1.    #1  
    The 2032 PocketPC phone from Toshiba had been calling my name for quite some time. A few days ago I broke down and bought one, despite eveything I had read.

Pros:
    Brilliant display; fits much more info than the treos
    Build; this thing feels like $700
    PocketPC interface; slick and sweet.

Cons:
    Not really a telephone
    Big and bulky (but somewhat thin)
    PDA/phone integration

While the 2032 was not a complete flop, it will only work for a somewhat "special" group of people. I really wanted to like this phone but after 72 hours of "dealing" with it, I had enough.
    The biggest dissapointment was vision and the web. I thought that the 206mhz processor would liven up the online experience to the point of a desktop with a 56k connection. Not even close. I saw no noticable increase in speed over the treo, in addition, blazer was much better than explorer. I constantly found myself scrolling from left to right in order to find relevant info, were blazer would have re-formatted it to one screen. Maybe it is the proxy server, regardless, it is a much better system. As for streaming video/music, even after the EUU3 update, (winmedia 8.5)was still choppy and slow to the point of being useless.

Email also saw no noticable improvement in speed. The transcriber feature which is supposed to turn normal cursive/print or combination of handwriting into text was off more than it was on.

Date/ address book were similar to the palm os. Not worth talking about.

Integration was not very good. Ringing volume is adjusted by the main system volume. So if you want a loud ring, you better be ready for a loud everything else. The 2032 could dial out of the contact list and even had the icon in the watcher (phone) screen. The Audiovox Thera (apparent clone) can not.

The phone was a dissapointment, even though I was not expecting much. Turning the phone upside down is not a feasible alternative. The speaker/amp produces a ton of distortion and when your ear is near the phone it as blatently apparent. Also even the lowest setting is far too loud. I did use a registry editor to tweak the volume of the speaker/mic internally. It worked, but the unit still suffored from high distortion. The headset worked well, but everyone knows that is not always a workable alternative. The best part (worst) is that no matter what you do, the phone will not ring when the headset is plugged in. Only vibrate.

Battery was sufficient. I read horror stories, but found that it would get me through a day with a little to spare. However, there is not battery icon, it can only be checked through the settings menu. Watch out!

I will miss the robustness of the pocketpc inteface. I loved the "today" default screen. Told me everyhting I need to know at once. Appointments, emails, todos, etc. MP3 and stored video also worked well. The expansion slot was nice.

I really wanted to like this phone but in the end it felt good to switch back to the smaller, lighter, and efficent treo. (who would have ever thought!!!)

I think that palm is in trouble, and I will be very eager to get my hands on a "phone edition" for sprint. But until then, the treo is still the undisputed heavyweight in my book.

-rob
    Originally posted by robber
    I will miss the robustness of the pocketpc inteface. I loved the "today" default screen. Told me everyhting I need to know at once. Appointments, emails, todos, etc.
    Have you tried the "Today" program for Palm OS. It is freeware and skinable.

<http://www.palmgear.com/software/sho...8&prodID=38922>

It's a good approximation of the PPC Today screen, unfortunately it is not linked to Snapper Mail, which I use, so I don't get email notification, but other than that it's great.

Best,
    --Mathew
    Originally posted by mathewlu

Have you tried the "Today" program for Palm OS. It is freeware and skinable.

<http://www.palmgear.com/software/sho...8&prodID=38922>

It's a good approximation of the PPC Today screen, unfortunately it is not linked to Snapper Mail, which I use, so I don't get email notification, but other than that it's great.

Best,
    --Mathew
    Check out the new version of Wassup:

http://www.palmgear.com/software/sho...2&prodID=42044

it now offers SnapperMail support.
    Iambic also offers a good 'Today' view, as part of their Agendus suite. (note that e-mail status requires use of their mail program).

www.iambic.com

I really like Agendus (formerly Action Names)
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    As you point out, the Toshiba is not a "phone edition" pocket PC. If you are interested in one, check out the upcoming Hitachi Pocket PC Phone edition. It has a thumboard and a very fast processor (400 MHz). It has been discussed here before. Check out this thread: http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...5&pagenumber=1
    Jeff
    Originally posted by robber
    The biggest dissapointment was vision and the web. I thought that the 206mhz processor would liven up the online experience to the point of a desktop with a 56k connection. Not even close. I saw no noticable increase in speed over the treo, in addition, blazer was much better than explorer.
    Thanks for mentioning this as I was curious about this. That's disappointing.

As someone else said, I use the freeware Today program. Congratulations to the wassup folks for adding SnapperMail support, though (which I also use). Still, I'm cheap. Also, it looks like wassup doesn't show you your appointments for the day, just how many you have. Add that, and maybe I'll spend the $7. Maybe.

Scott
    Originally posted by Scott R

<snip>

Also, it looks like wassup doesn't show you your appointments for the day, just how many you have. Add that, and maybe I'll spend the $7. Maybe.

Scott
    It shows the daily appointments just fine.
    i also wanted to like this phone but went thru 3 of them in 2 weeks. Backlight kept breaking on them. otherwise I loved it. As for the wireless web, you should have tried thunderhawk by bitstream. that browser is so good it is worth switching back to pocket pc just for that.
    Originally posted by ShadowDweller

Check out the new version of Wassup:

http://www.palmgear.com/software/sho...2&prodID=42044

it now offers SnapperMail support.
    That link seems to be version 4.1, but it is actually an older pre-snappermail support version.

Go to the main site for the latest download:

http://www.pocketscience.com.au