Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Just saw a posting for this service on another board.

http://service.setnet.com/

At this point it is just for 180/270 owners, with support on the way for the 300.

Quick feature list:

Instant and Guaranteed message delivery time (3 min)
    - SPAM free Inbox
    - POP accounts, HotMail and MSN account access
    - Customizable message filters
    - No polling required
    - Save battery life
    - Save data charges
    - No frequent polling to prevents phone usage
    - No Software required on PC
    - Multiple Account Support
  2.    #2  
    The service does require SMS, so I am assuming that they send out customized SMS (somewhat like Verichat) when new mail is found on your email server. The SMS triggers the PushMail app on your Treo to connect to the PushMail servers and download the mail. All this happening without any user intervention.

I, of course, am just assuming all this, as when I went to test this out, I discovered that I do not appear to be supported. I am in Canada, and the PushMail servers do not seem capable of sending SMS to me by just using my phone number. I have inquired with them about support for other mobile providers, or perhaps sending out SMS in the email form of phonenumber@wirelessprovider.com.
    Using SMS as a trigger isn't a new concept, and it's obvious why it's not available for the Treo 300: Sprint's SMS service is too unrealiable!
    If anyone is running their own server or has the ability to send an SMS message when each piece of mail arrives, let me know and I can send you a copy of my NotifyMail for Palm OS. Same concept (without paying me for a service), but on the Palm side, it triggers Mark/Space Mail or GNU Got Mail to check for mail.

I've been using this for a few months now and it works quite well. With unlimited SMS on Sprint Vision, I don't have to worry about how much mail I get.
    Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    Then this is not "push". The SMS trigger deisgn is crap. What is this, like 200% overhead just to get a message to the deivce ?! I installed a Nextel Blackberry 6510 for one of my clients yesterday. It delivers the message to the handheld about 1/2 second after it arrives in their INBOX. No sync, just push.

Why can't anybody make this work. It looks to me like the Treo 300 has a fixed IP and this should not be that difficult. It's making me want to purchase an SDK and make an e-mail app that actually does everything an e-mail app on this platform should. I'm using the SprintBC (for lack of a better option) and my latency runs up to an hour to receive an new message at times. Lately, I don't even get the trigger SMS about half the time. The best results are about a 30 second latency.

I'd use the Mark/Space Mail client, but there's no conduits for Exchange Server.

Oh well, I feel better now at least...
    Originally posted by KKenna
    Then this is not "push". The SMS trigger deisgn is crap. What is this, like 200% overhead just to get a message to the deivce ?! I installed a Nextel Blackberry 6510 for one of my clients yesterday. It delivers the message to the handheld about 1/2 second after it arrives in their INBOX. No sync, just push.

Why can't anybody make this work. It looks to me like the Treo 300 has a fixed IP and this should not be that difficult. It's making me want to purchase an SDK and make an e-mail app that actually does everything an e-mail app on this platform should. I'm using the SprintBC (for lack of a better option) and my latency runs up to an hour to receive an new message at times. Lately, I don't even get the trigger SMS about half the time. The best results are about a 30 second latency.

I'd use the Mark/Space Mail client, but there's no conduits for Exchange Server.

Oh well, I feel better now at least...
    I don't think you can guarantee that the Treo 300 will have a fixed IP address. Even if it did, I don't think that the Treo would wake up when an incoming packet arrived. I know what you're looking for (take a look at my NotifyMail for the desktop...uses the same idea), but I don't think it can be done with the Treo.
    Nevermind.
    Last edited by Maniac8888; 03/14/2003 at 12:43 PM.
    It can, and does, work with IMAP eMail in Chatter. True push; no SMS.

Unfortunately, Chatter isn't intended as a full eMail app. I merely wanted to point out that it IS entirely possible.

- m
    First, I agree strongly with mblank regarding Chatter. It is push mail and it works very well (with IMAP e-mail). Second, T-Mobile has an alert option that lets you know via SMS that you received (POP) e-mail, and the alert comes with the senderís name and the subject of the e-mail. You can then fetch your e-mail. At this point this alert option with T-Mobile is sufficient enough for me. Push mail via SMS does not appeal to me at all.
    My 2 cents.
    M00se
    Last edited by m00se; 03/14/2003 at 05:44 PM.
    I have never let my schooling interfere with my education.
    -Mark Twain
    I've been using NotifyMail for the Palm for a while now, and I love it. It's not true "push" e-mail, but it's certainly close enough for me.

It recognizes the SMS notification I get, and then tells Mark/Space Mail to go check my mail. So basically, whenever I open my Treo, it's always got all my mail.

And now with unlimited SMS on T-Mobile, I can use it and IM as much as I want without worrying about it at all.
    Originally posted by mblank
    It can, and does, work with IMAP eMail in Chatter. True push; no SMS.
    You have a full-time open connection with the server, or you are listening on a socket? How much baby-sitting must you do to maintain a persistent socket.. I haven't investigated that much, but since the network code is on a whole thread by itself, I presume it does most of the baby-sitting.

I once tried getting push going without any open sockets, but the packets would bounce. I figured that maybe the wireless apparatus would soften an incoming UDP datagram, and allow me to pluck it from the radio buffer a few seconds later. But I found the packets would immediately bounce if I didn't have a UDP socket open. At the time I was going for passive data reception, as I didn't want any transmission from the device.

One thing I found very interesting is how very closely the time of the device will match the time of a atomic synced server. I was also trying approaches where I periodically opened a UDP socket on the device and waited for a packet at certain intervals -- which would be in sync with transmission (from the server) due to the sub-second time sync.

