1.    #1  
    I think I'm confused about this whole "always on" connection thing. Here my experience:

I have good phone reception (a few bars) and I'm on the vision network but not send/receiving (got grey arrows). When I open Blazer and goto to an uncached web page, most often I get "Connecting..." for a minute and then it times out i guess and says,"Blazer could not complete the page download. Please try again later."

Now if I discconect and reconnect to the vision service, it will work fine. If fact I started having Blazer "disconnect on exit" in the preferences so that it has to reconnect when it starts up. If blazer has to connect every time it starts up, it works fine with no time outs.

Is this how things are supposed to work? What's you experience/ suggestions?
    Anyone know quick ways to connect and disconnect to vision service (the green/grey arrows)?

Thanks guys,
    Jeff
  2.    #2  
    Or maybe hacks for Blazer? Cmon someone throw me a bone here...

<sound of crickets chirping>
    Its just that the subject has been beaten to death around here.

The Treo and Sprint have a little bug that the vision connection can drop without the Treo realizing it. The Treo never realizes it because it isn't trying to send any keep alive messages or anything that might fail (because they are trying to minimize traffic for those unfortunate souls that didn't get the unlimited access plan). The first time it realizes that the connection has gone bye-bye is when you bring up Blazer (as you described) or some other network app.

I wish there were an answer for you. It is a bug that either Sprint or Handspring (probably both) have to fix.

What I have found is that if you use a mail program that goes out and "pulls" email on a regular basis, it will often keep the connection up. More correctly, it will bring the connection back up by itself when it goes down. It isn't fool proof, but it used to be that if I didn't do anything on the network for an hour or two, the connection would be down when I tried it. After installing mail programs that poll automatically, there seems to be only a one-in-three chance that I have found it in a failed state. Email programs (that I am aware of) that poll include TreoMail, Sprint Business Connect and SnapperMail. There may be others, but i don't know them.

Good luck.
  4.    #4  
    Ok. Thanks for getting me up to speed at least.

Jeff
    Thanks Druce - I just learned something too! That was very helpful.
    Carbon: I also keep my cache set at ZERO. I find (and so do others) that pages in Blazer seem to load faster. This probably has nothing to do with vision but just thought I would toss that in.
  6.    #6  
    Originally posted by Llynx
    Carbon: I also keep my cache set at ZERO. I find (and so do others) that pages in Blazer seem to load faster. This probably has nothing to do with vision but just thought I would toss that in.
    Thanks Llynx. I'll try that, but then hitting your "back" button will reload the last page instead of quickly displaying it from cache right? Hmmmm
    Originally posted by Llynx
    i found this to be the best way so far to speed up blazer
    Just tried setting cache to zero. I agree, it does seem to be faster. Thanks for the tip.

I have noticed that sites which require a log-in do not "remember" my id and I always have to sign in again. I thought blazer did save cookies. Can someone help me here - is there a way to get these sites to remember me?

Thanks.
    Originally posted by dougef
    Just tried setting cache to zero. I agree, it does seem to be faster. Thanks for the tip.

I have noticed that sites which require a log-in do not "remember" my id and I always have to sign in again. I thought blazer did save cookies. Can someone help me here - is there a way to get these sites to remember me?

Thanks.
    Do you have the "Accept Cookies" option checked off under Prefereces>Advanced?
    >Do you have the "Accept Cookies" option checked off under Prefereces>Advanced?

Yes, I do.