Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Two things signify a walking dead connection. Double arrows on the treo are green, and no data is transferring in either direction. If programming could test for this, a forced disconnect<>reconnect would be handy.
    David
    Originally posted by Fixup

Based on my tests at very same conditions, PalmNet shows much better ping time, 296ms vs 761ms. For downloading large files, the speed I got with WM and PN are the same - 50K or so. At the same condition, Samsung A500 gave me constant 100K to 144K downloading speed, no matter how large the file is.
    In your tests, did you have a Linux or Mac box using USB with WirelessModem right next to a Windows box running PalmNet? I don't think you're being fair with your comparisons of WirelessModem vs. PalmNet. While I think it is great that Windows users have a USB solution, I think that your test results are not accurate.
    Not to rag on WirelessModem, but I'm getting some serious throughput w/ PalmNet.

I would suggest that you guys stop benchmarking your speed w/ sites such as dslreports, etc. They give inconsistent and inaccurate results.

I perform my test by downloading a large file (via FTP) from my office which has a dedicated T1 line that no one uses. I just tried right now (while getting 1-2 bars on the Treo) and I'm seeing 120Kbps throughput. I was only able to get about 50Kbps with WirelessModem in the past. As to why? Perhaps I didn't have WirelessModem configured to perform optimally, or perhaps PalmNet is just performing better? I have no idea.
    In order for you guys to compare the speed fairly, I put a 500K compressed file onto a quiet server. Download this file with IE and the transfer rate shows at the end of downloading is quite accurate. 500K is about right because 200K is too small to give an accurate result and 1MB wastes your time too much. I have been using this to compare different vision phones and the results have been consistant. here is the link:

http://test.fixup.net/speed.zip

Try download it several times, same location or different, you'll see the results do not very much and quite trustable.
    When I'm reading this thread, I really wonder why this fantastic peace of soft is not working for the Treo 270.
    I tried installing this program on my laptop for use with my Treo300 and I get an "Error 633: The modem is already in use or is not configured properly" I'm running on WinXP on an IBM ThinkPad T30. I have check the hardware properties and its trying to use a Com7. I went into the device manager and this is the error its reporting: "This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31)"

I've removed the PalmNet software a couple of times, made sure the modem and com7 port is also removed, re-booted and started over. I still get the same errors. If any of you wizards have a clue on how I can resolve it I sure would appreciate it. I sent a request to PalmNet for support but no response yet.

BTW the PalmNet on the Treo installed fine and it does connect to SPCS and attempt to connect to the pc.

I went back and re-read this thread and followed the suggestion to remove the irCOMM, then I re-booted one more time and the problem is fixed.

Last edited by norpah; 03/18/2003 at 08:46 AM.
    I'm still loving PalmNet, but I don't seem to be able to HotSync anymore. I know that PalmNet manages HotSync now, and when I try to HotSync it pops and says - Starting HotSync. But the Treo times out and says that a connection couldn't be made between the handheld and the computer. Am I just missing a config option somewhere, or is something up? Thanks,

Dunc
    Originally posted by denik
    Not to rag on WirelessModem, but I'm getting some serious throughput w/ PalmNet.
    Can I assume you used USB with both WirelessModem (on a Mac or Linux) and USB on Windows? You're not making a fair comparison. While it is your right to make non fair comparisons, you're misleading people. I've tweaked WirelessModem as much as I can and it doesn't help; it all depends on where you are, your connection type, site you download from, etc.

I just installed PalmNet on my Windows 2000 box and ran a test of it vs. WirelessModem where the Treo 300 is in the same location and the same time. In both tests (WirelessModem via USB to Mac OS X and PalmNet via USB to Windows 2000) yielded about 7 KBytes/sec = 56 kbps.

So, when you compare apples to apples, the speeds are about the same. When you connect Windows over serial or IR with WirelessModem, it is definitely going to be slower...not because of the software, but because of the method you're using to connect.

I'm happy that Windows people have a solution...while I wish there was a Windows USB driver for WirelessModem, there isn't.

Good luck with PalmNet!
    With a Windows XP desktop, I tried Palmnet on USB and serial Wireless Modem. Installation issues were absolutely none--it was Plug and Play with no configuration for Palmnet. Palmnet is a bit easier to use than wireless modem with a serial cable---but a one time issue. I did not disconnect Hotsynch and have no conflicts but do not run at same time---opposite of what conventional wisdom has reported.