Anyways the cool thing about SMS is it doesn't require a data connection. So you can use it as a trigger, and then have a temporary data connection to retrieve the mail. As I spend more time on TreoHelper I'm finding that the data connection (on the 300) is a contributing factor to the turbo drain syndrome which occurs in poor reception areas.
    I think SMS is a short to medium term solution. Once persistent connections work well and are more readily available, there's simply no use for it. It's VERY old technology, has many limitations, and adds additional server(s) to the mix. In addition, opening a connection (having received an SMS) is time-consuming, typically synchronous, and generates additional data load. While it may be a good solution today, it's certainly not a keeper.

- m
    Originally posted by sgruby
    but on the Palm side, it triggers Mark/Space Mail or GNU Got Mail to check for mail.
    What about other e-mail apps such as Snapper or Iambic?
    m00se
    I have never let my schooling interfere with my education.
    -Mark Twain
    Originally posted by mblank
    In addition, opening a connection (having received an SMS) is time-consuming, typically synchronous, and generates additional data load.
    Intermittent connections need to be optimized. I cache the DNS entry, and I've stopped using interactive protocols, and moved towards an HTTP request to improve performance. The response then to an SMS is pretty decent at that point. There is a connection to an IP, a 100-byte or so HTTP request transmit and then a stream of back to back RFC822 formatted gzip-compressed messages.

Like you implied though, a native POP3 or IMAP is a waste of batteries. But it depends on your usage pattern. I wanted full mailing lists coming to the device, and yet have a minimal impact on active connection duration and battery life. I *had* to move away from interactive protocols to do that, the round-trip-time otherwise is horrendous on wireless. But I think they work fine for people who don't do tons of messages/day.
  15.    #15  
    Wooo, the backlash from a frustrated Treo community that can't quite get exactly what it's looking for.
  16.    #16  
    The developer has worked with me on getting support for Fido users, and I can now receive SMS notifications.

There are a couple of interesting things that I like about this service:

1) Message rules & SPAM filtering: Through the settings page you can enable Whitelists (only allow mail through that match a specific criteria) or Blacklists (block mail that match a specifc criteria), as well as a SPAM filter to block known spammers. I assume they subscribe to an RBL of some-sort.

2) Notifications: You can enable notifications of mail on a daily basis for a specified time range. ie: Monday - 8AM-6PM, Tuesday - 10AM-10PM etc. Also, you can set how often you want them to poll your mail server. Any where between 2 mins, and I think it was 2 hrs.

A drawback of course is no attachment handling.
    <soapbox>I'm sorry, but I am having a little trouble with the "technology purists" out here that are nit picking between "real" push email vs. SMS triggered email.

I have heared someone complain that with "real" push email, the device would get the email within two seconds of when the message showed up on the desktop. I can tell you as a user of both Sprint Business Connect and Treo Mail, that this seems to beat these applications by maybe around ten seconds.

I have to say, first of all, if your email is that time sensitive, THEY SHOULD BE CALLING YOU ON THE PHONE, not sending you email.

Secondly, the point is really pointless. Unless the solution controlls the email server, you ain't getting it in anything close to real time. Many of these solutions use an agent that ties in with your outlook client. Your communicator gets the email within moments of Outlook knowing about it. But unless you are using an Exchange server, Outlook doesn't know about it immediately either. So, what do you want polling? Outlook or your Palm email app?

As for efficiency, SMS messages are so small that they are barely useful as anything BUT triggers. There is more overhead involved in the secure channel that my email apps try and create, which is also useless as the mail I am reading from that web server didn't receive my mail through a secure channel.

Guys, if you get your email within seconds, it don't matter if it is pushed or trigger-pulled. Personally, I am getting so much email on this damn device, I am thinking of going back to a fifteen minute delivery schedule just to stop myself from getting interrupted every two minutes. </soapbox>

Sorry for any firestorm that may result of this message
    Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    My point was really more one of frustration that the SMS triggered pull has too many things that can (and definately will) go wrong when you consider the reliability factor of SMS on Sprint's network. You're 100% right about the differences between push and triggered pull being esoteric, but the pull feature (in all cases that I've tried at least), causes the phone to be dedicated to the sync feature for a period of 10-30 seconds. This is because of the overhead involved with this model of delivering messages to your handheld. If the model included only sending the message and then returning message status, the amount of time for this would be severly reduced. It's so frustrating to flip the cover of your Treo open to make a phone call or make an entry in your calendear, only to have to wait for a polling to finish. My point with my pbservations of the 6510 were more that the message just instanly appeared on the device. No polling to wait for. The other fix for this in my mind would be to have all this happen in the background and not tie up the handset. You just get a notification when there is a new message, end of story.
    Did anyone try 2bAnywhere (2banywhere.com)?
    It's a genuine pull mail that works with Hotmail/SMS as well as POP3 and IMAP4.
    The beta version is free and their help desk is efficient and quick to answer.
    I have been using them for months now and I am quite happy.
    Originally posted by dennis3232
    Did anyone try 2bAnywhere (2banywhere.com)?
    It's a genuine pull mail that works with Hotmail/SMS as well as POP3 and IMAP4.
    The beta version is free and their help desk is efficient and quick to answer.
    I have been using them for months now and I am quite happy.
    It is OK and does support Hotmail but their IMAP4 is not RFC compliant and would be considered rudimentary at best. It seems they have spent a lot of time lately providing nationalization support at the expense of on-going feature development (like the aforementioned full IMAP4 support). But, if one absolutely has to have Hotmail support, this is it.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast