Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Originally posted by Fixup
    Yes my screen dims too, but is this what you meant the backlight turned off? Based on my experience with laptops, diming the light does not save the battery much and is very bad for the light life.
    Turning off back light is something unique to PDAs (not to be confused with dimming the light on laptops). When you make a phone call with Treo 300, after the call is connected the back light of the screen (and the keypad) will be turned off, we use the same machanism and it should be a very good thing instead
    PdaNet(PalmNet) Support
    Let your PC go online using Treo
    <a href="http://www.junefabrics.com/palmnet">http://www.junefabrics.com/palmnet</a>
    I see. If PDAs are designed like that and one cannot turn off the backlight, it is a big flaw IMO.
    With the screen dim can the image still burn in after hours of use and Palmnet can dim the screen and turn it off?

Also does anyone know if future version of Palmnet will require hotsync? It would be nice to just have the driver and the app so I can do quick installs on to others laptops w/o installing hotsync.
    Las Vegas - I was at the Aladin hotel last night with some friends, there is a desktop computer in each room which charges you something like $1/minute to go online. You cann't use your laptop to go online either because the call minute of the phoneline in the room is equally expensive. One of my friend is getting ready to pay the blood sucker and use the room computer to check his email and saying something about how to do it fast so that he will not get charged too much.

"oh me too", I said, comfortablly layed back on the bed, pulled out my laptop and Treo 300 with USB connect, and press the PDA button I already assigned to PalmNet. Within 10 seconds I was already checking out the NBA web site...as "slow" as I want

I wish you could have a look at their faces...
    palmnet on my phone gets 7.6K per second. very consistant. This is 4 times faster then WMODEM over IR to a p4 laptop. USB is the way 2 go and 7k/s wireless access is REALLY amazing for $10 a month!
    I've looked through all the FAQS and threads, and do not see that anyone else gets this error. When I install PalmNet on WinXP (with Palm desktop and hotsync mgr installed), it does fine until it gets to the bottom of the installation checked off items when it gives the error "Fail to install the .prc file". I have my Palm Desktop folder on my D: drive and not in the default location. I'm wondering if that is the problem. Anyone have any idea? I have no problems installing other Treo 300 software and .prc files. Thanks. I've already emailed the PalmNet author and am waiting for a reply. Thanks.
    I installed and registered PalmNet tonight ... installation went smoothly and I was up and running within a few minutes.

I'm a little confused ... I kept reading threads about having to dial #777 on the Treo to insure that you are not charged the dreaded 40 cent/min charge.

I didn't see anyplace to do this ... As soon as I enabled PalmNet on the Treo300, it started doing the handshaking / dialing itself and I was connected within about 30 seconds.

Is Palmnet dialing the #777 itself, or am I missing something so I'm not billed out per minute and actually using 3G?

David
    PalmNet creates a dialup connection dynamically - only seen when connected. After you are connected, you can check that connection and see if it dials #777. It must do, because you'll notice a very slow connection if it is not #777.
    While it is nice to hide all these details from dummies, I think Eddie should set up a static dialup connection instead to save couple seconds for every dialing and let us (not so dumy) be able to tweak the dialup settings.
    I think Eddie should set up a static dialup connection instead to save couple seconds for every dialing and let us (not so dumy) be able to tweak the dialup settings.
    Not a big deal for me, but if he did I would take the opportunity to "enable xp firewall" and "disable netbios over tcp/ip" in wins. These two things, plus unchecking "file and printer sharing" provides adequate protection for the average joe.
    David
    Scott, Please give us a break!

At one point you took your program off the maket because it was too hard to support. The palmnet guy did something that you could not - so please leave his software alone. At least let him have a tread that helps him support his software.

Maybe you could just leave this tread alone. Thanks. I for one am tired of reading your constant complaining.
    don & mike
    Originally posted by don&amp;mike-rule
    Scott, Please give us a break!

At one point you took your program off the maket because it was too hard to support. The palmnet guy did something that you could not - so please leave his software alone. At least let him have a tread that helps him support his software.

Maybe you could just leave this tread alone. Thanks. I for one am tired of reading your constant complaining.
    I applaud PalmNet for an easy to use product that people are quite happy with; I am only defending my product when people say that PalmNet is so much faster. It is faster because you're using USB, not because of the Palm side application.

