Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Wow...I installed 1.1 last right, and within seconds, I was co8ected and running.
    Granted, it's like a dialup connection (although it seems faster), but in a pinch it works great.
    Nice job of handling all the setup details...no user intervention or customizing needed.
    Very impressed, and highly recommended.

As for performance, I've used WM with a serial cable connect to a usb converter, and the speed is noticeably slower compared to PN.
    Scott, I can't attribute this just to the USB connection.

If you have XP, this is the way to go, esp if you are a newbie or just don't like spending time tweaking and testing.

I'm off to register...
    Originally posted by mikec
    As for performance, I've used WM with a serial cable connect to a usb converter, and the speed is noticeably slower compared to PN.
    Scott, I can't attribute this just to the USB connection.
    Actually you can. I ran a test of PalmNet (on Windows 2000 over USB) vs. WirelessModem (on Mac OS X over USB) at the same location (my office) and at the same time of day, and got almost identical results. The latest version of WirelessModem may provide some speed increases, but I was able to get well over 100 kbps several months ago on my Mac when I was in San Francisco.

It's great to see PalmNet filling in the gap where WirelessModem hasn't.
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    I recently broke my treo 300 and Sprint replaced it with a refurbished unit.

Now, when I connect to the internet, my treo dials my own cell number instead of #777. The connection works fine, however. So, I'm reluctant to change the settings. But I don't want to get charged like I'm calling into my voice mail.

Is this an update or am I getting screwed? My last bill seemed right. But it might not show up until the next. My minutes usage seems good, but *4 never gives a data usage estimate.

Anyone else getting on the Vision internet without dialing #777?
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Installed 1.1 but cannot connect (using W2K). Desktop shows (Error 797: Modem not found)

Treo shows (Error 773: Unable to connect to PalmNet Desktop on your PC.)

I'm using the combo serial / USB cable I bought for Wirelessmodem.

Also tried with Handspring USB/ charging cable that came with the T300.

Appreciate any help.

Warren C.
    Warren C.
    RealOne Player can test a connection in 'preferences'. I ran the test and it showed I have capability of 'dual isdn 128 Kbps'. I'm edging closer to subscribing to SuperPass as the free live audio/video content currently available is paltry compared to what was available during the bubble period. Wish XM sat radio had a 'web' option. In my work area we have DSL, but no TV and we are away from the computer. We have been following the war via CNN radio, but that's limited to rolling headlines as is MSNBC (which used to be the audio from the cable station).
    David
    I'd like to start off by saying that this app works better than I expected. This is strictly for a setup and interface standpoint since I appear to be having some sort of problem with my speeds. I noted this post from earlier:

Originally posted by Fixup
    PalmNet creates a dialup connection dynamically - only seen when connected. After you are connected, you can check that connection and see if it dials #777. It must do, because you'll notice a very slow connection if it is not #777.
    What worries me is that I am getting extremely slow speeds. Like 2-4k (that's a little k). I figure that Palmnet is doing what it's supposed to do, but I am questioning whether my phone is setup to dial the wrong number. This is a problem for two reasons. 1 - The speed is horrible and 2 - I don't want to get some outrageous bill. Please provide me with any incite you might have. I am very eager to get this baby working right. I recently bought a laptop that is scheduled to be delivered on Monday and I want to jump right in.

Oh yeah, I wanted to comment on a feature that hasn't really been focused on. I have DSL at home, but when I start up PalmNet I am automatically switched to the Palmnet modem. This is great, because I feared I would need to change my internet options to test this.

3 things that might be causing/adding to the problem:

1. DSL connection. (Probably a stretch)

2. Wireless router. (Possible interference, but I still get 2 signal bars and phone calls are fine.

3. NAT firewall built into router. (Seems unlikely since I am accesing the net, just slowly).

Help please!!!

Thanks.
    it has nothing to do with ur router cause they run a diff signal, and has nothing to do with ur network stuff, when ppl say they get 100Kb they are talkin about kilobits Kb, not kilobytes KB which i bet ur talkin about, so divide the 100Kb by 8 and you get the KB(kilobytes) so thats like 12 KB, not everyone gets the same speeds cause theres alot that factors in
    I was originally working from DSL reports test results (which shows kilobits and Kilobytes) and from a 15mb download. My speed was 4 kilobits and 0.5 Kilobytes which is way off from what everyone here posted. The dowload was running at about 1.2 Kilobytes (actually 9.6 kilobits). So my original post should have read 4-10 kilobits, still way below what I expected.

Since then I have disconnected and reconnected and now I am flying compared to standard dialup. I did learn (as others have said) you can't trust the DSLReports test. I did the bandwidthplace test (they have one specifically for slower connections) and I posted 119.5 kilobits. So I gave the download a try and it downloaded at about 5.7 Kilobytes (45.6 kilobits). This is more like what I expected. I am very pleased. I remember downloading from Napster back in the dial-up days. You were lucky to get 3.5-4 Kilobytes. I just downloaded the 15mb file in about 20-25 minutes. That's great because now I can access my personal FTP from anywhere. When I get my laptop I will see how accessing my PC through Gotomypc works.