As for performance in a fairly weak 1 bar area, the results for me were the same on dslreports(not the best test to be sure):

2003-03-18 10:31:41 EST: 28 / 54
    Your download speed : 28056 bps, or 28 kbps.
    A 3.4 KB/sec transfer rate.
    Your upload speed : 54347 bps, or 54 kbps.

This was also roughly the same for my win ME notebook. Best download has been 54.

It should be expected that the USB version will be faster for my use in strong signal areas. Having used both now, and having used the Kyocera 6035 and the Treo 300 modems, signal strength seems to be the most important variable for explaining the wide variance seen and reported.

I do not understand the upload being so much superior to the download, but cluing from Gruby's pointers, it is probably the Sprint proxy trying to help us on the download........

If this unlimited plan of Sprint's continues, it is hard to defend any other cell plan for other than idiosyncratic reasons. With 4 phones and a monthly bill totalling $142.00, I hope they leave me alone so I can get rid of AOL for my travelling ISP. And it is not a far stretch to see getting rid of cable ISP, since with 4 Sprint phones in the house------you could "shotgun" the modems!!!

It looks like a Treo 300 user will not make a mistake with either program, some slight edges to the win USB program. As another observation----neither program has gross incompatabilities and user issues are probably related to previously existing system problems that need to be resolved.
    Here I am at the mall monitoring my daughter in the play area while VPN'ed into our corporate network using Palm Net. Works like a champ. Obviously I'm loosing a little speed by using a VPN tunnel but the ability to get on the corporate network is worth it. I'm ready to sign up and register.

Thought about the Sprint usage. I'll use this only occasionaly so I hope this would classify as accectable usage from Sprint. But if everyone starts to use this, the aggregate may create bandwidth problems on the Vision network. Its fine for now though.

-Juan
    I'm not using Palm Net yet but I'd like to. I just got my statement and was billed the $0.40 per minute for 9 Casual Use Minutes. Looks like they're starting to bill now, and I'm glad I only had 9 minutes. If Palm Net use shows up as these Casual Minutes, I'm nervous about using it very much.
    kattanm, look into the details of your bill (on www.sprintpcs.com) and see what # it called. Was it #777? I was shocked too when I saw this kind of charge showing in the "Additional Usage Charges" of my current bill. I first thought it was for data, but they were for fax I sent via WirelessModem. To be accurate, $.39/minute. If you were dialing other numbers other than #777, you'll be charged too.
    when i leave palmnet and try to go into verichat i get a fatal exception. my treo crashes. anyone else?
    Originally posted by 003oret
    when i leave palmnet and try to go into verichat i get a fatal exception. my treo crashes. anyone else?
    1. Did you disconnect Palmnet from the Treo or from laptop?
    2. After you disconnect, did you wait a few seconds for all the data packets to "dissolve" (lack of a better word) ?
    Originally posted by Fixup
    kattanm, look into the details of your bill (on www.sprintpcs.com) and see what # it called. Was it #777? I was shocked too when I saw this kind of charge showing in the "Additional Usage Charges" of my current bill. I first thought it was for data, but they were for fax I sent via WirelessModem. To be accurate, $.39/minute. If you were dialing other numbers other than #777, you'll be charged too.
    No, it was my ISP's phone number. I was using VNC to control my desktop machine which is behind a firewall, so I was using Mergic VPN. I was assuming with Palm Net I was similarly going to have to dial my ISP, and hence rack up the $.39/min charge. Not the case?
    No, not the case - assuming that you have a Vision plan. Connect with PalmNet, launch your VPN client on your laptop and you're on your network. Last night I was VPN'd in to a network I support, while sitting as the passenger in a car. I was running SQLPlus and rebuilding tables in an Oracle database. Speed was decent, though I didn't take a reading. Great piece of software.

Dunc.
    Is there any way of turning of the screen to avoid burnin while connected to palmnet?
    Originally posted by hav0k99
    Is there any way of turning of the screen to avoid burnin while connected to palmnet?
    Wait a minute... PalmNet does has the built-in support to automatically turn off the backlight after connected for a few seconds, this will conserv battery usage and protect the screen on your PDA.

Is it only me that seeing it working or am I crazy? I saw two posts here asking for something I think is there already.

Sorry for the late support in this thread lately, we need to get a version out for Treo 270 users before they break down my door...
    PdaNet(PalmNet) Support
    Let your PC go online using Treo
    <a href="http://www.junefabrics.com/palmnet">http://www.junefabrics.com/palmnet</a>
    My screen dims too after several seconds of connectivity.

Dunc
    Yes my screen dims too, but is this what you meant the backlight turned off? Based on my experience with laptops, diming the light does not save the battery much and is very bad for the light life.
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast