Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Preemptive
  1.    #1  
    I was wondering if I bought a Treo 180, if it would work today? I saw one on ebay and really want to take it for a spin. I have a Blackberry 5810 and always wanted to test it as well but I don't have BIS to test it. Will these old phones work with modern sims?
    Smartphones: Nokia 5230 > Palm Pre 2 > Nokia 701 (returned) > HP Pre 3 > BB Z10 (save me from it) + HP Touchpad
    Cars: 1993 Subaru Impreza AWD > 2007 Saab 9-3 2.0T

LinkedIn: Matthew Mers
    Twitter: MatthewMers
    Quote Originally Posted by mattmers View Post
    I was wondering if I bought a Treo 180, if it would work today? I saw one on ebay and really want to take it for a spin. I have a Blackberry 5810 and always wanted to test it as well but I don't have BIS to test it. Will these old phones work with modern sims?
    I'd say yes. I can test... I'll update in a while.

That said, my SIM is ancient, but works on the modern network.
    Checking...

Mine works! (180g)

I charged it up, reinstalled everything via hotsync and made a test call to the operator.

Possible problems:
    The old headphone socket problem - may require extensive cleaning or see the other solutions on this forum. I had to plug in the headphone to hear the call.
    Your battery may be shot, but I have disassembled these phones in the past - the battery is stuck to the back cover with a glue pad & a pair of wires plug in to the circuit board. I expect a replacement battery could be found - even a greater capacity one, but you may need to salvage those wires and plug.

As I recall, the back cover is removeable by undoing the four screws on the back. I think this is straightforward, but if there is a problem with the hinge, that's a bit of a nightmare to reassemble.

I haven't bought a SIM in a while and don't know if full sized ones are still available or if there would even be any issue using a mini one in an adaptor.

Other than the lack of modern services, best phone ever. Bring back graffiti.
    Last edited by Preemptive; 08/28/2014 at 07:31 AM.
    krotech and Rnp like this.
  4.    #4  
    cool, I may buy this phone to go with my Blackberry 5810 then. I've always been more of a keyboard guy but graffiti would be great for modern note taking.
    Smartphones: Nokia 5230 > Palm Pre 2 > Nokia 701 (returned) > HP Pre 3 > BB Z10 (save me from it) + HP Touchpad

Funny you mention this... I was looking at my Treo 180g the other day and considering just switching to it. :P
    Did you know:

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by dkirker View Post
    Funny you mention this... I was looking at my Treo 180g the other day and considering just switching to it. :P
    I have seriously become bored with my Blackberry z10 and have been looking at phones lately. To me everything is boring and generic now a days. 2008-2009 were the best mobile years when you had choose in UI and physical design. I think I'll be going back in time with phones since there is just a two way race in rectangles. It gives me a chance to catch up on phones I never had in the past though. will miss the camera and the Browser of my Z10 though.