Anyway, it appears that my phone needed to "warm up" or something. I don't mean this literally but in any event the second time worked like a charm.

Thanks
    Scott, I was referring to PN using XP and USB....WM over Win2K and USB might not produce the same result. Although the code bases are supposed to be the same, I get better USB perf. using XP than W2K. Not drastic, but noticable. So it may be an OS attribution rather than USB itself.
    Is there anyway to use PalmNet to dial up to corp network? If so can someone tell me how?
    I dial into my corporate network, several actually. Though I'm using various VPN clients on my laptop. I'm assuming that you're talking about RASing in - no VPN right? That wouldn't be included in your Vision data pool, that would come out of your monthly minutes I think. The PalmNet network properties (on your laptop) has a phone number in it - but it is defaulting to 777 for vision. You could try putting your RAS pool's number in there.

Dunc
    Originally posted by Dunc
    I dial into my corporate network, several actually. Though I'm using various VPN clients on my laptop. I'm assuming that you're talking about RASing in - no VPN right? That wouldn't be included in your Vision data pool, that would come out of your monthly minutes I think. The PalmNet network properties (on your laptop) has a phone number in it - but it is defaulting to 777 for vision. You could try putting your RAS pool's number in there.

Dunc
    This isn't possible as of version 1.1 as the number is hardcode and it didn't give you a chance to do any customization.
    PdaNet(PalmNet) Support
    Let your PC go online using Treo
    <a href="http://www.junefabrics.com/palmnet">http://www.junefabrics.com/palmnet</a>
    Just tested the software, and it works awesome! So I purchased a copy within 5 mins of testing it. Thanks for an awesome product.
    ~Dan
    Can someone please HELP!!! I want to purchase this item, however I seem to have an error. I meet all the requirements, the install goes fine but when I try to connect from my Treo 300 it get an error message “Unable to open Modem port (code = 28677)” and on my laptop (Sony Vaio) I get 688. I hit cancel but still no connect. I have rebooted and uninstalled (by the way, my XP gets the blue screen when I uninstalled) reinstalled your software but still not working. I downloaded the correct software C:\PalmNet11Setup.exe. (I don’t have Ircomm?).

These re the programs on my Treo 300

Snapper mail

ü DadeBK5

ü Pocket Journal by Chapura

ü Documents to go

ü Eudora email and web

Can you please help
    Franco
    Originally posted by Franco48
    error message “Unable to open Modem port (code = 28677)”
    All other errors are resulted from this error on the PDA. The error means something wrong with the modem in Treo, either settings or conflicts with other prc apps installed. Unfortunately we don't have a reproducible case in house no matter what we tried. Hopefully someone on this board have seen this and know how to get around.
    PdaNet(PalmNet) Support
    Let your PC go online using Treo
    <a href="http://www.junefabrics.com/palmnet">http://www.junefabrics.com/palmnet</a>
    be sure that hotsynch is not running. First hunch.

Scott Gruby has spent months curing these problems for people. Hopefully this support will be replicated for the USB product.
    JON
    Franco, did you try soft resetting your treo? (not that it would help, but it's worth trying)
    Originally posted by mharpen
    I've looked through all the FAQS and threads, and do not see that anyone else gets this error. When I install PalmNet on WinXP (with Palm desktop and hotsync mgr installed), it does fine until it gets to the bottom of the installation checked off items when it gives the error "Fail to install the .prc file". I have my Palm Desktop folder on my D: drive and not in the default location. I'm wondering if that is the problem. Anyone have any idea? I have no problems installing other Treo 300 software and .prc files. Thanks. I've already emailed the PalmNet author and am waiting for a reply. Thanks.
    Yeah, I've seen this as I posted on another thread. After exiting the install by ending the task and manually installing the .prc file, it installs. Running the program doesn't work though as it reboots my computer upon start of the modem program. The developer is aware, but I don't know if he can reproduce it or if enough people have the problem to make it a priority.
    Has anyone tried the method described here at sprintusers.com whereby BoysenC used the modem driver in SprintPCS connection software, and a correct guess at the USB COM port # to setup a modem, then use that modem to setup a network connection. BoysenC has an i330 and I was curious if the same method would work with a Treo 300. To connect, he double clicks the network connection he setup and the i330's phone display says "data call".
    David
    Nothing new in BoysenC's post and won't work for Treo 300 because no independant USB driver yet. Too bad PalmNet does not offer us one. Scott should ask Eddie to make a separate USB driver and it'll be a perfect world.

For how to use vision phones as a modem, my article is more comprehensive:

http://www.xintechs.com/tips/wireless

Some tips for Treo 300 too.