PalmNet solves a need and that's great. I'm going to post when I feel it is appropriate; I will also defend my product.

Please remember that without my innovation and proving it can be done, PalmNet wouldn't be around. WirelessModem was developed about 9 months ago.
    PalmNet creates a dialup connection dynamically - only seen when connected. After you are connected, you can check that connection and see if it dials #777. It must do, because you'll notice a very slow connection if it is not #777.
    While it is nice to hide all these details from dummies, I think Eddie should set up a static dialup connection instead to save couple seconds for every dialing and let us (not so dumy) be able to tweak the dialup settings.
    I guess I'm still missing something ... I looked in the phone's call history and it doesn't show #777 being dialed anyplace. I also don't see any options to change what is being dialed, so am I assuming correctly that this is all transparent?

David
    Has anyone else experienced where Palmnet will be connected without any apparent problems but Sprint's network stops sending data? The send requests still go out but nothing ever comes back?

I know that if there is no activity Sprint will drop the connection without notifying the Treo, but keep-alive apps do not seem to solve the problem (I've tried a few).

I've seen this kind of behavior on all apps which attempt to maintain a constant data connection (like PalmICQ and Chatter), but it's much easier to track with Palmnet where you can see the data flows; and it looks like the problem has been getting worse. I'm lucky if I can download 500-600k in a single connection before the data network simply stops sending data. Occasionally I'll connect and not get more than 10k before it flakes out.

Is anyone else experiencing this or have any suggestions on how to overcome this issue?

Thanks.
    Originally posted by drw
    Not a big deal for me, but if he did I would take the opportunity to "enable xp firewall" and "disable netbios over tcp/ip" in wins. These two things, plus unchecking "file and printer sharing" provides adequate protection for the average joe.
    DRW, your request is fair and reasonable, especially "disable netbios over tcpip/ip and unchecking "file and printer sharing". I will see what I can do when I have the bandwidth. Stay tuned.
    PdaNet(PalmNet) Support
    <a href="http://www.junefabrics.com/palmnet">http://www.junefabrics.com/palmnet</a>
    Eddie Hui,

This is an awesome app! I was down for getting rid of my Samsung a500 because I used to use it with my laptop to get email on there and browse the web. Finaly a great product that's easy to install and works well! I was in L.A. my brother and using my laptop inconjuntion with the treo 300 was very handy!! Now I have to see if one of those 3rd party usb cables will keep my phone charged when connected to the laptop and using palmnet.

Keep up the awesome work,

hav0k99
    Originally posted by Eddie Hui

DRW, your request is fair and reasonable, especially "disable netbios over tcpip/ip and unchecking "file and printer sharing". I will see what I can do when I have the bandwidth. Stay tuned.
    No, Eddie, please don't simply disable these, but give us the option to enable/disable. Otherwise I'd prefer what it is right now.

Note: I'm not complaining anything, but trying to give some constructive feedback to this new and great product.
    Originally posted by jmccutch
    Is anyone else experiencing this or have any suggestions on how to overcome this issue?
    In my back yard surfing right now. Sure is nice. The other night I downloaded quicktime (over 5 megs) and some windows updates via PalmNet with no probs. Some stay alive app (currently have CNN radio playing in the background) is prudent, but not perfect as you say.
    David
    Originally posted by Eddie Hui

"File and printer sharing" is currently unchecked for my PalmNet connection. Think that's a system wide setting. I was just throwing it out there for anyone who may have it on and not know it because windows tends to check it by default on new installations.
    David
  19. lrk
    Is there any hope for using this with Windows 98? I've had no luck using WirelessModem/IR (I'm a Jane 6-pack).
    Originally posted by lrk
    Is there any hope for using this with Windows 98? I've had no luck using WirelessModem/IR (I'm a Jane 6-pack).
    Quoted from our FAQ page:

Why doesn't PalmNet support Windows 98 and Windows ME?
    It is complicated and expensive to develop or work with Windows device drivers, that is why the current XP/2000 version of PalmNet took us a very long time to complete and stabilize. Unfortunately Windows 98/ME use an older model very different than Windows XP/2000 and it requires totally different code base, that means we need to start over again in order to support Windows 98/Me.

However we haven't totally given it up yet and might still work on a version that will support Windows 98/ME once we get the resources we need in the future.
    PdaNet(PalmNet) Support
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast