the wireless modem. Since this is not going through the default Wireless Data Service (PCS Vision or GPRS), you might incur air minute charges.
    PdaNet(PalmNet) Support
    Let your PC go online using Treo
    <a href="http://www.junefabrics.com/palmnet">http://www.junefabrics.com/palmnet</a>
    As previously requested in this thread some users hope to tweak the dialup networking settings for the wireless data connection dialup such as enabling network sharing or NetBEUI protocol. Now you can with this new feature in PalmNet 2.0...I will leave it to you to figure it out how to do that
    PdaNet(PalmNet) Support
    Let your PC go online using Treo
    <a href="http://www.junefabrics.com/palmnet">http://www.junefabrics.com/palmnet</a>
    there is a minor problem with palmnet; I have it configured to a hard button and if I accidentally hit that without having usb connected or especially in a phone call, i'll hit cancel but it will still try to connect. while on the phone this is a problem. it takes a full minute to time itself out then when it does, the phone "in-call" screen cannot be reached and the phone cannot be hung up. the "cancel" button should be fixed especially while in a call. palmnet should not be able to be loaded while in a call anyway. eddie, you listening? anyone else can verify this problem?
    ooret

that is not a problem with palmnet; it is a problem with you making a button press the access. a bit too lazy and we don't need Eddy working on this problem when there are other things he is looking at. If you need it on a button, use t-button instead of button and you will get what you want (blue shift button) and you will not get inadvertant activation
    JON